As a teacher, this quote is important for me to remember each and every day. We tend to get stuck in a mode where we are worried about everyone doing well on “the test” instead of what children actually know. Sometimes a student doesn’t do well on a test, or doesn’t write an amazing essay…but that doesn’t mean that they don’t understand the material. Although it is not feasible to give students an unlimited number of options as to how they want to demonstrate their understanding of knowledge, teachers must remember to give student various ways of showing they understand.
One year, when teaching the novel Holes, I asked the students to draw a map or an illustration of Camp Green Lake instead of writing a paragraph about the exposition of the novel. Some students who had difficulty in the past with writing turned in the most amazing maps of the setting of the novel. I was so impressed, and it reinforced this idea that students need various ways of demonstrating their understanding to teachers.
This semester, in a writing course, it will be impossible not to grade students based on their writing. The nice thing about this course is that there will be so many opportunities and various types of writing that all students will find some type of writing in which they excel. These reflections are key in allowing students to “stretch their legs” and look at writing in a whole new way. To write and not be graded. To write and not have to worry about having perfect grammar. To write and try new things without fearing a penalty. This should give students the change to feel a little more freedom, try something new, and allow their writing to advance and grow. My hope is that students who typically think of writing as a “chore” or something in which they do not excel, will have a new appreciation for writing and their writing ability by the time we finish this course.
I completely agree with this quote. Many people are great at certain things, but lack experience or skills in another area. I, for example, like to think of myself as relatively good at school. I’m in honors classes, I’m an honor roll student, and I’m pretty social. But when it comes to sports, I really can’t do much. When I was in the third grade, I started playing soccer. Soccer is the sport that almost everyone played when they were younger, at least for a little while. It’s supposed to be easy and fun. My first year starts, and I join the team with all my friends. Bad idea… That team is the “good team”. I however, am not very good. I start to realize that. It becomes clear in my 8 year old mind that I am absolutely TERRIBLE at sports. But I keep playing to try and get better. But instead of better, I just get fat. But I keep going, knowing that I’m not skilled. I play until 5th grade, and then quit. And I loathed soccer. But then I found that just because I’m not good at one thing, doesn’t mean that I can’t be good at another. So I understand this quote.
Many will understand this quote, but some will feel like the fish described, they might not feel like a genius because of bullies, grades, or even depression. But some will be surprised to learn that Albert Einstein was claimed a moron by his teachers, he then excelled in school. Albert Then did many great things in his life, like the square route of pi. Many people may feel like Einstein did when he was young, many will be bullied and hated, but everybody, is a genius. Thomas J.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.” I feel that this quote, written by Albert Einstein, was made to set a positive effect on people. What I think he means by this is that all people are smart. But, if you judge someone, or something, on something you may or may not think they can do, they may go on never believing they can achieve success on that. To me, this quote is all about believing. If you truly believe in something you want to do or try, go for it and see where it takes you. Just because you may fail once, doesn’t mean it will always be that way. Everybody fails once in their life. No matter how intelligent they are, not everyone can succeed unless they keep trying. So, Albert Einstein is saying, to me, that even if you try and don’t succeed, if you keep trying to reach your goal it could bring you great things.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” I really enjoy this quote. I saw this quote the other day and I believe that it could not be any truer. The quote is saying that everybody truly is a genius, but if you judge them by what they cannot do, it will make them believe that they are stupid. This quote reminds me of myself and others I know at school. Teachers will test us and we have to take classes that we know we are no good at. So, because of this it makes kids believe that they are stupid. I am significantly better at English that I am at math. Although, we have way more tests in math class. You are tested on things you know you are not good at. Let’s say there is a kid who is a fantastic student and extremely smart but is terribly weak and athletic. This kid has a test in his gym class on strength. If we test this kid on his strength he will go along believing that he is stupid and not able to do things. When actually he is extremely smart and great at school. You would be testing the child on something that he cannot do and then it ends up making the child think that he is stupid. This quote is saying that everybody is a genius but if you judge them by what they cannot do, it will make them believe that they are stupid. I see this as a one hundred percent true fact and I have seen it happen in every aspect of life. Why judge people by what they cannot do, when we can see what they are good at and can do?
I agree with this quote. All people have their talents. However, many of them are not able to show them because of the situation they are in. For example you can’t ask a human to fly but you can ask someone to run. Also, many kids in school relate to this. They may good at music or art but not at math and English. Therefore, people have a bad impression of their intellectual level. I myself can relate to it. I am more of an academic person so I hated the day in elementary school when we went to art. I knew I wasn’t good at it and that discouraged me. However, I finally realized that I’m just not good at art and that doesn’t mean I’m not intelligent. I also thought that it was weird that Albert Einstein had wrote this quote. He seems like a guy who wouldn’t think about things like moral and worry more about science. It is a wired quote and almost seems a little funny. However, when you think about it has a deep meaning. Not only is it just a thought it is also a motivation to let adults and kids alike that they aren’t stupid.
This quote means to me, that you will be let down in life, but there is still something good out there for you.
It reminds me of when my sister Sarah applied to Poolesville High School. She could have gotten accepted, but she wasn’t in algebra at the time so they sent her a letter saying that she couldn’t go there. She was really upset because she always got straight A’s, she just wasn’t in algebra. So I think that is kind of what this quote means. Many times in life people are rejected or put down because they are judged by just one little quality they aren’t best at. My sister ended up going to U Penn, and is now happily married. She might not have gone to the school she wanted to, but she is definitely happy with her life.
I think this is a quote that everyone should think about if they are in a sticky situation, and should live by.
What???? To me this quote means nothing! In no way do I understand this! NO fish can climb a tree, I’m sure in some way this quote would be considered deep and relatable, but as an 8th grader this quote means nothing. Obviously Albert Einstein was a genius, but at the moment that he said something as deep as this, he might had thought back and said wait, lots of people might not have understood that. I am one of those people! If fish can’t climb trees, than how can you judge it on how well it can climb a tree? Plus a fish can’t think it’s stupid, because it already is. I mean, fish see a fishing hook and their like, OOOOh that’s shiny! I think I should try to eat it! To me this has no point!!!
You Really don't get this? The fish Actually is a genius, Everything is a genius in some way, like you could be amazing at math but bad at science, That doesn't make you stupid, Some people might judge you because of your skills and call you stupid, but the fact is you're not. I hope you rethink your answer.
The quote “everybody is a genius…” is a true quote, BUT of you never tell someone what they cannot do and are not strict about it then you “the fish” will never try harder to “climb the tree”. You can do TWO things at this point you can feel bad for yourself and live your whole life believing you are stupid OR you can take the comments and turn them into a reason to try harder keep trying. “This is my logic you do not have to agree” All you should do is think about what I am saying.
This is the most unusual quote I’ve ever heard of in my life. I though Albert Einstein was smart but I did not expect this from him. I think this quote means not to judge people by their ability to do one thing and label them as dumb or stupid but to find what they are exceptional at. Almost like the saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” So, what if someone lacks social skills but is super smart at math? Would you label them as dumb because he/she doesn’t know how to react? OR would you label him/her as smart because he/she gets all the answers right?
As a student, this quote is a good way to look at life of everybody is a genius in their own way of life. However, if u judge anyone or anything by what they aren’t really a genius at, they will be bullied and think they are stupid at what they are a genius at. For example, if someone is really good at soccer and then they are forced to play baseball and they are terrible at; then they would think they are so stupid to not know how to play baseball. On the other hand they need to realize the good in life, like such as they are really good at soccer and stick with that sport instead of baseball. Albert Einstein says this quote and speaks a good moral for life that to don’t live in want and realize what important and special things u already have in life!
I love this quote, it is always interesting to see other people’s view on certain things. At first I was surprised to see that Albert Einstein created this quote because he was one of the greatest geniuses of all time. Then I realized that he was probably judged on his appearances instead of being judged intellectually. People automatically judge each other, sometimes whether we mean to or not. We have such a narrow mind sets sometimes, we do not appreciate how different we are from one another. And without appearances and thoughts that differentiate from one another, we would not have some of the amazing things and people that we have today. It is so easy to write someone off as being weird or different in a horrible way. No one is perfect, so why judge all the imperfections? We gain nothing by doing this this yet we still do this. We are just so used to seeing others in a certain way, it is hard to ever change ourselves. Bad habits are hard to break, but we are never going to get better if we don’t try.
After two years of going through middle school I’ve experienced many things. When I read this quote I can relate to what is going on. A couple of times I have seen this happen to many people. Some people can pick stuff up very easily, yet others have a more difficult time. Playing an instrument, learning a new language, and even certain subjects in school can affect the way you learn new skills. Even if they affect the way you learn, they can be great skills to have. If you ever get judged by someone just because you cannot do it on your first try, it does not mean that you are bad at it, it just means that you need to practice more and more. If you put yourself down, then you should just keep trying at it. It may be the way you learn or the way you take in a new skill that will make you struggle, but you still are smart. Even though it may seem like you are bad at something, you still can be good at it. Everybody is a genius.
After reading the quote, “everybody is a genius” I realized that this quote does relate to me in my lifestyle. Personally because there is a bunch of stuff that I’m able to do or know about and people will constantly doubt me. For example, sometimes in classes I won’t always be the best or the smartest or definitely not the quickest and mostly people will just judge me on it. I personally don’t like that because I know a lot more about me then they do obviously because I live my life the way I do. This quote just makes me realize about myself that there’s always going to be people out there in this weird and unfair, or uneven world that will make you want to feel down about yourself. They hate, doubt, discriminate, and judge you maybe because of one thing you do. As in this book, people judge a fish on the way it can climb a tree. Fishes aren’t meant to climb trees. They’re meant to swim. Swimming is what fishes do best. The same goes for a scenario in which I could be described in. Say someone were to judge me on the way I learn or do stuff in English class… they would think that I’m not that smart because English is probably one of my worst subjects. I don’t always do well in English, and most of the times I do honestly try to succeed, I’m just not that good at writing or reading. People would judge me in English class but may never see how good I good I do in say math or science class. I also could have many more examples for this such as out of school activities. In my free time I love to skateboard and it’s the one and only thing I will do non-stop for a million years if I had to because I love it so much. Therefor I’m outside skateboarding a lot and sometimes people will see me. They might judge me on my personality or the way I skate and they don’t actually see what I like to skate or where I skate. I may actually be able to do more than they think and all they need to do is not judge and learn how to know someone and not judge them.
Everybody’s a Genius My response to this quote is, when would a fish ever have to climb a tree? Where would a fish even find a tree in the first place? Under what circumstance would a fish ever have to climb a tree? Even if they did have to climb for a tree, if they even find one, why would they agree to that? Of course there not going to succeed, there fish. They’re too slippery and wet to climb one, plus it’s too steep and they wouldn’t be able to breathe, causing them to flop around and falling off the tree every time. If I was the fish, I’d say, “Oh look, a tree. Should I climb it? nah.” And if the other fish for some reason picked on me and called me stupid because I didn’t climb it, I’d respond like this, “Can you climb it? Hhhhhmmm? HHHHHHMMMMMMM?” and if they still called me dumb, I’d respond like this, “How does not climbing a tree make me dumb? You can’t climb a tree either, so that makes you dumb too. In fact, no fish can climb that tree, so I guess you’re really calling all fish dumb.” Then I’d swim off in the sunset.
I definitely agree with this comment. Even after I read this quote I still was judging other people by what they couldn't do but this comment showed me that other people are smart even if they can't do what i can do.
Everybody Is Genius I do understand this quote, it’s actually very smart. I like this quote, I feel teachers should live by this. I’ve had tons of teachers (especially gym and math teachers) try to tell me to do something that I’m not capable of. I really don’t like it, and that is why schools try to place you in classes that you’re able to do well in, but it’s still not good enough. I don’t know why, I know we all need all aspects of our education, but I feel they should make more classes fit to your abilities. If I’m not good at math, yes, I’ll try, but don’t you dare try to make me solve an equation. I want to make classes fun, I love music, so maybe make educational songs! Math is not my best subject, but I won’t completely put it off. Maybe during the day I’d be more enthusiastic about a subject, if had some more fun classes. I love to sing. If we could have some music culture class, and I could look forward to it, I would never hate any subject. (I feel like I’m ranting, but if I rant, you know I’m passionate about something.) This quote, in a way, makes me sad. Because in some instances, if a person can’t do something everyone else can, it kind of lower’s their drive even more. I think if teachers know their students can’t at all do something, they should either help them, or redirect them. It’s just like asking a cheerleader to play football, I would try that, but that’s crazy. Hahaha. Anyway, that quote is amazing, and I think I’ll make it my motto. Everyone should!
What the heck? I guess I can relate like when everybody else can do something and I can’t. And then you dub it stupid because it can’t climb a tree when the fish is supposed to be swimming. So in a way I understand this daily reflection even though it compares a fish climbing a tree. The way I can relate is that in sixth grade math there was this one problem that took me all the period to do when it took every one else like 3 seconds. In a way I guess the math problem was the tree and I was the fish. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I’m done boop.
What is the definition of “stupid”? Typically this word is associated with academics, but I believe there is more to it than that. Although maybe I would be considered smart in that I get good grades, I am “stupid” at, say, football. There is not a single person on this planet who does not have a talent. Maybe it’s athletics. Maybe it’s academics. Maybe it’s something so special that it could make them famous. Everyone has their “thing”, and I think that sometimes kids that aren’t necessarily “gifted” in their schoolwork are convinced that they are “stupid” just because they are told that that is the only worthwhile thing to be good at. We must keep in mind that the real definition of stupid has nothing to do with being unintelligible in any one area- it is just being unintelligible overall. Furthermore, I believe that anyone who thinks they are good at everything is stupid, but anyone who is genuinely trying to do anything well, not just giving a half-hearted attempt, but really putting their heart and soul in to it and trying, is not stupid. Anyone who has the sense to do that is a genius. Christine J
Let’s say you were a fish. Usually, fish swim, not walk or climb. If you were a fish, and someone told you that you can’t climb a tree, you would just believe them. You would live your whole life believing that. But, what if you actually could? What if you could climb a tree, even though you were a fish? It may seem impossible, but what if it isn’t? You would have to try. And you might even have to try more than once. Just like those posters that teachers have in their classroom that say, “Try. Try Again. And again. And again.” I’ve seen a lot of those posters. Anyways, if you try to climb the tree, and you make it, you’ll prove the person who told you that you can’t climb a tree, that you actually did it. And you would be a genius.
As a musician, this quote reminded me of when I was in band class. My teacher asked me to play a scale that I didn’t recognize. After him trying to convince me that I knew that scale, he finally realized that it was a scale for the trumpet, whereas I was playing the clarinet. This quote also reminded me of a time when my soccer coach wanted us to sprint as fast as we could from point “A” to point “B”. I am not the best of sprinters, so I didn’t do very well. I thought that I was just a bad soccer player/runner.
I understand what this means. It means that you don’t judge anyone, all you have to do is worry about yourself not anyone else. It is rude to judge people about what they can and cannot do. When I was in the 4rd grade I did not know how to tie my shoe. Everyone would laugh at me about that. So I kept trying over and over again till I did it. So if the fish kept on trying he would be able to climb that tree.i think it also refers to “don’t judge a book by its cover”. It may not be able to do it but it has a big heart so over time it over and will be able to climb the tree. If was the fish I would keep trying over and over until I get it.
As a student’s point of view I think that this quote means that if other people Don’t believe in your abilities then you won’t either. If we don’t believe that a fish Can climb a tree that fish probably won’t believe it either and that’s when the low Self Steam takes its part because then the fish thinks he is stupid because he can’t Climb a tree.
EXAMPLE #1 last year all my friends used to think that I was short because they We’re really tall from my perspective so after being called short so many times I Started to believe that I was short so I lost my hopes of being tall. So the point that I am making is that most people on the world only believe in the in themselves if others believe in them to.
I really agree with this statement because now it all makes sense that everyone has different abilities and just because one person can’t do one thing that someone else can do, doesn’t make the other person stupid, doesn’t mean that that person isn’t good enough, it just means that that person needs to show what they can do. At times I find myself judging other people on their abilities and I really do need to realize that everyone is a genius in their own way. And i think that everyone should take this the way that i do, that everyone is gifted in there own way.
I think this quote can be true in everyday life. I don’t care about what other people say about what I can and can’t do. If people tell me that I can’t play a sport then that will make me want to try harder to prove to them that I can do it. In this case the fish is not going try harder because people said that he cannot climb. The fish should believe in his choices like I do and not worry about what his peers think. One time when I was little, someone said that I couldn’t shoot a basketball from the 3-point line. Every day I practiced that shot and got better at it every time I shot it. Finally I proved to that person that I could make the shot. If you strive for everything they do, then you will always succeed.
Even though I do agree with the quote I also agree with this comment. This is kind of saying that we should tell people that they are stupid but still we do also need to be conscious of other peoples feelings.
I most definitely agree with this quote. In my opinion everybody IS a genius, but we are all geniuses in our own special ways. I remember one time on the bus I was telling my friend about my math class. I was in a higher math than she was and she was starting to feel a little self-conscious. She was calling herself stupid and stuff like that I felt really bad for her so I tried to comfort her. I told her that while I might be smart where math in concerned she was smart in other stuff such as art and baking. This quote is all about how even if you’re not good at one thing does not make you stupid, it just means that you’re smart in another way. This quote makes you see that you are a genius, maybe not the same type of genius as your friend, but still a genius.
I really agree with this quote. I can relate to it in my own way. Every summer, my family and I go to Deep Creek Lake with our neighbors. My family only goes once a year while our neighbors are there just about every week. We all wake up really early and go out on the boat to waterski and wakeboard. That part of the day is really fun for me since I’m actually pretty good at waterskiing. Although when we go back out on the boat later in the afternoon to go tubing, well, that part I don’t like. My neighbors are all like pros on the tube. They never fall off. Well whenever I take my turn, I fall of as soon as the tube goes over the wake. Even the youngest member of my neighbor’s family who is 7 years old can go faster than me and not fall off. So of course as soon as I get back in the boat after tubing, everyone is making fun of me and telling me that I am weak. Well first of all, I am a soccer player, I don’t actually use my arms that much. Secondly, I only go to the lake once a year, my neighbors go 10 times that amount. So it was unfair to say that. I’m not used to riding the tube and I don’t really know how to get a good grip. So yes, I definitely agree with this quote. If they asked me to go 1 on 1 in soccer, or run a race against them, well then they really wouldn’t be laughing at me anymore.
I have above-average grades in school, (Not counting papers that I fail to turn in on time) and I am not very good socially. Yesterday, in math class, a classmate was asking me if I was stupid. Since I, not good socially as I said, did not respond, he automatically assumed I was stupid. In this case, I am a bit like the fish, but I don’t spend the rest of my life believing that I am stupid. “I am, relatively, a genius, but if you judge me by my ability to talk to other people, I will seem like a moron.” I don’t mean to be a narcissist, but I feel that I have to say it… or rather, type it. Anyway, I should stay on topic. I once judged my four-year-old sister's ability to read and do other things, something that most people could only do with at least a Kindergarten education, which she does not have, so even my sister is a bit like the fish. Yay!
I'm so glad that writing gives you another outlet to communicate and express your feelings and emotions. It is so cute that you see a little bit of yourself in your little sister!
Loved this spin on Einstein's quote: “I am, relatively, a genius, but if you judge me by my ability to talk to other people, I will seem like a moron.” All the introverts know what you mean!
Everyone and everything has their own special skills and talents. Some of these talents are known right from the beginning. For example, a light bulb’s talent has always been to shine light. For other things, the talent is not known as easily. The talent is hidden away anxious to pop out and show the world. You can`t expect a talent to change, because it’s very hard to do such a thing. It wouldn’t be quite fair to ask a pro wrestler to make a gourmet omelet, or ask a surgeon to win an Olympic gold medal. A person can try to obtain more talents, but this is very difficult. The world is full of countless talents that are waiting to shine through. If you haven’t found your talent quit yet, don’t worry- your talent will find you.
Everybody is a Genius As a kid, I understand this quote. When you’re a kid you are told you can’t do many thing, but that is not true. If you tell a kid they aren’t good at something then they will not even try it. If you don’t try something how is there any way of knowing if you are good at it. When my friend was a little kid she was told she wasn’t going to be good soccer because she wasn’t good on her feet. She told me that this coach told her she wasn’t good at soccer so she would never be good at it. My friend proved him wrong. Now she plays for a great soccer team and she played for her school team. I do understand this quote because kids are told this a lot. I will remember never listen to someone who tells me that I can’t do something. I know that if I try anything is possible.
This quote means to me as if everybody has that one person in the world that they are responsible for. If you have a younger sibling you have to look out for them but they can’t do anything in return so That’s treating someone else without be treated back. In that case you’re helping Others in need of help like those younger sibling…Also sometimes probably while driving you would Probably see people with signs saying (in need of some help I’m homeless, poor, ETC). Most people Probably end up helping them out like giving them some money something to help them out a little bit Or giving them something to eat or taking them to a shelter knowing that they can’t help you or give. Back and that is my example of doing something for someone else but they can’t do anything for You.
As a teacher, this quote is important for me to remember each and every day. We tend to get stuck in a mode where we are worried about everyone doing well on “the test” instead of what children actually know. Sometimes a student doesn’t do well on a test, or doesn’t write an amazing essay…but that doesn’t mean that they don’t understand the material. Although it is not feasible to give students an unlimited number of options as to how they want to demonstrate their understanding of knowledge, teachers must remember to give student various ways of showing they understand.
ReplyDeleteOne year, when teaching the novel Holes, I asked the students to draw a map or an illustration of Camp Green Lake instead of writing a paragraph about the exposition of the novel. Some students who had difficulty in the past with writing turned in the most amazing maps of the setting of the novel. I was so impressed, and it reinforced this idea that students need various ways of demonstrating their understanding to teachers.
This semester, in a writing course, it will be impossible not to grade students based on their writing. The nice thing about this course is that there will be so many opportunities and various types of writing that all students will find some type of writing in which they excel. These reflections are key in allowing students to “stretch their legs” and look at writing in a whole new way. To write and not be graded. To write and not have to worry about having perfect grammar. To write and try new things without fearing a penalty. This should give students the change to feel a little more freedom, try something new, and allow their writing to advance and grow. My hope is that students who typically think of writing as a “chore” or something in which they do not excel, will have a new appreciation for writing and their writing ability by the time we finish this course.
I completely agree with this quote. Many people are great at certain things, but lack experience or skills in another area. I, for example, like to think of myself as relatively good at school. I’m in honors classes, I’m an honor roll student, and I’m pretty social. But when it comes to sports, I really can’t do much. When I was in the third grade, I started playing soccer. Soccer is the sport that almost everyone played when they were younger, at least for a little while. It’s supposed to be easy and fun. My first year starts, and I join the team with all my friends. Bad idea… That team is the “good team”. I however, am not very good. I start to realize that. It becomes clear in my 8 year old mind that I am absolutely TERRIBLE at sports. But I keep playing to try and get better. But instead of better, I just get fat. But I keep going, knowing that I’m not skilled. I play until 5th grade, and then quit. And I loathed soccer. But then I found that just because I’m not good at one thing, doesn’t mean that I can’t be good at another. So I understand this quote.
ReplyDeleteYou are very inspirational
DeleteGood job Joey, yours in my favorite :)
DeleteThat was inspirational.
DeleteMany will understand this quote, but some will feel like the fish described, they might not feel like a genius because of bullies, grades, or even depression. But some will be surprised to learn that Albert Einstein was claimed a moron by his teachers, he then excelled in school. Albert Then did many great things in his life, like the square route of pi. Many people may feel like Einstein did when he was young, many will be bullied and hated, but everybody, is a genius.
ReplyDeleteThomas J.
Good Thinking, you have a point.
DeleteThat's an interesting way to look at it.
Delete“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.” I feel that this quote, written by Albert Einstein, was made to set a positive effect on people. What I think he means by this is that all people are smart. But, if you judge someone, or something, on something you may or may not think they can do, they may go on never believing they can achieve success on that. To me, this quote is all about believing. If you truly believe in something you want to do or try, go for it and see where it takes you. Just because you may fail once, doesn’t mean it will always be that way. Everybody fails once in their life. No matter how intelligent they are, not everyone can succeed unless they keep trying. So, Albert Einstein is saying, to me, that even if you try and don’t succeed, if you keep trying to reach your goal it could bring you great things.
ReplyDeleteI like this! It makes a lot of sense, nice point!
DeleteCarly, this is so good! :)
DeleteYou're a great writer!
DeleteGood job this is good! :P
DeleteThis is well wirten.
Delete“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” I really enjoy this quote. I saw this quote the other day and I believe that it could not be any truer. The quote is saying that everybody truly is a genius, but if you judge them by what they cannot do, it will make them believe that they are stupid.
ReplyDeleteThis quote reminds me of myself and others I know at school. Teachers will test us and we have to take classes that we know we are no good at. So, because of this it makes kids believe that they are stupid. I am significantly better at English that I am at math. Although, we have way more tests in math class. You are tested on things you know you are not good at.
Let’s say there is a kid who is a fantastic student and extremely smart but is terribly weak and athletic. This kid has a test in his gym class on strength. If we test this kid on his strength he will go along believing that he is stupid and not able to do things. When actually he is extremely smart and great at school. You would be testing the child on something that he cannot do and then it ends up making the child think that he is stupid.
This quote is saying that everybody is a genius but if you judge them by what they cannot do, it will make them believe that they are stupid. I see this as a one hundred percent true fact and I have seen it happen in every aspect of life. Why judge people by what they cannot do, when we can see what they are good at and can do?
Colleen Craven
Very smart thinking, Colleen :)
DeleteHaha that sounds lke me
DeleteThis is really good I had the same thought too! You just wrote sooo much haha. Also, this is a good moral in life, and a good lesson.
DeleteI get what you are saying
DeleteI really like yours Colleen:)
Deletethis is fantastic
DeleteI agree with this quote. All people have their talents. However, many of them are not able to show them because of the situation they are in. For example you can’t ask a human to fly but you can ask someone to run. Also, many kids in school relate to this. They may good at music or art but not at math and English. Therefore, people have a bad impression of their intellectual level. I myself can relate to it. I am more of an academic person so I hated the day in elementary school when we went to art. I knew I wasn’t good at it and that discouraged me. However, I finally realized that I’m just not good at art and that doesn’t mean I’m not intelligent.
ReplyDeleteI also thought that it was weird that Albert Einstein had wrote this quote. He seems like a guy who wouldn’t think about things like moral and worry more about science. It is a wired quote and almost seems a little funny. However, when you think about it has a deep meaning. Not only is it just a thought it is also a motivation to let adults and kids alike that they aren’t stupid.
I agree
Deletethis is inspirational for fish everywhere
DeleteI agree to everything said in this comment.
DeleteYou made me look at hte fish in a different way Thanks
DeleteThis quote means to me, that you will be let down in life, but there is still something good out there for you.
ReplyDeleteIt reminds me of when my sister Sarah applied to Poolesville High School. She could have gotten accepted, but she wasn’t in algebra at the time so they sent her a letter saying that she couldn’t go there. She was really upset because she always got straight A’s, she just wasn’t in algebra. So I think that is kind of what this quote means. Many times in life people are rejected or put down because they are judged by just one little quality they aren’t best at. My sister ended up going to U Penn, and is now happily married. She might not have gone to the school she wanted to, but she is definitely happy with her life.
I think this is a quote that everyone should think about if they are in a sticky situation, and should live by.
What???? To me this quote means nothing! In no way do I understand this! NO fish can climb a tree, I’m sure in some way this quote would be considered deep and relatable, but as an 8th grader this quote means nothing.
ReplyDeleteObviously Albert Einstein was a genius, but at the moment that he said something as deep as this, he might had thought back and said wait, lots of people might not have understood that. I am one of those people! If fish can’t climb trees, than how can you judge it on how well it can climb a tree? Plus a fish can’t think it’s stupid, because it already is. I mean, fish see a fishing hook and their like, OOOOh that’s shiny! I think I should try to eat it! To me this has no point!!!
:)ha ha
DeleteHaha this is funny and so true to think of it that way.
DeleteHaha Ian this was very amusing.
Deleteso i'm not the only one that thought this way
DeleteYou Really don't get this? The fish Actually is a genius, Everything is a genius in some way, like you could be amazing at math but bad at science, That doesn't make you stupid, Some people might judge you because of your skills and call you stupid, but the fact is you're not. I hope you rethink your answer.
DeleteI like this response a lot.
DeleteThomas- True! A fish is a genious at swimming :P
DeleteThe quote “everybody is a genius…” is a true quote, BUT of you never tell someone what they cannot do and are not strict about it then you “the fish” will never try harder to “climb the tree”. You can do TWO things at this point you can feel bad for yourself and live your whole life believing you are stupid OR you can take the comments and turn them into a reason to try harder keep trying.
ReplyDelete“This is my logic you do not have to agree”
All you should do is think about what I am saying.
That is great! I totally agree. I think that we should not feel stupid but we should still know what we are bad at.
DeleteGood point
DeleteI have a point
DeleteThis is the most unusual quote I’ve ever heard of in my life. I though Albert Einstein was smart but I did not expect this from him. I think this quote means not to judge people by their ability to do one thing and label them as dumb or stupid but to find what they are exceptional at. Almost like the saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” So, what if someone lacks social skills but is super smart at math? Would you label them as dumb because he/she doesn’t know how to react? OR would you label him/her as smart because he/she gets all the answers right?
ReplyDeleteIm amazing
DeleteAs a student, this quote is a good way to look at life of everybody is a genius in their own way of life. However, if u judge anyone or anything by what they aren’t really a genius at, they will be bullied and think they are stupid at what they are a genius at. For example, if someone is really good at soccer and then they are forced to play baseball and they are terrible at; then they would think they are so stupid to not know how to play baseball. On the other hand they need to realize the good in life, like such as they are really good at soccer and stick with that sport instead of baseball. Albert Einstein says this quote and speaks a good moral for life that to don’t live in want and realize what important and special things u already have in life!
ReplyDeleteNice thinking!!
DeleteI love this quote, it is always interesting to see other people’s view on certain things. At first I was surprised to see that Albert Einstein created this quote because he was one of the greatest geniuses of all time. Then I realized that he was probably judged on his appearances instead of being judged intellectually. People automatically judge each other, sometimes whether we mean to or not. We have such a narrow mind sets sometimes, we do not appreciate how different we are from one another. And without appearances and thoughts that differentiate from one another, we would not have some of the amazing things and people that we have today.
ReplyDeleteIt is so easy to write someone off as being weird or different in a horrible way. No one is perfect, so why judge all the imperfections? We gain nothing by doing this this yet we still do this. We are just so used to seeing others in a certain way, it is hard to ever change ourselves. Bad habits are hard to break, but we are never going to get better if we don’t try.
People DO have narrow mindsets. I agree
DeleteAfter two years of going through middle school I’ve experienced many things. When I read this quote I can relate to what is going on. A couple of times I have seen this happen to many people. Some people can pick stuff up very easily, yet others have a more difficult time. Playing an instrument, learning a new language, and even certain subjects in school can affect the way you learn new skills. Even if they affect the way you learn, they can be great skills to have. If you ever get judged by someone just because you cannot do it on your first try, it does not mean that you are bad at it, it just means that you need to practice more and more. If you put yourself down, then you should just keep trying at it. It may be the way you learn or the way you take in a new skill that will make you struggle, but you still are smart. Even though it may seem like you are bad at something, you still can be good at it. Everybody is a genius.
ReplyDeleteThis is very true.
DeleteI agree with your thoughts on the qoute.
DeleteTrue
Deletethis was beatiful kevin
Deletei agree with the statement about peoples gifts in subjects but i dont think it relly stops people from learning :/
DeleteEverybody is a Genius
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the quote, “everybody is a genius” I realized that this quote does relate to me in my lifestyle. Personally because there is a bunch of stuff that I’m able to do or know about and people will constantly doubt me. For example, sometimes in classes I won’t always be the best or the smartest or definitely not the quickest and mostly people will just judge me on it. I personally don’t like that because I know a lot more about me then they do obviously because I live my life the way I do. This quote just makes me realize about myself that there’s always going to be people out there in this weird and unfair, or uneven world that will make you want to feel down about yourself. They hate, doubt, discriminate, and judge you maybe because of one thing you do. As in this book, people judge a fish on the way it can climb a tree. Fishes aren’t meant to climb trees. They’re meant to swim. Swimming is what fishes do best. The same goes for a scenario in which I could be described in. Say someone were to judge me on the way I learn or do stuff in English class… they would think that I’m not that smart because English is probably one of my worst subjects. I don’t always do well in English, and most of the times I do honestly try to succeed, I’m just not that good at writing or reading. People would judge me in English class but may never see how good I good I do in say math or science class. I also could have many more examples for this such as out of school activities. In my free time I love to skateboard and it’s the one and only thing I will do non-stop for a million years if I had to because I love it so much. Therefor I’m outside skateboarding a lot and sometimes people will see me. They might judge me on my personality or the way I skate and they don’t actually see what I like to skate or where I skate. I may actually be able to do more than they think and all they need to do is not judge and learn how to know someone and not judge them.
Jason this is so deep.
DeleteEverybody’s a Genius
ReplyDeleteMy response to this quote is, when would a fish ever have to climb a tree? Where would a fish even find a tree in the first place? Under what circumstance would a fish ever have to climb a tree? Even if they did have to climb for a tree, if they even find one, why would they agree to that? Of course there not going to succeed, there fish. They’re too slippery and wet to climb one, plus it’s too steep and they wouldn’t be able to breathe, causing them to flop around and falling off the tree every time. If I was the fish, I’d say, “Oh look, a tree. Should I climb it? nah.” And if the other fish for some reason picked on me and called me stupid because I didn’t climb it, I’d respond like this, “Can you climb it? Hhhhhmmm? HHHHHHMMMMMMM?” and if they still called me dumb, I’d respond like this, “How does not climbing a tree make me dumb? You can’t climb a tree either, so that makes you dumb too. In fact, no fish can climb that tree, so I guess you’re really calling all fish dumb.” Then I’d swim off in the sunset.
LOL!!!! This is hilarious!
DeleteThat is the best off topic response ever. No a fish can't climb so its totally true
DeleteHa! I completely agree!
DeleteHahahahahaha this is really true! This is totally you! ahahaha. i like it.
Deleteyes and no but that is not the point. you do not call fish dumb because the cant clime trees
DeleteI definitely agree with this comment. Even after I read this quote I still was judging other people by what they couldn't do but this comment showed me that other people are smart even if they can't do what i can do.
DeleteThis is an interesting perspective that I did not think of writeing from. I think Ill learn from this post
DeleteHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahahahhahhaahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahaahhaahahahahaahahhaahahahahahahaahahaahaahahahhahahahhahahhahaahahhahahahhaahhaahahahahahahhaahahahhahaahhahahhahahahahaahahahahahahhahhhaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahhaahhahaahahhaahhaahhahahahahahahahahahhaahhaahhahaahhaahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahaahhahaahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deletei caannnnn not climb a tree. if i was a fish human or even a monkey(trees are my mortal enemy
DeleteSo Funny!
DeleteEverybody Is Genius
ReplyDeleteI do understand this quote, it’s actually very smart. I like this quote, I feel teachers should live by this. I’ve had tons of teachers (especially gym and math teachers) try to tell me to do something that I’m not capable of. I really don’t like it, and that is why schools try to place you in classes that you’re able to do well in, but it’s still not good enough. I don’t know why, I know we all need all aspects of our education, but I feel they should make more classes fit to your abilities. If I’m not good at math, yes, I’ll try, but don’t you dare try to make me solve an equation. I want to make classes fun, I love music, so maybe make educational songs! Math is not my best subject, but I won’t completely put it off. Maybe during the day I’d be more enthusiastic about a subject, if had some more fun classes. I love to sing. If we could have some music culture class, and I could look forward to it, I would never hate any subject. (I feel like I’m ranting, but if I rant, you know I’m passionate about something.) This quote, in a way, makes me sad. Because in some instances, if a person can’t do something everyone else can, it kind of lower’s their drive even more. I think if teachers know their students can’t at all do something, they should either help them, or redirect them. It’s just like asking a cheerleader to play football, I would try that, but that’s crazy. Hahaha. Anyway, that quote is amazing, and I think I’ll make it my motto. Everyone should!
I sgree completely!
DeleteGood job Katie! You're so awesome! Have fun at cheer tomorrow!
DeleteI like this a lot!!! Nice, job (:
DeleteHahaha great job!
DeleteI liked this comment it elaborated. Good job Katie
DeleteEverybody is a genius
ReplyDeleteWhat the heck? I guess I can relate like when everybody else can do something and I can’t. And then you dub it stupid because it can’t climb a tree when the fish is supposed to be swimming. So in a way I understand this daily reflection even though it compares a fish climbing a tree. The way I can relate is that in sixth grade math there was this one problem that took me all the period to do when it took every one else like 3 seconds. In a way I guess the math problem was the tree and I was the fish. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I’m done boop.
I agree with you all the way
Delete
ReplyDeleteWhat is the definition of “stupid”? Typically this word is associated with academics, but I believe there is more to it than that. Although maybe I would be considered smart in that I get good grades, I am “stupid” at, say, football. There is not a single person on this planet who does not have a talent. Maybe it’s athletics. Maybe it’s academics. Maybe it’s something so special that it could make them famous. Everyone has their “thing”, and I think that sometimes kids that aren’t necessarily “gifted” in their schoolwork are convinced that they are “stupid” just because they are told that that is the only worthwhile thing to be good at. We must keep in mind that the real definition of stupid has nothing to do with being unintelligible in any one area- it is just being unintelligible overall. Furthermore, I believe that anyone who thinks they are good at everything is stupid, but anyone who is genuinely trying to do anything well, not just giving a half-hearted attempt, but really putting their heart and soul in to it and trying, is not stupid. Anyone who has the sense to do that is a genius.
Christine J
Yes stupid isn't only in academics
DeleteLet’s say you were a fish. Usually, fish swim, not walk or climb. If you were a fish, and someone told you that you can’t climb a tree, you would just believe them. You would live your whole life believing that. But, what if you actually could? What if you could climb a tree, even though you were a fish? It may seem impossible, but what if it isn’t? You would have to try. And you might even have to try more than once. Just like those posters that teachers have in their classroom that say, “Try. Try Again. And again. And again.” I’ve seen a lot of those posters. Anyways, if you try to climb the tree, and you make it, you’ll prove the person who told you that you can’t climb a tree, that you actually did it. And you would be a genius.
ReplyDeleteI never thought about it this way. I love that you made me look at the quote differently. I love that you believe in the fish! Never lose that!
DeleteI think I understand...
DeleteAs a musician, this quote reminded me of when I was in band class. My teacher asked me to play a scale that I didn’t recognize. After him trying to convince me that I knew that scale, he finally realized that it was a scale for the trumpet, whereas I was playing the clarinet. This quote also reminded me of a time when my soccer coach wanted us to sprint as fast as we could from point “A” to point “B”. I am not the best of sprinters, so I didn’t do very well. I thought that I was just a bad soccer player/runner.
ReplyDeleteHaha this is so true you have the perfect example of this quote!!!!!!!!!!!!
DeleteIn band I could also not play some scales. I thought I was a bad musician too.
DeleteHooray for Justin! (:
DeleteI agree, fair point
DeleteI understand what this means. It means that you don’t judge anyone, all you have to do is worry about yourself not anyone else. It is rude to judge people about what they can and cannot do. When I was in the 4rd grade I did not know how to tie my shoe. Everyone would laugh at me about that. So I kept trying over and over again till I did it. So if the fish kept on trying he would be able to climb that tree.i think it also refers to “don’t judge a book by its cover”. It may not be able to do it but it has a big heart so over time it over and will be able to climb the tree. If was the fish I would keep trying over and over until I get it.
ReplyDeleteYou are very insightful.
Deletei agree gage u are awesome.
DeleteAs a student’s point of view I think that this quote means that if other people
ReplyDeleteDon’t believe in your abilities then you won’t either.
If we don’t believe that a fish
Can climb a tree that fish probably won’t believe it either and that’s when the low
Self Steam takes its part because then the fish thinks he is stupid because he can’t
Climb a tree.
EXAMPLE #1 last year all my friends used to think that I was short because they
We’re really tall from my perspective so after being called short so many times I
Started to believe that I was short so I lost my hopes of being tall.
So the point that I am making is that most people on the world only believe in the in themselves if others believe in them to.
Haha join the club
DeleteGood job :P
DeleteI really agree with this statement because now it all makes sense that everyone has different abilities and just because one person can’t do one thing that someone else can do, doesn’t make the other person stupid, doesn’t mean that that person isn’t good enough, it just means that that person needs to show what they can do. At times I find myself judging other people on their abilities and I really do need to realize that everyone is a genius in their own way. And i think that everyone should take this the way that i do, that everyone is gifted in there own way.
ReplyDeleteI think that it is human nature to judge others, it is a good goal to try to not do that. It is something that I think everyone struggle with.
DeleteI think this quote can be true in everyday life. I don’t care about what other people say about what I can and can’t do. If people tell me that I can’t play a sport then that will make me want to try harder to prove to them that I can do it. In this case the fish is not going try harder because people said that he cannot climb. The fish should believe in his choices like I do and not worry about what his peers think. One time when I was little, someone said that I couldn’t shoot a basketball from the 3-point line. Every day I practiced that shot and got better at it every time I shot it. Finally I proved to that person that I could make the shot. If you strive for everything they do, then you will always succeed.
ReplyDeleteThis is a good way to think to not get discouraged. Good job!
DeleteEven though I do agree with the quote I also agree with this comment. This is kind of saying that we should tell people that they are stupid but still we do also need to be conscious of other peoples feelings.
DeleteI most definitely agree with this quote. In my opinion everybody IS a genius, but we are all geniuses in our own special ways. I remember one time on the bus I was telling my friend about my math class. I was in a higher math than she was and she was starting to feel a little self-conscious. She was calling herself stupid and stuff like that I felt really bad for her so I tried to comfort her. I told her that while I might be smart where math in concerned she was smart in other stuff such as art and baking. This quote is all about how even if you’re not good at one thing does not make you stupid, it just means that you’re smart in another way. This quote makes you see that you are a genius, maybe not the same type of genius as your friend, but still a genius.
ReplyDeleteThis is so true!
DeleteI like the way you think.
DeleteI agree with this (:
DeleteT he same sort of situation has happened to me. I agree with what you wrote.
DeleteI thinks it's funny how people never listen when you tell them they're smart.
DeleteI love your example of your friend. Very nicely said.
DeleteI really agree with this quote. I can relate to it in my own way. Every summer, my family and I go to Deep Creek Lake with our neighbors. My family only goes once a year while our neighbors are there just about every week. We all wake up really early and go out on the boat to waterski and wakeboard. That part of the day is really fun for me since I’m actually pretty good at waterskiing. Although when we go back out on the boat later in the afternoon to go tubing, well, that part I don’t like. My neighbors are all like pros on the tube. They never fall off. Well whenever I take my turn, I fall of as soon as the tube goes over the wake. Even the youngest member of my neighbor’s family who is 7 years old can go faster than me and not fall off. So of course as soon as I get back in the boat after tubing, everyone is making fun of me and telling me that I am weak. Well first of all, I am a soccer player, I don’t actually use my arms that much. Secondly, I only go to the lake once a year, my neighbors go 10 times that amount. So it was unfair to say that. I’m not used to riding the tube and I don’t really know how to get a good grip. So yes, I definitely agree with this quote. If they asked me to go 1 on 1 in soccer, or run a race against them, well then they really wouldn’t be laughing at me anymore.
ReplyDeletei agree that ahs happened to me plenty of times :)
DeleteYou go Anna you go.
DeleteI have above-average grades in school, (Not counting papers that I fail to turn in on time) and I am not very good socially. Yesterday, in math class, a classmate was asking me if I was stupid. Since I, not good socially as I said, did not respond, he automatically assumed I was stupid. In this case, I am a bit like the fish, but I don’t spend the rest of my life believing that I am stupid.
ReplyDelete“I am, relatively, a genius, but if you judge me by my ability to talk to other people, I will seem like a moron.”
I don’t mean to be a narcissist, but I feel that I have to say it… or rather, type it. Anyway, I should stay on topic. I once judged my four-year-old sister's ability to read and do other things, something that most people could only do with at least a Kindergarten education, which she does not have, so even my sister is a bit like the fish. Yay!
I'm so glad that writing gives you another outlet to communicate and express your feelings and emotions. It is so cute that you see a little bit of yourself in your little sister!
DeleteHaha that is so funny. Don't spend the rest of your life thinking you are stupid.
DeleteLoved this spin on Einstein's quote: “I am, relatively, a genius, but if you judge me by my ability to talk to other people, I will seem like a moron.” All the introverts know what you mean!
DeleteEveryone and everything has their own special skills and talents. Some of these talents are known right from the beginning. For example, a light bulb’s talent has always been to shine light. For other things, the talent is not known as easily. The talent is hidden away anxious to pop out and show the world. You can`t expect a talent to change, because it’s very hard to do such a thing. It wouldn’t be quite fair to ask a pro wrestler to make a gourmet omelet, or ask a surgeon to win an Olympic gold medal. A person can try to obtain more talents, but this is very difficult. The world is full of countless talents that are waiting to shine through. If you haven’t found your talent quit yet, don’t worry- your talent will find you.
ReplyDeleteI like this comment because it really alaborates on the quote and lets you understand it more clearly.
DeleteI like yours it is so true
DeleteEverybody is a Genius
ReplyDeleteAs a kid, I understand this quote. When you’re a kid you are told you can’t do many thing, but that is not true. If you tell a kid they aren’t good at something then they will not even try it. If you don’t try something how is there any way of knowing if you are good at it.
When my friend was a little kid she was told she wasn’t going to be good soccer because she wasn’t good on her feet. She told me that this coach told her she wasn’t good at soccer so she would never be good at it. My friend proved him wrong. Now she plays for a great soccer team and she played for her school team.
I do understand this quote because kids are told this a lot. I will remember never listen to someone who tells me that I can’t do something. I know that if I try anything is possible.
Sorry you didn't get yours posted in time for comments. Always believe in yourself!
DeleteThis quote means to me as if everybody has that one person in the world that they are responsible for.
ReplyDeleteIf you have a younger sibling you have to look out for them but they can’t do anything in return so
That’s treating someone else without be treated back. In that case you’re helping Others in need of help like those younger sibling…Also sometimes probably while driving you would Probably see people with signs saying (in need of some help I’m homeless, poor, ETC). Most people
Probably end up helping them out like giving them some money something to help them out a little bit
Or giving them something to eat or taking them to a shelter knowing that they can’t help you or give. Back and that is my example of doing something for someone else but they can’t do anything for
You.