Character Is I believe this statement to be true, but in my opinion, character is also how others view you, or maybe that’s just someone’s opinion on you. For instance, I treat people the way I believe they deserve to be treated. An example of this would most likely be if found someone stuck up rich guy who thought he could do whatever he wants because he’s rich. I would treat him as such. Another example of this would be if I saw a hardworking man doing his best to gain earnings for his family, I would treat that man with the respect he deserves, and honor him for the sacrifice he’s doing for his family. And my last example would be if I found a fish that couldn’t climb a tree, I’d look at that fish for a good minute, watching it flop its way up the tree, inevitable falling off every time, then I’d probably either throw it back int eh ocean, or take it home and eat it.
I think that this is saying if you are kind in general, you can feel better in many ways. Such as self-confidence and your outlook on life. If you treat others with respect and equality, it might come around and when you can’t do something for someone else they will treat you with the same character as you did to them. Those who can do nothing for you are not useless, because you can still help them. Good character should be passed around.
This quote means that you are described by how you help people who really can’t help you back. The reason this describes you character is by taking a look at what you’ve done for others. I’m the person who helps people every now and again by helping at a food bank for people who can’t get food to support their families. The families are unable to return the favor with small amounts of money for the food bank.
Sometimes, it’s good to do favors for people and be nice to them even though you may not like them by their behavior, race, religion, weight, or social class everyone should be a good character of everyone should be treated fairly. For example, people shouldn’t judge people if they are like a homeless person, they should try and help them by giving money for them to have a good meal. Some people work behind the scenes to help provide good character. Also, some people don’t even deserve it but people help anyways. This quote is a good moral for things that go on during life all the time.
Nice inclusion of behavior & weight as biases to be avoided when dealing with others. Those two are often neglected, and I know many friends who have autistic children and they deal with poor treatment all the time.
“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I think this quote means that you should treat everyone the same even when you do not receive anything in return. It’s like helping a homeless person knowing that they will not give you anything in return but giving you the feeling that you did something right. I know if I was homeless, I would treat anyone with respect for going out of their way to help another. EVERY LITTLE THING MATTERS! Like letting someone pass you on the road, but they are not going to wait at the same light to let you pass. Doing little things for others might inspire them enough go out of their way to do something nice too.
This quote is very familiar to me. Ive had an experience with this quote because a couple months ago, I went to DC with my family. We walked around, saw all the sites to see, and so on. When we were on our way home I saw a homeless man on the side of the road with a sign. His sign said this quote, “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I really do love this quote. It means to me even if someone cannot benefit you in a way, you should help them in a way that will benefit them. Then hopefully, they will pass it on. To me when I see this quote all I think of is the homeless man I saw with this sign. You can build character by giving this man a few dollars. If everyone gave him a few dollars, he might be able to get food or medicine to help him. He could then get a job and benefit others doing this. It is like a chain. This man cannot do anything for you now, but he will benefit from you donating money to him, and then he can help do things for others as you did for him. How you treat those who can do nothing for you builds extremely postivie character. This is because even though this man does you no good, and you don’t directly get something out of the situation, the things you do will help him. He may not directly affect you, but it is what makes the world go round.(: Colleen C (:
Character Is… When I first read this quote, I had no idea what it meant, and I still don’t. As I’m thinking, a thought pops up in my head, maybe people with disabilities. If you treat them like every other person, and you’re nice to them, that shows a strong character. If you don’t, well that shows terrible character. It does not only apply to disabled people, though. It could be strangers, enemies, or anyone you’re not acquainted with. Even after all this effort, I still don’t understand it. Like, I know everyone’s name, and I usually treat everyone nice. (Except for the occasional teenage boy) I’m really burning out my brain trying to understand this. Like what would it matter if I slapped some random kid who took my ice cream, he took my ice-cream! It’s not like I’ll ever try to see him again, no one takes my ice cream. Okay now I’m even more confused. Maybe it’s like this- There is a person in your grade that’s extremely shy, he/she is kind of an outsider, your character is determined by the way you treat them if you don’t know them? Is that it? I’m going to stop right now, so I don’t confuse myself even more.
“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.”
Sometimes, it’s nice to do favors for people, even when they can’t give you anything back. I was taught that I should volunteer for things, and not expect anything back. An example of this would be helping the elderly. I live in a condominium, and there’s an elderly lady in the same condominium, and she lives alone. My mom is always telling me I should ask the lady if there’s anything I can help her with. And there are days where I help the lady, whether it’s with groceries, throwing out trash, or even simply holding the door open for her. So sometimes you should help people out, without expecting anything back.
The quote is very insightful. It gives a very insightful and meaningful definition of character. Many people think they have character but they may think that some people are inferior and useless. However, if you treat someone kindly who is in need or who just needs help, you are the one who has character. You help someone knowing that you won’t get something back. In many ways this could be just a gesture, something that we all can do. Even though many people could be helpful, nut many choose not to, often to an irrelevant excuse. So in way all of us can have character and but some of us choose not to. Whoever wrote the quote had a different way of looking at things than other people. I’m sure many people do not k now the true meaning of character and they should really know it. Those who do not what it means are misinterpreted and this could hurt other people’s view of them.
I can relate to this quote because many times throughout my life I have done something without getting any reward. For example, once I helped out at a food bank. After that I did not get any recognition, but I still felt like I did something productive and helpful. On a much lower scale, holding the door open for others is a very small gesture, but it makes the other person feel happy, which should be good enough to make you feel happy on the inside. By doing small gestures like this, it builds character which is great to have. Character can be seen when you do special things for your friends, or even complete strangers.
I agree and disagree with this saying. This is telling you that the person that you really are and the way that you really act is how you treat people who can’t give you anything in return. Some people have great character like those who help out at a charity event or something and that shows you their character yes but still just one action isn’t enough to judge someone’s character by. Say I was walking down the street and someone asked me for spare change and I refused them. Someone else might be watching and just assume that I have bad morals or a bad character. But in reality I could maybe have no money on me, I could be having a bad day like if my relative died then I might be mean to everyone but that doesn’t make me a bad person. But I also do think that this saying is somewhat correct. Maybe I refused the person who asked me for spare change on Monday but then when they asked me every other day of that week and I always gave them some change, does that make me a good person or does that just mean that I was feeling generous for once or that I don’t like having spare change so I gave it away. In my opinion we can really judge other peoples characters even if we know them extremely well because even if I’m your best friend then you still don’t see every single moment of my life. The only person that can judge your character is you, and maybe other people can see you at a charity event every weekend and they can assume you have a good character but they can never know for sure.
Nice reflection, Charlotte. Don't forgot God judging your character, if you are a believer in a deity. And you are probably too young to realize this but giving someone on the street money isn't always the kind thing to do. Substance abuse is quite high in the homeless population, and your spare change might be better spent in donation to a charity that helps the homeless rather than another bottle of alcohol. :)
This quote makes a little more sense than the last BUT at the same time I don’t but do get it because if the way you treat someone is effected by if they do something for you but then again there are some people out there that could care less so in some cases it is your character is how you treat someone when they can’t do anything for you
“NO” …character is how you act in general not to a specific group. No really if this quote is what character is then the world has bad character. THE WORLD. Every man and woman. Not baby’s but most kids. Sooooooooooooooooooooo this is a baaaaaaaaaaad quote.
This quote “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you,” means a lot. It means doing something for someone who can’t do it in return. Many people only care about themselves or only do something if they get something in return. For example many people volunteer to help the elderly, but many people also do it for they can get paid. This quote is saying the way you act, if it’s kind or selfish, reflects on what you do for others. For me I like helping others even if it’s not for something in return, but for others it’s different. For many people that’s the way your parents teach you or that’s the environment you grew up around. For example I help little kids 5 times a week teaching them soccer and the only reason I love doing that is because my sister helps them to and I would like to do the same. Also I play soccer so I enjoy helping kids with something I love.
We live in a world where so many people look out for #1. They are only interested in doing things or helping others if there is something in it for them. We even give awards for character in school every month. True character is when you help others and expect absolutely nothing in return. Not an award, not a thank you, not a pat on the back, not even service learning hours. We “teach” character and make service a “requirement” for graduation. Is there no other way to teach children how to have good character other than making it required for graduation?
Students who exhibit true character are often not recognized because they do not expect to be recognized for their actions. Nor are they upset that they are not recognized because the intrinsic satisfaction of helping others is enough of a reward.
Nicely said. I've always thought character has to be modeled, not taught (actions explained, perhaps). Doing the right thing & leaving a note at the empty house where I knocked down a mailbox accidently became a modeling scenario when I took my children with me to drop off the check for replacement mailbox.
Character is… I agree and disagree with this quote. This is certainly one of the ways to have your character be defined, but there are so many more than one way to define your character. How you define your character is all from perspective. I agree that this is one way to view your character, but there are so many other variables that contribute to your character. Some people might view your character as one thing, and other people may view it as something entirely different. It depends on what you value. If you treat someone who is very poor generously, or give thousands of your dollars to a charity, people who value generosity would consider you as very charitable and kind hearted. Someone who values getting ahead in life may view you as naïve for giving much of your money away. Perspective and values are another thing that people may consider before judging your character.
Character Is “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I guess I understand what this quote means. I think it means, for example, that you can give a homeless person money, but you have to understand they can’t pay you back. Or, if a principal has a student in their office for vandalizing the school building, they can either give them detention, or let them off with a warning, even though they know they don’t deserve it. Building character is not easy. For example, say there is this one girl who gets teased for having braces or something. That makes her compassionate because she knows what it feels like to be treated unkindly. Or, say there is this boy who is picked on because he can’t play a sport. This makes him smarter because even though he can’t play a sport, he focuses all of that energy in his studies. These are just examples, but it all ties in to how you act towards other people. One person may be a mean grump because they were bullied and teased when they were growing up. Another person might grow up to be a kind, generous person because they were encouraged to succeed as an adolescent. Everybody feels really down at one point in their lives, but it can only make your stronger and your armor thicker. The great thing is, there is always someone with good character willing to give the homeless person some money. :)
Character is… Something that describes you. This quote doesn’t make so much sense so I’m just going to write whatever. I guess that this is saying that you always have to be nice but that’s what you do anyways when you know no one will do more for you. But in all honesty I don’t understand this quote. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t relate to me in any way but it could. I also might think that its saying character is the way that people treat others that don’t have time for them and they treat them so well that they would like to be noticed. I’m still not sure.
I think this quote means that if you say someone is mean because they didn't do anything for you, then you are mean for criticizing them, but if you say they were being nice, then you are nice. An example is if you say something like "Maria is so mean because she never does anything for me" people will think you are the mean one for giving negative criticism. If you say something like "Donna is so nice because she knows when people do or don't need help" or something similar, people will think you are nice for saying nice things about others. This quote means that however you treat others is how you act. If you are mean to someone, you are a snob. If not, people will think you are kind.
Most people now a days usually think of themselves before others. Or, help others expecting something in return. I believe this quote is telling us or letting us know that the true meaning of character is when you help someone even if they can't do anything to help you back.
An example of this would be like giving to charities. When people donate or give to charities, they are looking to help someone or something out. Also, instead of expecting something in return, they get the importance of helping someone in need.
Someone can really show who they are by doing anything like that,and that shows the type of person they really are.
People think that having good character just means that they should do something good if someone is watching or if they receive an award for it. But to me, character is more than an award, or a prize, or even a ‘thank you’. Character is doing what’s right even if you gain nothing out of doing it. Although it may seem harsh, I believe that our school system babies the students. They make sure that we get awards for doing things that are important to do in everyday life. If a child is kind to someone, they should not get an award. Sure, maybe some acknowledgement, but not a special certificate and a picture on a big bulletin board in front of the main office. If we as a school system keep doing this, once children graduate they will think that when (or if) they get a job that they will be given special rewards for doing something such as helping a coworker. Letting kids get there feeling hurt once in a while is good, because in life, there are going to be bullies. But when bullies aren’t getting punished just because they act kind in front of teachers and adults, it’s not okay. Focusing on the ‘problem students’ is more important than focusing on the ones who do what they’re supposed to do. Sometimes, kids put on a front of kindness and respect just because they think that they’ll get a reward for having good character.
I guess this quote could be saying that character is your attitude toward others. If someone said “you smell bad” to someone else, then that would cause them to not be nice to you. In my point of view, I think the definition of character means your personality. If I said to someone that they were athletic, then my character would be kind and thoughtful. When this quote says “those who can do nothing for you,” it means that they cannot do or say anything to you that you would like them to do or say.
“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you” I interpreted this quote to mean that character is formed by the way you treat others, without expecting anything from them. If someone you’ve never met before held the door for you, or just acted kindly just at random times, you can tell that this person has a lot of character. A person with character is very nice, shameless, and has morals straight. A good example of someone with character is a student that volunteers without expecting any SSL hours.
I think this is directed at the people in positions of power who think of themselves before the people in the countries that are in desperate need of help. If you want to see true character, look at the volunteers who go to poverty-stricken countires that have recently been hit by natural disasters. There's no way that those children who where given shoes, or that family that was given a place to live, can repay them. But They help them anyway. Character is not being kind to those you like or those who can repay you. Character is being kind to the stranger (or even the enemy) and the ones who can't possibly repay you with anything but their gratitude. That should be enough of a reward.
Many people act kindly only towards others who have the wealthiest family or who are the most popular. These people act greedy and just want the items of these people instead of wanting the friendship of these people. There are some people who won’t be kind to someone because of what others will think of them. It is extremely unfair for a person to be treated based on their possessions or how ‘’cool’’ they are. Someone with a good character would act kindly to everyone, no matter how little they can do for them. Someone should be treated based on their character, not based on what they can do for you. Too many people are being misjudged every day, and this shouldn’t be happening. Someone with a good character would be able to overlook the social scale and wealth of someone, and see the character of the person.
In my opinion, i agree completely with what you said, "There are some people who won't be kind to someone because of what others will think of them." Especially in school.
“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you” I agree with this statement. Say there is someone with a disability they can do nothing for you but you can do something to them. You can help them open their locker or other things and you don’t expect something in return. Or another example someone drops their stuff you help them pick it up they really can’t do something for you, you just did because that is the first I would of. This is what I think of the quote “character Is”
Character Is
ReplyDeleteI believe this statement to be true, but in my opinion, character is also how others view you, or maybe that’s just someone’s opinion on you. For instance, I treat people the way I believe they deserve to be treated. An example of this would most likely be if found someone stuck up rich guy who thought he could do whatever he wants because he’s rich. I would treat him as such. Another example of this would be if I saw a hardworking man doing his best to gain earnings for his family, I would treat that man with the respect he deserves, and honor him for the sacrifice he’s doing for his family. And my last example would be if I found a fish that couldn’t climb a tree, I’d look at that fish for a good minute, watching it flop its way up the tree, inevitable falling off every time, then I’d probably either throw it back int eh ocean, or take it home and eat it.
That last part about the fish is a little disturbing.
DeleteI liked how you brought back the fish! Very funny!
DeleteAppreciate the reference made to last week's reflection. I think you're right.
DeleteI think that this is saying if you are kind in general, you can feel better in many ways. Such as self-confidence and your outlook on life.
ReplyDeleteIf you treat others with respect and equality, it might come around and when you can’t do something for someone else they will treat you with the same character as you did to them.
Those who can do nothing for you are not useless, because you can still help them. Good character should be passed around.
I like your sentence about passing around good character!
DeleteGood ideas :)
DeleteThis quote means that you are described by how you help people who really can’t help you back. The reason this describes you character is by taking a look at what you’ve done for others. I’m the person who helps people every now and again by helping at a food bank for people who can’t get food to support their families. The families are unable to return the favor with small amounts of money for the food bank.
ReplyDeleteoh good for you
DeleteYes i agree.
DeleteSometimes, it’s good to do favors for people and be nice to them even though you may not like them by their behavior, race, religion, weight, or social class everyone should be a good character of everyone should be treated fairly. For example, people shouldn’t judge people if they are like a homeless person, they should try and help them by giving money for them to have a good meal. Some people work behind the scenes to help provide good character. Also, some people don’t even deserve it but people help anyways. This quote is a good moral for things that go on during life all the time.
ReplyDeleteNice inclusion of behavior & weight as biases to be avoided when dealing with others. Those two are often neglected, and I know many friends who have autistic children and they deal with poor treatment all the time.
DeleteFair point
DeleteI was thinking that.
DeleteCharacter is…
ReplyDelete“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I think this quote means that you should treat everyone the same even when you do not receive anything in return. It’s like helping a homeless person knowing that they will not give you anything in return but giving you the feeling that you did something right. I know if I was homeless, I would treat anyone with respect for going out of their way to help another. EVERY LITTLE THING MATTERS! Like letting someone pass you on the road, but they are not going to wait at the same light to let you pass. Doing little things for others might inspire them enough go out of their way to do something nice too.
very interesting...
DeleteThis quote is very familiar to me. Ive had an experience with this quote because a couple months ago, I went to DC with my family. We walked around, saw all the sites to see, and so on. When we were on our way home I saw a homeless man on the side of the road with a sign. His sign said this quote, “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.”
ReplyDeleteI really do love this quote. It means to me even if someone cannot benefit you in a way, you should help them in a way that will benefit them. Then hopefully, they will pass it on. To me when I see this quote all I think of is the homeless man I saw with this sign. You can build character by giving this man a few dollars. If everyone gave him a few dollars, he might be able to get food or medicine to help him. He could then get a job and benefit others doing this. It is like a chain. This man cannot do anything for you now, but he will benefit from you donating money to him, and then he can help do things for others as you did for him.
How you treat those who can do nothing for you builds extremely postivie character. This is because even though this man does you no good, and you don’t directly get something out of the situation, the things you do will help him. He may not directly affect you, but it is what makes the world go round.(:
Colleen C (:
That's a funny coincidence :)
DeleteAwsome! Great way of putting it!
DeleteGood job and view of the quote!
DeleteThis is amazing, Colleen :)
Deletethis is very inspirational, friend
DeleteI like this, nice :)
DeleteCute story :D
DeleteCharacter Is…
ReplyDeleteWhen I first read this quote, I had no idea what it meant, and I still don’t. As I’m thinking, a thought pops up in my head, maybe people with disabilities. If you treat them like every other person, and you’re nice to them, that shows a strong character. If you don’t, well that shows terrible character. It does not only apply to disabled people, though. It could be strangers, enemies, or anyone you’re not acquainted with. Even after all this effort, I still don’t understand it. Like, I know everyone’s name, and I usually treat everyone nice. (Except for the occasional teenage boy) I’m really burning out my brain trying to understand this. Like what would it matter if I slapped some random kid who took my ice cream, he took my ice-cream! It’s not like I’ll ever try to see him again, no one takes my ice cream. Okay now I’m even more confused. Maybe it’s like this- There is a person in your grade that’s extremely shy, he/she is kind of an outsider, your character is determined by the way you treat them if you don’t know them? Is that it? I’m going to stop right now, so I don’t confuse myself even more.
i agreee
Delete“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.”
ReplyDeleteSometimes, it’s nice to do favors for people, even when they can’t give you anything back. I was taught that I should volunteer for things, and not expect anything back. An example of this would be helping the elderly. I live in a condominium, and there’s an elderly lady in the same condominium, and she lives alone. My mom is always telling me I should ask the lady if there’s anything I can help her with. And there are days where I help the lady, whether it’s with groceries, throwing out trash, or even simply holding the door open for her. So sometimes you should help people out, without expecting anything back.
this is soooo true!
DeleteNice thinking.
DeleteThe quote is very insightful. It gives a very insightful and meaningful definition of character. Many people think they have character but they may think that some people are inferior and useless. However, if you treat someone kindly who is in need or who just needs help, you are the one who has character. You help someone knowing that you won’t get something back. In many ways this could be just a gesture, something that we all can do. Even though many people could be helpful, nut many choose not to, often to an irrelevant excuse. So in way all of us can have character and but some of us choose not to.
ReplyDeleteWhoever wrote the quote had a different way of looking at things than other people. I’m sure many people do not k now the true meaning of character and they should really know it. Those who do not what it means are misinterpreted and this could hurt other people’s view of them.
Thats true.
DeleteVery true.
DeleteWell writen Andrew. This intruiged me very much.
DeleteCharacter is
ReplyDeleteI can relate to this quote because many times throughout my life I have done something without getting any reward. For example, once I helped out at a food bank. After that I did not get any recognition, but I still felt like I did something productive and helpful. On a much lower scale, holding the door open for others is a very small gesture, but it makes the other person feel happy, which should be good enough to make you feel happy on the inside. By doing small gestures like this, it builds character which is great to have. Character can be seen when you do special things for your friends, or even complete strangers.
good job kevin
DeleteYessss that is good character.
DeleteYes!!
DeleteI agree and disagree with this saying. This is telling you that the person that you really are and the way that you really act is how you treat people who can’t give you anything in return. Some people have great character like those who help out at a charity event or something and that shows you their character yes but still just one action isn’t enough to judge someone’s character by. Say I was walking down the street and someone asked me for spare change and I refused them. Someone else might be watching and just assume that I have bad morals or a bad character. But in reality I could maybe have no money on me, I could be having a bad day like if my relative died then I might be mean to everyone but that doesn’t make me a bad person.
ReplyDeleteBut I also do think that this saying is somewhat correct. Maybe I refused the person who asked me for spare change on Monday but then when they asked me every other day of that week and I always gave them some change, does that make me a good person or does that just mean that I was feeling generous for once or that I don’t like having spare change so I gave it away. In my opinion we can really judge other peoples characters even if we know them extremely well because even if I’m your best friend then you still don’t see every single moment of my life. The only person that can judge your character is you, and maybe other people can see you at a charity event every weekend and they can assume you have a good character but they can never know for sure.
Nice reflection, Charlotte. Don't forgot God judging your character, if you are a believer in a deity. And you are probably too young to realize this but giving someone on the street money isn't always the kind thing to do. Substance abuse is quite high in the homeless population, and your spare change might be better spent in donation to a charity that helps the homeless rather than another bottle of alcohol. :)
DeleteI liked the examples you used.
DeleteCharacter
ReplyDeleteThis quote makes a little more sense than the last BUT at the same time I don’t but do get it because if the way you treat someone is effected by if they do something for you but then again there are some people out there that could care less so in some cases it is your character is how you treat someone when they can’t do anything for you
“NO” …character is how you act in general not to a specific group. No really if this quote is what character is then the world has bad character. THE WORLD. Every man and woman. Not baby’s but most kids. Sooooooooooooooooooooo this is a baaaaaaaaaaad quote.
ReplyDeleteThis quote “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you,” means a lot. It means doing something for someone who can’t do it in return. Many people only care about themselves or only do something if they get something in return. For example many people volunteer to help the elderly, but many people also do it for they can get paid. This quote is saying the way you act, if it’s kind or selfish, reflects on what you do for others.
ReplyDeleteFor me I like helping others even if it’s not for something in return, but for others it’s different. For many people that’s the way your parents teach you or that’s the environment you grew up around. For example I help little kids 5 times a week teaching them soccer and the only reason I love doing that is because my sister helps them to and I would like to do the same. Also I play soccer so I enjoy helping kids with something I love.
Great job!
DeleteWe live in a world where so many people look out for #1. They are only interested in doing things or helping others if there is something in it for them. We even give awards for character in school every month. True character is when you help others and expect absolutely nothing in return. Not an award, not a thank you, not a pat on the back, not even service learning hours. We “teach” character and make service a “requirement” for graduation. Is there no other way to teach children how to have good character other than making it required for graduation?
ReplyDeleteStudents who exhibit true character are often not recognized because they do not expect to be recognized for their actions. Nor are they upset that they are not recognized because the intrinsic satisfaction of helping others is enough of a reward.
Nicely said. I've always thought character has to be modeled, not taught (actions explained, perhaps). Doing the right thing & leaving a note at the empty house where I knocked down a mailbox accidently became a modeling scenario when I took my children with me to drop off the check for replacement mailbox.
DeleteI enjoyed reading yours, and I agree.
DeleteCharacter is…
ReplyDeleteI agree and disagree with this quote. This is certainly one of the ways to have your character be defined, but there are so many more than one way to define your character. How you define your character is all from perspective. I agree that this is one way to view your character, but there are so many other variables that contribute to your character. Some people might view your character as one thing, and other people may view it as something entirely different. It depends on what you value. If you treat someone who is very poor generously, or give thousands of your dollars to a charity, people who value generosity would consider you as very charitable and kind hearted. Someone who values getting ahead in life may view you as naïve for giving much of your money away. Perspective and values are another thing that people may consider before judging your character.
Good job! I never thought of it like that.
DeleteCharacter Is
ReplyDelete“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.”
I guess I understand what this quote means. I think it means, for example, that you can give a homeless person money, but you have to understand they can’t pay you back. Or, if a principal has a student in their office for vandalizing the school building, they can either give them detention, or let them off with a warning, even though they know they don’t deserve it.
Building character is not easy. For example, say there is this one girl who gets teased for having braces or something. That makes her compassionate because she knows what it feels like to be treated unkindly. Or, say there is this boy who is picked on because he can’t play a sport. This makes him smarter because even though he can’t play a sport, he focuses all of that energy in his studies. These are just examples, but it all ties in to how you act towards other people. One person may be a mean grump because they were bullied and teased when they were growing up. Another person might grow up to be a kind, generous person because they were encouraged to succeed as an adolescent. Everybody feels really down at one point in their lives, but it can only make your stronger and your armor thicker.
The great thing is, there is always someone with good character willing to give the homeless person some money. :)
Character is…
ReplyDeleteSomething that describes you. This quote doesn’t make so much sense so I’m just going to write whatever. I guess that this is saying that you always have to be nice but that’s what you do anyways when you know no one will do more for you. But in all honesty I don’t understand this quote. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t relate to me in any way but it could. I also might think that its saying character is the way that people treat others that don’t have time for them and they treat them so well that they would like to be noticed. I’m still not sure.
Jason, your candor about not getting this quote is refreshing.
DeleteRefreshing. ;)
DeleteI think this quote means that if you say someone is mean because they didn't do anything for you, then you are mean for criticizing them, but if you say they were being nice, then you are nice. An example is if you say something like "Maria is so mean because she never does anything for me" people will think you are the mean one for giving negative criticism. If you say something like "Donna is so nice because she knows when people do or don't need help" or something similar, people will think you are nice for saying nice things about others. This quote means that however you treat others is how you act. If you are mean to someone, you are a snob. If not, people will think you are kind.
ReplyDeleteMost people now a days usually think of themselves before others. Or, help others expecting something in return. I believe this quote is telling us or letting us know that the true meaning of character is when you help someone even if they can't do anything to help you back.
ReplyDeleteAn example of this would be like giving to charities. When people donate or give to charities, they are looking to help someone or something out. Also, instead of expecting something in return, they get the importance of helping someone in need.
Someone can really show who they are by doing anything like that,and that shows the type of person they really are.
I agree so much Carly. Great job:)
DeleteI love this
DeletePeople think that having good character just means that they should do something good if someone is watching or if they receive an award for it. But to me, character is more than an award, or a prize, or even a ‘thank you’. Character is doing what’s right even if you gain nothing out of doing it.
ReplyDeleteAlthough it may seem harsh, I believe that our school system babies the students. They make sure that we get awards for doing things that are important to do in everyday life. If a child is kind to someone, they should not get an award. Sure, maybe some acknowledgement, but not a special certificate and a picture on a big bulletin board in front of the main office. If we as a school system keep doing this, once children graduate they will think that when (or if) they get a job that they will be given special rewards for doing something such as helping a coworker.
Letting kids get there feeling hurt once in a while is good, because in life, there are going to be bullies. But when bullies aren’t getting punished just because they act kind in front of teachers and adults, it’s not okay. Focusing on the ‘problem students’ is more important than focusing on the ones who do what they’re supposed to do. Sometimes, kids put on a front of kindness and respect just because they think that they’ll get a reward for having good character.
Nice Joey!!! I completely get what you are saying!!!
DeleteYou inspire me Joey
Deletei really like this, it elaborates on the quote.
DeleteYayyy Joeyy(:
DeleteI guess this quote could be saying that character is your attitude toward others. If someone said “you smell bad” to someone else, then that would cause them to not be nice to you. In my point of view, I think the definition of character means your personality. If I said to someone that they were athletic, then my character would be kind and thoughtful. When this quote says “those who can do nothing for you,” it means that they cannot do or say anything to you that you would like them to do or say.
ReplyDelete"you smell bad" Ha! Good example!
Delete“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you”
ReplyDeleteI interpreted this quote to mean that character is formed by the way you treat others, without expecting anything from them. If someone you’ve never met before held the door for you, or just acted kindly just at random times, you can tell that this person has a lot of character. A person with character is very nice, shameless, and has morals straight. A good example of someone with character is a student that volunteers without expecting any SSL hours.
Nice thinking Justin!
Delete(insert compliment here)
Deletethis was FANTASTIC
DeleteI think this is directed at the people in positions of power who think of themselves before the people in the countries that are in desperate need of help. If you want to see true character, look at the volunteers who go to poverty-stricken countires that have recently been hit by natural disasters. There's no way that those children who where given shoes, or that family that was given a place to live, can repay them. But They help them anyway. Character is not being kind to those you like or those who can repay you. Character is being kind to the stranger (or even the enemy) and the ones who can't possibly repay you with anything but their gratitude. That should be enough of a reward.
ReplyDeleteI never even thought of that, but I definitly agree with what you wrote. It is very true.
DeleteI love this Christine!
DeleteI think ur right about people abusing power. Peoplewith authority think they have the right to treat other people poorly
Delete
ReplyDeleteMany people act kindly only towards others who have the wealthiest family or who are the most popular. These people act greedy and just want the items of these people instead of wanting the friendship of these people. There are some people who won’t be kind to someone because of what others will think of them. It is extremely unfair for a person to be treated based on their possessions or how ‘’cool’’ they are. Someone with a good character would act kindly to everyone, no matter how little they can do for them. Someone should be treated based on their character, not based on what they can do for you. Too many people are being misjudged every day, and this shouldn’t be happening. Someone with a good character would be able to overlook the social scale and wealth of someone, and see the character of the person.
In my opinion, i agree completely with what you said, "There are some people who won't be kind to someone because of what others will think of them."
DeleteEspecially in school.
“Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you” I agree with this statement. Say there is someone with a disability they can do nothing for you but you can do something to them. You can help them open their locker or other things and you don’t expect something in return. Or another example someone drops their stuff you help them pick it up they really can’t do something for you, you just did because that is the first I would of. This is what I think of the quote “character Is”
ReplyDelete