“You can do anything but not everything.” This quote makes no sense to me at all. It sort of makes it into my mind but not in a way that I could say I have a complete understanding of the quote. I’m pretty sure that what it is trying to say is that, there is a bunch of possibilities. You may achieve all of those possibilities if you have reached some type of requirement to achieve that possibility. I know that was probably really confusing but if you think about it it’s almost like saying something like this; ok so you want to go to a football game with your friend. It’s possible for you to go to this football game, but you have to come to some requirements. Let’s say that your mom said that if you wanted to go to the football game with your friend that you had to maybe do some chores and show that you can be able to go. That’s is what I think at least but there is other ways that this quote could be describing itself. I think that another thought would be that, you can do anything in your own possibilities or even just your own imagination. So the other end of the quote ties in, saying that you can’t actually do anything, but you can do anything that you know in your mind that you can do. Basically it’s saying that you can do just about anything besides the obvious of something like saying, “I can go up to space with no air.” That physically is not possible. That is my understanding of the quote.
I see the same idea that if you put your mind to something then you can do it. And I agree with that and support the idea. I also like the example you gave.
Alright, I know what you’re going to say, but I have less of a handle on this one than the other quotes we’ve reflected on. I guess mostly my understanding (or lack thereof in this case) comes from the fact that unlike a lot of kids, I haven’t been told that I can do anything- I’ve been told what I can’t do. When I was little I wanted to work in a restaurant because I love to cook, but when I exposed my dreams to anyone they’d tell me I couldn’t because of my food allergies. I guess that probably wouldn’t have worked out anyway because of my fear of ovens (bad things happen when I use the oven), but it’s still hard to hear that you can’t do what you want. Maybe this just proves this quote- wait, I think I get it now. In my opinion I think this means that there are certain things each person is and is not meant to do. None of us can do everything, but if we figure out something we are physically capable of doing, we can do it. After physical capabilities the only thing stopping us from achieving our dreams is pretty much just laziness and lack of drive. If you put your mind to it you can do anything, but you have to accept that there are things you can’t do. At first glance this quote seems to contradict itself though.
Wow, very good responce! I loved when you said " I’ve been told what I can’t do." It really shows how you feel about this quote. Also, When you gave the example of what someone told you could not do, it was great. You said, "When I was little I wanted to work in a restaurant because I love to cook, but when I exposed my dreams to anyone they’d tell me I couldn’t because of my food allergies." It showed that you have had experiences with this quote also. Again GREAT JOB!
This is a great comment.I under stand your comment because like to follow instructions but I also can not understand because I have all was been told I can do anything.
I love what you wrote! I like the way you added in something that relates to you so you can understand this quote better. As well as you, I too have a 'fear' for ovens and i always have! So I can agree to you with what you wrote.
I don’t necessarily understand this quote. I think that maybe it is saying that you can do anything you want or at least you can try to do those things but you won’t always succeed in what you do. Some famous person once said that “Everything is impossible, until someone proves it to be possible.” That might be how the quote goes I’m not sure. That helped me to understand this more, you can try to do anything but you can’t really do all things. I think that this also mean that maybe if you want to do something and you could but you might not actually do that thing because you have a family that needs you or something. If I was a stunt person (the people who sometimes do stunt for actors in movies) and I got the opportunity to do some really big stunt that would give me a lot of money but it was extremely dangerous, if maybe I had some kids then I might not want take that job if it was really dangerous because I wanted to be there for my kids. But if someone else without a family got put into the exact same situation then they would probably take the job. So really I think that this quote can be interpreted in many different ways, although I think that that is true about most things in life. It all depends on the experiences that you’ve had and how you have dealt with that.
I agree that this quote can be interpreted in many different ways. Our class has many different perspectives on this quote. I also thought that it was important that you mentioned that things depend on the experiences for different people. This is a very true statement.
It's actually called a stunt double, but in all honesty, I think the stunt double will actually do the stunt, because how else will get get money? if he thought it as to dangerous, he shouldnt have gotten the job in the first place. Plus im pretty sure that theyd make sure its safe.
This quote hits me close to home, I hate hearing someone say that. I want to do everything, but I don’t have the time, energy, or mental ability to. I catch myself asking my mom this all the time, “Do you think I’d have enough time to…” But I always know the answer. It’s always no. That’s what I think this quote means. “You can do anything, but not everything.” Its implying that you CAN do everything, it’s just not humanly possible, you do not have a long enough life. I have a story on this. So I’m the kind of person that’s always occupied. Whether sports, or school-work. So this year, I tried out for cheer, and afterwards I tried out for softball. (Knowing I wouldn’t make it.) I had already made the cheer squad, and was currently trying out for softball. I had three days of tryouts, butted-up against cheer, and I didn’t know if I’d be able to handle that schedule. I figured it was only for a week, so what’s the worst that could happen? Well, everything happened. I made the softball team, and I was starting, so I was doing a lot of practicing. We got in trouble a lot, we ran close to 36 ball chases this year. That is not something to be proud of. So for five weeks, I had a BUSY schedule. So softball is done now, and I was really ready for a break. But guess what? Well, I found out we were starting the four days a week practice schedule until expo for cheer. I won’t have a break until November 14th. If I had known it was going to be this hard, I wouldn’t have tried out for softball. Anyway, this quote is saying that you can do everything, but you can’t because you don’t have the time.
I understand what you are saying but then again i don't quite understand because you said you can do everything but you can't because you don't have enough time. Then that means that you can't do everything doesn't it?
This quote is short and straight to the point, but also holds a lot truth if you don’t take it too literally. You can do almost anything if you try hard enough and are willing to put forward that effort. All you have to do is put your mind to it. The second part of this quote puts a little restraint on the first part. You can try and try at certain things, but they are impossible to do. Like, jumping off a building and being able to fly with no equipment helping you. Try as you might, but this is physically impossible. The second part of this quote also means that you will not be able to do everything in the entire world. There are things in life that you may not get a chance to do. Sometimes this is because of limited resources, or other times you just may not be interested it that type of experience. For example, you might not be able to travel around the whole entire world because you might not be a millionaire. For this you lack the resources. You might not swim in sharks infested waters because you do not like sharks, or you might not want to get eaten. You might be able to do this, but you would not want to.
I like this quote a lot. It really shows the way people think about things. For example, when someone thinks they are just so amazing, they may say something like “I can do anything!” Well, you see, it’s true that anyone can do anything. But when it comes down to being able to do everything, that’s not so true. Take playing a sport for example, let’s say that you signed up to play basketball. Anyone can play the sport. They may not be the best but they can certainly play it. Now let’s take being able to fly an airplane. That could certainly be very hard to learn to do, but it’s not impossible. Now, there is a difference between being able to fly and airplane, and actually being able to fly on your own which is impossible for a human being to do. But that’s just it. Being able to do one thing that’s super hard to do, doesn’t necessarily mean you can do all other hard things to accomplish.I like this quote a lot. It really shows the way people think about things. For example, when someone thinks they are just so amazing, they may say something like “I can do anything!” Well, you see, it’s true that anyone can do anything. But when it comes down to being able to do everything, that’s not so true. Take playing a sport for example, let’s say that your parents signed you up to play basketball. Anyone can play the sport. They may not be the best but they can certainly play it. Now let’s take being able to fly an airplane. That could certainly be very hard to learn to do, but it’s not impossible. Now, there is a difference between being able to fly and airplane, and actually being able to fly on your own which is impossible for a human being to do. But that’s just it. Being able to do one thing that’s super hard to do, doesn’t necessarily mean you can do all other hard things to accomplish. So, that is mostly what this quote means to me. That achieving success in something difficult does not mean being able to do every difficult thing.
You and I took different, yet similar takes on this quote. I really love your ending sentence "Achieving succsess in something difficult does not mean being able to do everything," because this is very true, although I had not thought of it this way .
This quote took me some time to understand but I finally got it. In fact the meaning is quite simple it means that every human being can achieve anything. However, you can’t do it all. It takes time to achieve things and trying to do it all in one lifetime is almost impossible. However, time is not the only factor. There are other obstacles in the modern world that stop us from achieving goals. One issue is money. In our current world, almost nothing can be achieved without money. Our world cannot work without it and everyone needs it. For example, this year there was a woman that swam from Cuba to Florida in record time. However, the challenge had taken over twenty years and cost a great amount of money. She wanted to achieve something but she couldn’t do it in a short time. So, if you imagine that someone wants to accomplish many tremendous goals, how much money and time it would take. But these obstacles should not prevent you from trying to accomplish many things. This quote might seem discouraging but you shouldn’t think of it in that way. People must know that everything can be conquered but not in one lifetime. Before, seeing this quote I had not thought of goals like this. I didn’t realize that everything can be achieved. If someone has achieved something it doesn’t mean that another human can’t do it. Humans really stretch limits not for one person, but for everyone.
I agree when you said that every human being can acheive anything. If you keep trying on your objectives, then you will succeed. I also mentioned that in my writing.
I really like how you incorperated money into your example. It really makes your example and the quote easier to just understand and connect with it more. I also like how you used time because this stuff does take a long time.
Yeah, it took me some time to understand it too, until I finally sort of understood it. I also have the same point of view- that it takes time to achieve goals.
I agree with what you said. It also took me a while to understand the full meaning of this quote.It must've taken a lot of work to get ready to swim from Cuba to Florida for that woman. One point that you brought up about money being a major issue, is a great example of this quote.
I completley agree with all of the points that you made. However, in the second sentance, it would have been better (in my opinion)to put a colon after the word 'simple'.
This quote simply means anything can be done, but not everything is possible. It means you could do anything you wanted in life, fly a plane, and go in a submarine. But there are some things that you will never do in life. You might never explore space, you might never go to mars. When the time comes, you will die of age or other causes, and will never be able to do some things. You might get to go mars, but you may never reach the deepest parts of space. You might cure a form of leukemia, and never see time travel (if possible). What I’m trying to say is that you can accomplish anything you’ve dreamt of and see the world a new way. But you may never have that chance again. You may have saved someone from a fire, you could discover something beyond imagination, but the chance is going to soon disappear. So enjoy life while you can. In your life, go out there and just explore, you might do what no one believed was possible, you could find a new dinosaur, save millions of lives, or just let it come slowly. You are only going to live once (I hate that saying) so show everyone something only you might be able to do. So get off this computer, step outside, and begin that journey to find what you were meant to do. Live your perfect life and do what you do best.
I loved how you explained this quote. Your deital was great. You said "I’m trying to say is that you can accomplish anything you’ve dreamt of and see the world a new way." Fantastic! Thanks for expressing your imput.
As a student, I agree with this quote, which is “you can do anything but not everything.” I think that this quote explains that even though you can do anything if you strive to do it, but not everything is possible or realistic. For example, as a student, I have to manage everything between; school, sports, family, friends, and free time. I try to do as much as I can, but sometimes I am faced with choosing one thing over the other in resulting in I can do anything, but not everything because I just don’t have enough time sometimes. Another example, is when people are choosing their major. For example, my cousin first wanted to be a ballerina dancer, but she realizes that she wasn’t able to since it was way too hard, needed more experience, and she couldn’t physically do it because she has broken her ankle twice. Lastly, in the world today most people try to challenge themselves to do things that they might not be able to do but persist our way through it. However, people cannot do everything even with the chance of being able to do anything; for example, when as a president you are responsible for a lot of things and are a big role model for others, so you cannot do everything you might want sometimes.
I can relate to your example because my brother was kind of the same he wanted to major as a teacher but then he decided that he would major as a cook. Good job:)
“You can do anything but not everything.” I think I know what this quote means. It means that you can do anything if you put your mind to it, but you can’t go around killing people and robbing banks. You can do anything you want as long as it’s reasonable. For example, you can do anything like get that math problem right that you can never get, or get a touchdown. You can’t do everything like have superpowers and do any illegal things. There is only so much time in your life, so use it to accomplish life goals that you always wanted to do. Anything means anything you want to do, everything is where you can do everything possible which involves illegal things so that is why we can’t do everything. This is what I think of this quote.
What kind of depressing quote is this I mean “you can do anything” this is good makes you feel all good inside like “I can do it” but then you have “But not everything” ok we all know we can’t do everything but it’s still good to try, I you are told you can’t do everything then you may not try. This is not the same as the quote “always shoot for the moon, even if you miss you still land with the stars” a great quote has a “you can” and then a “you still can” unlike our quote you have a “you can” and then a “you can’t”. Do you “catch my drift” yet? : No, well then you must be ok with not trying to do all you can with your life. Yes, than good for you care for trying hard and doing all you can.“Just think about this next time something like this comes up, is it inspirational OR depressing”
Pierce, this quote means that you can do almost anything you want, but somethings you may never have the chance to do. You might never solve an almost impossible equation, or save a group of people from a burning building. That means time will prevent these things, they could pass right by you.
I agree with how you said this quote is depressing. I don't think it's a good idea to tell yourself that you can't do everything because then you will say, "I'm already good at something, why should i try to be good at something else?"
I understand and agree with this quote. What I think that this quote means is that if you set your mind to something you can do it, no matter what. If you are determined enough then you can do anything, but you can’t do it all at once or even do all of it ever. It may take you years to invent something, and you can, but then you would not be able to do as much with your life. For example, if I decided I wanted to build a plane by scratch then I most likely would be able to with some help. On the other hand if I do that then I would not be able to do as much as I could. In that time I could have taken a vacation or I could have trained for a sport. This really uses a lot of determination if you have a big project. You could just go out and have fun, or you could accomplish your goal in the same amount of time. With enough determination and enough time you can pretty much do anything, but it comes at a cost of what you could have done in that time. It is ok to do one project and miss out on other stuff. If you really want to do an extracurricular project in high school preparing for college, then it may be more beneficial to just do the project and not do other activities. If you just played a sport for fun then you may not want to try to play it in all of your free time. You could just do a project that help your grades and get a jumpstart on college. You can do anything you would ever dream of, but you cannot do it all.
I agree with you that if you set your mind to it then you can accomplish it. I expressed the very same idea in my response. I also agree with you on taking up time with one goal and not getting to other goal.
Your example helped me understand this quote better because I never thought of when doing anything could mean creating something and that helped me understand that you can’t do everything.
I completely understand this quote and its meaning. You can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it, focus on it, and “give it your all.” The problem is, you might not get to do it all. It’s as if your lifelong dream is to go to Yale AND Harvard, but you can only go to one college at a time. So, let’s say you love your new job that you got and you don’t want to leave it for a new one. Are you ever going to get to Yale? Trade in the job you love so much for a degree you might not even want. I’ve had firsthand experience with this dilemma myself. When I was 7, my parents asked me if I wanted to go to a new school and get new friends, or stay at the old school and keep everything. I chose to go to the new school because of new opportunities. As you can see, I could not stay at on and go to another. Also my friends and I were playing basketball at the park and my other friend called me and asked me if I wanted to go over to his house and I could only chose one or the other. So, in essence, you can do anything you put your mind to, but you might not get to do it all at once. Most of these decisions are hard to decide what you want to do. As you can see, it is quite simple to understand this quote.
I like your example of changing and going on to something new. When i was younger I had the chance to play on a travel soccer team, but I chose to just stay with my friends and have fun.
“You can do anything, but not everything” Well, I’m not sure that I really understand this quote, but ill go ahead and take a stab at it. Okay, so I’m pretty sure this means, you can do whatever you want, but you can’t do it all. For example, I play several sports. Although my parents say I can do whatever sport I want, but I can’t do everything. I can do anything I want, but I can’t do everything. There’s just not enough time in the world. What if I played soccer and lacrosse at the same time, and then I had a game at the same time? I could not be at both, so I would have to choose. As another example, say you want to get really good grades this quarter and in order to do this, youre going to need to study, A LOT. But at the same time, you want to play on your school soccer team. The soccer team has practice 5 days a week. Well, this is not going to coordinate well with your studying schedule. So, you can get good grades and become a better soccer player, just not at the same time. So, yes you can do anything. Although, you cannot do everything. There is simply not enough time in the world. Anything that you really want can be succeeded, but there is a point where it all becomes to much. In time you will be able to accomplish all of these things, but you have to be very patient.
I really like your thoughts. Your first paragraph is very similar to my whole reflection. I like how you put your first paragraph and actually your whole reflection at that. It's cool how you brought playing 2 different sprots into it.
Wow! You did a very good explanation of this quote. I completely understand what you are saying in every line. I wish that I could have read this before I wrote my response because mine was WAY off. Yours was right on point.
I think this means, you can do anything you set your mind to. But, only if it is reasonable. I know that if I work very hard at school, I can get straight A’s. I also know if I work insanely hard at making the NBA, I probably can’t. I was not made to do certain things. I know that I can do many things if I want, but I cannot do everything. That is what this quote is trying to explain! In many instances, people do not achieve what they wanted, but if they worked harder, they will probably achieve that goal. If I could give one word that this quote is trying to send to the reader, is persistence. Persistence is when you never stop trying, when you never give up. Always work your hardest and don’t ever sell yourself short of what you can do. You can do anything you want to and don’t limit yourself of what you can do! You cannot also do everything, don’t limit yourself, but don’t try to over achieve either. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING BUT NOT EVERYTHING. In conclusion I think that this quote means that you need to follow your dreams and try your hardest to accomplish what you have always wanted to do.
I like your reflection. I especially like your first sentence the most. I like how you put it in the perspective that you really can do anything that you set your mind too.
I really liked the fact that you included humor in your response. When you said that you probably couldn't make it to the NBA I actually laughed out loud.
“You Can Do Anything But Not Everything” The first time I read this quote, I didn’t understand it at all, but after a while of thinking I sort of understood it. What I think this quote means is that there are so many things that you can choose to do and you can choose any of them, you just can’t choose every single one of them. For example, if on Halloween the person who’s giving candy at the door says, “You can take any of these, just don’t take every one of them,” then what they mean is that you can choose any candy you want but you can’t take all of them. You can relate this quote to life, too. There are so many things you can do in life, and you can do anything that you want, but you won’t be able to actually do everything. Maybe I want to go skydiving (uhm no I never will, it’s just an example), climb a mountain, become a manager of something, get a puppy, go to every single amusement park in the world, visit all 50 states, go on a cruise, own a frozen yogurt place, so many more and well, anything else I would want to do. Because we will all die at some point, that’s what keeps us from doing all the things that we want to do. It could be that, or maybe it’s some other obstacle that’s keeping you from whatever it is that you want or need to do.
The quote “You can do anything but not everything” is saying that you have the choice to do things, but you may not be allowed to do something. For example, if someone wanted to get a job. If you are old enough, then you can work for some company. You can do it, but it depends on if the owner lets you work for them. Part of life is about accomplishing objectives. Most everyone wants to be successful in life. If you try really hard on something you really want, then you can do it. You will just have to believe in yourself and do what you can to be able to succeed. Sometimes you may not be able to create or think of something, but that should not stop you. You must always continue on your thinking and never give up. In the world today, some people think that they are invincible and can do anything. People think that they can do whatever they want, but sometimes that does not work out well. They can hurt themselves or hurt other people. People also think that they can do everything. They see themselves as the most important person in the world. Sometimes they try to interfere with other people’s jobs or complications, but usually they end up messing up the persons thinking. It is always good to appreciate yourself and never try to be someone who you are not. You can do anything but not everything.
This quotes means that if you had the chance to do every single thing in the whole world, that it is possible, but that you can’t do everything because there is no time or not enough money for you to do everything. For example if you wanted to travel all around the world when you’re older and you had the amount of money to you could, but then again you might not have enough money to travel or someplace might be dangerous. So you could do anything if you really tried, but there not a lot of money in the world of time to do all of it. Another example is when I’m older I would love to go to places and meet new people and maybe even famous people, but I also need to get a job and have a family of my own. So if I get a good job and have a family I won’t have time to do everything that I want, but I still want to do many things and I’m able to do them if I really tried. These two example show that you can do anything, but not everything. So at least try your best then not trying at all.
I think that you completely understand this quote. You know that the things you want to do may never happen in your life. I'm glad you understood this.
You can do anything “You can do anything but not everything” I understand this quote to a point. I understand that it’s saying that I can do anything, but how can one do anything but not everything? How does doing anything exclude everything? When I was 5, back in my day, my mom told me this quote, but I never understood it. And to this day, I still do not understand this quote. I couldn’t really apply this quote to any real life situations. When has a person done anything but not everything? I thought of an example of this quote which was, telling a person in a wheel chair to run a marathon. I thought about this quote for a while and realized what it meant, you can do most things but not everything is possible. It’s like throwing your son a birthday party, but you don’t have a son. This is the best example I could think of because it shows that you could throw a party for someone, but in this example you don’t have a son to throw a party for. Another thought I had about this quote was that you should do your best but not to overshoot what you can actually do.
I think that the reason you didn't really understand this quote is because maybe you've never experienced it, everyone experiences different things and maybe because of the things that I've seen I understand the quote more than you do.
I agree how you did not understand the quote. It took me a while to actually know what it meant. I also said in my writing that this quote means that you can do anything.
I think that this quote means that you can do anything you want, but you will never be able to do everything. The simplest example that would help further explain this quote would be one that happens frequently to everyone. This weekend I was supposed to be at two places at the same time, although this is not possible. I could go to either of these places, but I could not go to both. This shows how I could have done anything I wanted, but I was not able to do everything. This quote is somewhat familiar to me because of how often my parents have mentioned it to me. My parents do not use the exact words of this quote, but they usually mention something regarding how I have to pick out what I have time for. This quote reminds me a lot about time management, a very important skill to have. It is possible to do anything, but there is not always enough time to do it all. I feel that this quote is a very important quote to remember because it is needed daily throughout your entire life. These words of wisdom are words to life by.
I didn't really think about time management, but when I read your post I did think about prioritising. You can do some things but only when you have the time, you have to decide what is the best way for you to spend your time.
I really like how you tied this quote into time management. I had not thought of this quote being connected to time management. I had not thought of this quote in that sort of way.
You can do anything I believe this quote to be true, and agree with it whole-heartedly. It is indeed true that anyone can do what they put their minds to, especially with our current technology. In the past, people think our current technology was impossible, but here we are, currently using the technology they deemed impossible to type a response to a quote, which I will now continue doing. Of course there still is a handful of things we still cannot do due to our current technology, but we simply can’t accomplish them due to our limited time on alive. Which is where the “everything” part of the quote comes from, or I assume that anyway. I will also assume something that most old people, for lack of better term, seem to wish that they were young again, in order to do all the things they missed out on in our limited life spans. Of course because of our limited lifespans, that should give us all the more reason to chase our dreams in hopes of accomplishing them, and enjoy life to its fullest. For some people, there may be a few “bumps” in the road, but just because it’ll be a hardship, doesn’t mean you should just quit either. Some people also seem to assume because if someone tells them they can’t do something, then they can’t. Of course they can’t do it if they don’t try! As the old saying goes, “try, try again.” That’s what I think of the quote.
If you really wanted, you could do anything, but you can’t do everything. The way that I saw this quote is this, you can have any character trait, but you can’t have all of them. At no point of time can you be nice and mean, or exciting and boring. So you can have any character trait, but not every character trait. Also, you can shop at any store you want, but you can’t shop at all of them but at the same time. This quote takes a lot of thinking and erasing and rewriting, it is very hard to explain in words but this is the only way that I could think of. I could think of any way to describe this quote, but I cannot think of every way to describe it.
I like how you used the same example but in different ways, you wrote that you can have any character trait but not all of them and that you can think of any way to describe this quote but you can't think of every way
I liked how you took this quote very litteral. For example, when you said At no point of time can you be nice and mean, or exciting and boring. So you can have any character trait, but not every character trait.
You can do anything but not everything… You can do anything but not everything. What I think that this quote means is that you can accomplish anything that you want but if you wish to accomplish everything then that is just impossible. In my eyes you only have enough time on this earth to accomplish what you want to accomplish and what you need to accomplish to make you successful for example all kids need to go to school (elementary , middle, high school) but not everybody needs to go to college it would be nice for everybody to go to college but not everyone on the face of this earth needs to go to college it’s not something that is required and it is definitely not required for you to accomplish every single thing in this world another example let’s take the movie Wreck It Ralph, Ralph was a bad guy who destroyed things but he wanted to be a good guy that helped people ( to use your powers for the good) but he couldn’t accomplish and master every game in the arcade because that would be hard so he ended up accomplishing what he could so what this quote means to me is that you can accomplish what you want to accomplish but don’t try to accomplish every single thing in the book I mean even I tried that I used to do ballet gymnastics and soccer and I even tried basketball but it didn’t work out it was to much for me to accomplish so I had to give some of it up.
You can do anything but not everything I agree with this quote because it is true that you can do anything that you want to do but it is nearly impossible to do everything that is available to you. An example of this is when people sign up for a lot of activities and sports and end up really busy and try to get everything done, and then they get stressed out. An example of this in my life was when I was in the magnet program at Clearspring Elementary School and it was really hard to keep up with all the homework and projects and there was times when I would stay up all night long finishing everything that I had to do. This was the reason that I did not apply for the magnet middle school, I knew that I could do anything, I knew I could make it into the school but I also knew that applying and going to the school would make it really hard to balance school, sports and all of the other things that come up in life and still have time to relax and enjoy life. This is what I remember before I sign up for something and most other people should think of this quote before doing anything in their lives.
You Can Do Anything This quote, although somewhat confusing, makes some sort of sense. Now, I can guarantee you that this quote makes complete sense to somebody, somewhere, but I’m not that somebody. So I’ll try and make this easy for both of us. Honestly, I have no idea where I’m going with this. Okay. Deep breath. Remember that one time in elementary school when you did something completely wrong, but some really nice teacher decided that they would cut you some slack and tell you “Yada yada yada you can do anything if you just put your mind to it yada yada yada…”? And in your sassy little elementary school mind, you decided to look them straight in the eye and ask, “So I really can fly?” No? Just me? Okay, anyways I asked you asked this because you knew that you can’t just fly away. What I’m trying to say is that you knew that in reality, there are many things that you can’t do. So, you decided to try and be smart and prove your teacher wrong (although they knew that they were wrong before your sassy self came along). In my mind, this quote means that although you may be able to do anything, you believe that you can’t, and that keeps you from doing it.
“You can do anything but not everything.” This quote makes no sense to me at all. It sort of makes it into my mind but not in a way that I could say I have a complete understanding of the quote. I’m pretty sure that what it is trying to say is that, there is a bunch of possibilities. You may achieve all of those possibilities if you have reached some type of requirement to achieve that possibility. I know that was probably really confusing but if you think about it it’s almost like saying something like this; ok so you want to go to a football game with your friend. It’s possible for you to go to this football game, but you have to come to some requirements. Let’s say that your mom said that if you wanted to go to the football game with your friend that you had to maybe do some chores and show that you can be able to go. That’s is what I think at least but there is other ways that this quote could be describing itself. I think that another thought would be that, you can do anything in your own possibilities or even just your own imagination. So the other end of the quote ties in, saying that you can’t actually do anything, but you can do anything that you know in your mind that you can do. Basically it’s saying that you can do just about anything besides the obvious of something like saying, “I can go up to space with no air.” That physically is not possible. That is my understanding of the quote.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, in order to do anything there has to be requirments to accomplish them.
DeleteI see the same idea that if you put your mind to something then you can do it. And I agree with that and support the idea. I also like the example you gave.
DeleteAlright, I know what you’re going to say, but I have less of a handle on this one than the other quotes we’ve reflected on. I guess mostly my understanding (or lack thereof in this case) comes from the fact that unlike a lot of kids, I haven’t been told that I can do anything- I’ve been told what I can’t do. When I was little I wanted to work in a restaurant because I love to cook, but when I exposed my dreams to anyone they’d tell me I couldn’t because of my food allergies. I guess that probably wouldn’t have worked out anyway because of my fear of ovens (bad things happen when I use the oven), but it’s still hard to hear that you can’t do what you want. Maybe this just proves this quote- wait, I think I get it now. In my opinion I think this means that there are certain things each person is and is not meant to do. None of us can do everything, but if we figure out something we are physically capable of doing, we can do it. After physical capabilities the only thing stopping us from achieving our dreams is pretty much just laziness and lack of drive. If you put your mind to it you can do anything, but you have to accept that there are things you can’t do. At first glance this quote seems to contradict itself though.
ReplyDeleteWow, very good responce! I loved when you said " I’ve been told what I can’t do." It really shows how you feel about this quote. Also, When you gave the example of what someone told you could not do, it was great. You said, "When I was little I wanted to work in a restaurant because I love to cook, but when I exposed my dreams to anyone they’d tell me I couldn’t because of my food allergies." It showed that you have had experiences with this quote also. Again GREAT JOB!
DeleteThis is a great comment.I under stand your comment because like to follow instructions but I also can not understand because I have all was been told I can do anything.
DeleteI love what you wrote! I like the way you added in something that relates to you so you can understand this quote better. As well as you, I too have a 'fear' for ovens and i always have! So I can agree to you with what you wrote.
DeleteI don’t necessarily understand this quote. I think that maybe it is saying that you can do anything you want or at least you can try to do those things but you won’t always succeed in what you do. Some famous person once said that “Everything is impossible, until someone proves it to be possible.” That might be how the quote goes I’m not sure. That helped me to understand this more, you can try to do anything but you can’t really do all things. I think that this also mean that maybe if you want to do something and you could but you might not actually do that thing because you have a family that needs you or something. If I was a stunt person (the people who sometimes do stunt for actors in movies) and I got the opportunity to do some really big stunt that would give me a lot of money but it was extremely dangerous, if maybe I had some kids then I might not want take that job if it was really dangerous because I wanted to be there for my kids. But if someone else without a family got put into the exact same situation then they would probably take the job. So really I think that this quote can be interpreted in many different ways, although I think that that is true about most things in life. It all depends on the experiences that you’ve had and how you have dealt with that.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this quote can be interpreted in many different ways. Our class has many different perspectives on this quote. I also thought that it was important that you mentioned that things depend on the experiences for different people. This is a very true statement.
DeleteIt's actually called a stunt double, but in all honesty, I think the stunt double will actually do the stunt, because how else will get get money? if he thought it as to dangerous, he shouldnt have gotten the job in the first place. Plus im pretty sure that theyd make sure its safe.
DeleteThis quote hits me close to home, I hate hearing someone say that. I want to do everything, but I don’t have the time, energy, or mental ability to. I catch myself asking my mom this all the time, “Do you think I’d have enough time to…” But I always know the answer. It’s always no. That’s what I think this quote means. “You can do anything, but not everything.” Its implying that you CAN do everything, it’s just not humanly possible, you do not have a long enough life. I have a story on this.
ReplyDeleteSo I’m the kind of person that’s always occupied. Whether sports, or school-work. So this year, I tried out for cheer, and afterwards I tried out for softball. (Knowing I wouldn’t make it.) I had already made the cheer squad, and was currently trying out for softball. I had three days of tryouts, butted-up against cheer, and I didn’t know if I’d be able to handle that schedule. I figured it was only for a week, so what’s the worst that could happen? Well, everything happened. I made the softball team, and I was starting, so I was doing a lot of practicing. We got in trouble a lot, we ran close to 36 ball chases this year. That is not something to be proud of. So for five weeks, I had a BUSY schedule. So softball is done now, and I was really ready for a break. But guess what? Well, I found out we were starting the four days a week practice schedule until expo for cheer. I won’t have a break until November 14th. If I had known it was going to be this hard, I wouldn’t have tried out for softball.
Anyway, this quote is saying that you can do everything, but you can’t because you don’t have the time.
I understand what you are saying but then again i don't quite understand because you said you can do everything but you can't because you don't have enough time. Then that means that you can't do everything doesn't it?
DeleteThis quote is short and straight to the point, but also holds a lot truth if you don’t take it too literally. You can do almost anything if you try hard enough and are willing to put forward that effort. All you have to do is put your mind to it. The second part of this quote puts a little restraint on the first part. You can try and try at certain things, but they are impossible to do. Like, jumping off a building and being able to fly with no equipment helping you. Try as you might, but this is physically impossible. The second part of this quote also means that you will not be able to do everything in the entire world. There are things in life that you may not get a chance to do. Sometimes this is because of limited resources, or other times you just may not be interested it that type of experience. For example, you might not be able to travel around the whole entire world because you might not be a millionaire. For this you lack the resources. You might not swim in sharks infested waters because you do not like sharks, or you might not want to get eaten. You might be able to do this, but you would not want to.
ReplyDeleteI like this quote a lot. It really shows the way people think about things. For example, when someone thinks they are just so amazing, they may say something like “I can do anything!” Well, you see, it’s true that anyone can do anything. But when it comes down to being able to do everything, that’s not so true.
ReplyDeleteTake playing a sport for example, let’s say that you signed up to play basketball. Anyone can play the sport. They may not be the best but they can certainly play it. Now let’s take being able to fly an airplane. That could certainly be very hard to learn to do, but it’s not impossible. Now, there is a difference between being able to fly and airplane, and actually being able to fly on your own which is impossible for a human being to do. But that’s just it. Being able to do one thing that’s super hard to do, doesn’t necessarily mean you can do all other hard things to accomplish.I like this quote a lot. It really shows the way people think about things. For example, when someone thinks they are just so amazing, they may say something like “I can do anything!” Well, you see, it’s true that anyone can do anything. But when it comes down to being able to do everything, that’s not so true.
Take playing a sport for example, let’s say that your parents signed you up to play basketball. Anyone can play the sport. They may not be the best but they can certainly play it. Now let’s take being able to fly an airplane. That could certainly be very hard to learn to do, but it’s not impossible. Now, there is a difference between being able to fly and airplane, and actually being able to fly on your own which is impossible for a human being to do. But that’s just it. Being able to do one thing that’s super hard to do, doesn’t necessarily mean you can do all other hard things to accomplish. So, that is mostly what this quote means to me. That achieving success in something difficult does not mean being able to do every difficult thing.
You and I took different, yet similar takes on this quote. I really love your ending sentence "Achieving succsess in something difficult does not mean being able to do everything," because this is very true, although I had not thought of it this way .
DeleteThis quote took me some time to understand but I finally got it. In fact the meaning is quite simple it means that every human being can achieve anything. However, you can’t do it all. It takes time to achieve things and trying to do it all in one lifetime is almost impossible. However, time is not the only factor. There are other obstacles in the modern world that stop us from achieving goals. One issue is money. In our current world, almost nothing can be achieved without money. Our world cannot work without it and everyone needs it. For example, this year there was a woman that swam from Cuba to Florida in record time. However, the challenge had taken over twenty years and cost a great amount of money. She wanted to achieve something but she couldn’t do it in a short time. So, if you imagine that someone wants to accomplish many tremendous goals, how much money and time it would take. But these obstacles should not prevent you from trying to accomplish many things. This quote might seem discouraging but you shouldn’t think of it in that way. People must know that everything can be conquered but not in one lifetime. Before, seeing this quote I had not thought of goals like this. I didn’t realize that everything can be achieved. If someone has achieved something it doesn’t mean that another human can’t do it. Humans really stretch limits not for one person, but for everyone.
ReplyDeleteI agree when you said that every human being can acheive anything. If you keep trying on your objectives, then you will succeed. I also mentioned that in my writing.
DeleteI really like how you incorperated money into your example. It really makes your example and the quote easier to just understand and connect with it more. I also like how you used time because this stuff does take a long time.
DeleteYeah, it took me some time to understand it too, until I finally sort of understood it. I also have the same point of view- that it takes time to achieve goals.
DeleteI agree with what you said. It also took me a while to understand the full meaning of this quote.It must've taken a lot of work to get ready to swim from Cuba to Florida for that woman. One point that you brought up about money being a major issue, is a great example of this quote.
DeleteI completley agree with all of the points that you made. However, in the second sentance, it would have been better (in my opinion)to put a colon after the word 'simple'.
DeleteThis quote simply means anything can be done, but not everything is possible. It means you could do anything you wanted in life, fly a plane, and go in a submarine. But there are some things that you will never do in life. You might never explore space, you might never go to mars. When the time comes, you will die of age or other causes, and will never be able to do some things. You might get to go mars, but you may never reach the deepest parts of space. You might cure a form of leukemia, and never see time travel (if possible). What I’m trying to say is that you can accomplish anything you’ve dreamt of and see the world a new way. But you may never have that chance again. You may have saved someone from a fire, you could discover something beyond imagination, but the chance is going to soon disappear. So enjoy life while you can. In your life, go out there and just explore, you might do what no one believed was possible, you could find a new dinosaur, save millions of lives, or just let it come slowly. You are only going to live once (I hate that saying) so show everyone something only you might be able to do. So get off this computer, step outside, and begin that journey to find what you were meant to do. Live your perfect life and do what you do best.
ReplyDeleteI loved how you explained this quote. Your deital was great. You said "I’m trying to say is that you can accomplish anything you’ve dreamt of and see the world a new way." Fantastic! Thanks for expressing your imput.
DeleteYour comment is all most the same as mine but mine is saying bad things about the quote and yours says it up front.
Delete
ReplyDeleteAs a student, I agree with this quote, which is “you can do anything but not everything.” I think that this quote explains that even though you can do anything if you strive to do it, but not everything is possible or realistic. For example, as a student, I have to manage everything between; school, sports, family, friends, and free time. I try to do as much as I can, but sometimes I am faced with choosing one thing over the other in resulting in I can do anything, but not everything because I just don’t have enough time sometimes. Another example, is when people are choosing their major. For example, my cousin first wanted to be a ballerina dancer, but she realizes that she wasn’t able to since it was way too hard, needed more experience, and she couldn’t physically do it because she has broken her ankle twice. Lastly, in the world today most people try to challenge themselves to do things that they might not be able to do but persist our way through it. However, people cannot do everything even with the chance of being able to do anything; for example, when as a president you are responsible for a lot of things and are a big role model for others, so you cannot do everything you might want sometimes.
Your insight on the comment was really great. I also agree wiht you about managing many things like school, sports, family, friends, and free time.
DeleteI can relate to your example because my brother was kind of the same he wanted to major as a teacher but then he decided that he would major as a cook. Good job:)
Delete“You can do anything but not everything.” I think I know what this quote means. It means that you can do anything if you put your mind to it, but you can’t go around killing people and robbing banks. You can do anything you want as long as it’s reasonable. For example, you can do anything like get that math problem right that you can never get, or get a touchdown. You can’t do everything like have superpowers and do any illegal things. There is only so much time in your life, so use it to accomplish life goals that you always wanted to do. Anything means anything you want to do, everything is where you can do everything possible which involves illegal things so that is why we can’t do everything. This is what I think of this quote.
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of depressing quote is this I mean “you can do anything” this is good makes you feel all good inside like “I can do it” but then you have “But not everything” ok we all know we can’t do everything but it’s still good to try, I you are told you can’t do everything then you may not try. This is not the same as the quote “always shoot for the moon, even if you miss you still land with the stars” a great quote has a “you can” and then a “you still can” unlike our quote you have a “you can” and then a “you can’t”. Do you “catch my drift” yet? : No, well then you must be ok with not trying to do all you can with your life. Yes, than good for you care for trying hard and doing all you can.“Just think about this next time something like this comes up, is it inspirational OR depressing”
ReplyDeletePierce, this quote means that you can do almost anything you want, but somethings you may never have the chance to do. You might never solve an almost impossible equation, or save a group of people from a burning building. That means time will prevent these things, they could pass right by you.
DeleteI agree with how you said this quote is depressing. I don't think it's a good idea to tell yourself that you can't do everything because then you will say, "I'm already good at something, why should i try to be good at something else?"
DeleteI understand and agree with this quote. What I think that this quote means is that if you set your mind to something you can do it, no matter what. If you are determined enough then you can do anything, but you can’t do it all at once or even do all of it ever. It may take you years to invent something, and you can, but then you would not be able to do as much with your life. For example, if I decided I wanted to build a plane by scratch then I most likely would be able to with some help. On the other hand if I do that then I would not be able to do as much as I could. In that time I could have taken a vacation or I could have trained for a sport. This really uses a lot of determination if you have a big project. You could just go out and have fun, or you could accomplish your goal in the same amount of time. With enough determination and enough time you can pretty much do anything, but it comes at a cost of what you could have done in that time. It is ok to do one project and miss out on other stuff. If you really want to do an extracurricular project in high school preparing for college, then it may be more beneficial to just do the project and not do other activities. If you just played a sport for fun then you may not want to try to play it in all of your free time. You could just do a project that help your grades and get a jumpstart on college. You can do anything you would ever dream of, but you cannot do it all.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that if you set your mind to it then you can accomplish it. I expressed the very same idea in my response. I also agree with you on taking up time with one goal and not getting to other goal.
DeleteI also talked about how you can't do everything in one lifetime. I also liked your example about the college project.
DeleteYour example helped me understand this quote better because I never thought of when doing anything could mean creating something and that helped me understand that you can’t do everything.
DeleteI completely understand this quote and its meaning. You can do anything you want to if you put your mind to it, focus on it, and “give it your all.” The problem is, you might not get to do it all. It’s as if your lifelong dream is to go to Yale AND Harvard, but you can only go to one college at a time. So, let’s say you love your new job that you got and you don’t want to leave it for a new one. Are you ever going to get to Yale? Trade in the job you love so much for a degree you might not even want. I’ve had firsthand experience with this dilemma myself. When I was 7, my parents asked me if I wanted to go to a new school and get new friends, or stay at the old school and keep everything. I chose to go to the new school because of new opportunities. As you can see, I could not stay at on and go to another. Also my friends and I were playing basketball at the park and my other friend called me and asked me if I wanted to go over to his house and I could only chose one or the other. So, in essence, you can do anything you put your mind to, but you might not get to do it all at once. Most of these decisions are hard to decide what you want to do. As you can see, it is quite simple to understand this quote.
ReplyDeleteI agree with how you said "You can't do it all," because this is very true, there is just not enough time in the world. Great job! :)
DeleteI like your example of changing and going on to something new. When i was younger I had the chance to play on a travel soccer team, but I chose to just stay with my friends and have fun.
Delete“You can do anything, but not everything” Well, I’m not sure that I really understand this quote, but ill go ahead and take a stab at it. Okay, so I’m pretty sure this means, you can do whatever you want, but you can’t do it all.
ReplyDeleteFor example, I play several sports. Although my parents say I can do whatever sport I want, but I can’t do everything. I can do anything I want, but I can’t do everything. There’s just not enough time in the world. What if I played soccer and lacrosse at the same time, and then I had a game at the same time? I could not be at both, so I would have to choose.
As another example, say you want to get really good grades this quarter and in order to do this, youre going to need to study, A LOT. But at the same time, you want to play on your school soccer team. The soccer team has practice 5 days a week. Well, this is not going to coordinate well with your studying schedule. So, you can get good grades and become a better soccer player, just not at the same time.
So, yes you can do anything. Although, you cannot do everything. There is simply not enough time in the world. Anything that you really want can be succeeded, but there is a point where it all becomes to much. In time you will be able to accomplish all of these things, but you have to be very patient.
I really like your thoughts. Your first paragraph is very similar to my whole reflection. I like how you put your first paragraph and actually your whole reflection at that. It's cool how you brought playing 2 different sprots into it.
DeleteI agree with your soccer/grades ananlogy because I think it is a problem many students face. Time management is an important skill for people our age.
DeleteWow! You did a very good explanation of this quote. I completely understand what you are saying in every line. I wish that I could have read this before I wrote my response because mine was WAY off. Yours was right on point.
DeleteI agree, you can to anything but sometimes that anything clashes with something else, therefore you can't do everything
DeleteI think this means, you can do anything you set your mind to. But, only if it is reasonable. I know that if I work very hard at school, I can get straight A’s. I also know if I work insanely hard at making the NBA, I probably can’t. I was not made to do certain things. I know that I can do many things if I want, but I cannot do everything. That is what this quote is trying to explain! In many instances, people do not achieve what they wanted, but if they worked harder, they will probably achieve that goal. If I could give one word that this quote is trying to send to the reader, is persistence. Persistence is when you never stop trying, when you never give up. Always work your hardest and don’t ever sell yourself short of what you can do. You can do anything you want to and don’t limit yourself of what you can do! You cannot also do everything, don’t limit yourself, but don’t try to over achieve either. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING BUT NOT EVERYTHING. In conclusion I think that this quote means that you need to follow your dreams and try your hardest to accomplish what you have always wanted to do.
ReplyDeleteI like your reflection. I especially like your first sentence the most. I like how you put it in the perspective that you really can do anything that you set your mind too.
DeleteI really liked the fact that you included humor in your response. When you said that you probably couldn't make it to the NBA I actually laughed out loud.
Delete“You Can Do Anything But Not Everything”
ReplyDeleteThe first time I read this quote, I didn’t understand it at all, but after a while of thinking I sort of understood it. What I think this quote means is that there are so many things that you can choose to do and you can choose any of them, you just can’t choose every single one of them. For example, if on Halloween the person who’s giving candy at the door says, “You can take any of these, just don’t take every one of them,” then what they mean is that you can choose any candy you want but you can’t take all of them. You can relate this quote to life, too. There are so many things you can do in life, and you can do anything that you want, but you won’t be able to actually do everything. Maybe I want to go skydiving (uhm no I never will, it’s just an example), climb a mountain, become a manager of something, get a puppy, go to every single amusement park in the world, visit all 50 states, go on a cruise, own a frozen yogurt place, so many more and well, anything else I would want to do. Because we will all die at some point, that’s what keeps us from doing all the things that we want to do. It could be that, or maybe it’s some other obstacle that’s keeping you from whatever it is that you want or need to do.
The quote “You can do anything but not everything” is saying that you have the choice to do things, but you may not be allowed to do something. For example, if someone wanted to get a job. If you are old enough, then you can work for some company. You can do it, but it depends on if the owner lets you work for them. Part of life is about accomplishing objectives. Most everyone wants to be successful in life. If you try really hard on something you really want, then you can do it. You will just have to believe in yourself and do what you can to be able to succeed. Sometimes you may not be able to create or think of something, but that should not stop you. You must always continue on your thinking and never give up. In the world today, some people think that they are invincible and can do anything. People think that they can do whatever they want, but sometimes that does not work out well. They can hurt themselves or hurt other people. People also think that they can do everything. They see themselves as the most important person in the world. Sometimes they try to interfere with other people’s jobs or complications, but usually they end up messing up the persons thinking. It is always good to appreciate yourself and never try to be someone who you are not. You can do anything but not everything.
ReplyDeleteBeing 'allowed' to do something is a good way to think about this quote, I wouldn't have ever though of that.
Delete. I like how you incorporated things that someone would actually experience in real life and how this quote applies to these experiences.
DeleteThis quotes means that if you had the chance to do every single thing in the whole world, that it is possible, but that you can’t do everything because there is no time or not enough money for you to do everything. For example if you wanted to travel all around the world when you’re older and you had the amount of money to you could, but then again you might not have enough money to travel or someplace might be dangerous. So you could do anything if you really tried, but there not a lot of money in the world of time to do all of it. Another example is when I’m older I would love to go to places and meet new people and maybe even famous people, but I also need to get a job and have a family of my own. So if I get a good job and have a family I won’t have time to do everything that I want, but I still want to do many things and I’m able to do them if I really tried. These two example show that you can do anything, but not everything. So at least try your best then not trying at all.
ReplyDeleteI think that you completely understand this quote. You know that the things you want to do may never happen in your life. I'm glad you understood this.
DeleteYou can do anything
ReplyDelete“You can do anything but not everything”
I understand this quote to a point. I understand that it’s saying that I can do anything, but how can one do anything but not everything? How does doing anything exclude everything? When I was 5, back in my day, my mom told me this quote, but I never understood it. And to this day, I still do not understand this quote. I couldn’t really apply this quote to any real life situations. When has a person done anything but not everything? I thought of an example of this quote which was, telling a person in a wheel chair to run a marathon.
I thought about this quote for a while and realized what it meant, you can do most things but not everything is possible. It’s like throwing your son a birthday party, but you don’t have a son. This is the best example I could think of because it shows that you could throw a party for someone, but in this example you don’t have a son to throw a party for.
Another thought I had about this quote was that you should do your best but not to overshoot what you can actually do.
I really liked your perspective of the quote. It made me understand the quote in a different way. I had tought of it differently in my comment.
DeleteI think that the reason you didn't really understand this quote is because maybe you've never experienced it, everyone experiences different things and maybe because of the things that I've seen I understand the quote more than you do.
DeleteI agree how you did not understand the quote. It took me a while to actually know what it meant. I also said in my writing that this quote means that you can do anything.
DeleteI think that this quote means that you can do anything you want, but you will never be able to do everything. The simplest example that would help further explain this quote would be one that happens frequently to everyone. This weekend I was supposed to be at two places at the same time, although this is not possible. I could go to either of these places, but I could not go to both. This shows how I could have done anything I wanted, but I was not able to do everything. This quote is somewhat familiar to me because of how often my parents have mentioned it to me. My parents do not use the exact words of this quote, but they usually mention something regarding how I have to pick out what I have time for. This quote reminds me a lot about time management, a very important skill to have. It is possible to do anything, but there is not always enough time to do it all. I feel that this quote is a very important quote to remember because it is needed daily throughout your entire life. These words of wisdom are words to life by.
ReplyDeleteI didn't really think about time management, but when I read your post I did think about prioritising. You can do some things but only when you have the time, you have to decide what is the best way for you to spend your time.
DeleteI really like how you tied this quote into time management. I had not thought of this quote being connected to time management. I had not thought of this quote in that sort of way.
DeleteI really agree with your point of view because you used a great example of how you had two things going on and you couldn't go to both.
DeleteYou can do anything
ReplyDeleteI believe this quote to be true, and agree with it whole-heartedly. It is indeed true that anyone can do what they put their minds to, especially with our current technology. In the past, people think our current technology was impossible, but here we are, currently using the technology they deemed impossible to type a response to a quote, which I will now continue doing. Of course there still is a handful of things we still cannot do due to our current technology, but we simply can’t accomplish them due to our limited time on alive. Which is where the “everything” part of the quote comes from, or I assume that anyway. I will also assume something that most old people, for lack of better term, seem to wish that they were young again, in order to do all the things they missed out on in our limited life spans. Of course because of our limited lifespans, that should give us all the more reason to chase our dreams in hopes of accomplishing them, and enjoy life to its fullest. For some people, there may be a few “bumps” in the road, but just because it’ll be a hardship, doesn’t mean you should just quit either. Some people also seem to assume because if someone tells them they can’t do something, then they can’t. Of course they can’t do it if they don’t try! As the old saying goes, “try, try again.” That’s what I think of the quote.
If you really wanted, you could do anything, but you can’t do everything. The way that I saw this quote is this, you can have any character trait, but you can’t have all of them. At no point of time can you be nice and mean, or exciting and boring. So you can have any character trait, but not every character trait. Also, you can shop at any store you want, but you can’t shop at all of them but at the same time. This quote takes a lot of thinking and erasing and rewriting, it is very hard to explain in words but this is the only way that I could think of. I could think of any way to describe this quote, but I cannot think of every way to describe it.
ReplyDeleteI like your examples. I had a really hard time coming up with examples without contradicting myself, but yours are really good.
DeleteI like how you used the same example but in different ways, you wrote that you can have any character trait but not all of them and that you can think of any way to describe this quote but you can't think of every way
DeleteI liked how you took this quote very litteral. For example, when you said At no point of time can you be nice and mean, or exciting and boring. So you can have any character trait, but not every character trait.
DeleteYou can do anything but not everything…
ReplyDeleteYou can do anything but not everything. What I think that this quote means is that you can accomplish anything that you want but if you wish to accomplish everything then that is just impossible. In my eyes you only have enough time on this earth to accomplish what you want to accomplish and what you need to accomplish to make you successful for example all kids need to go to school (elementary , middle, high school) but not everybody needs to go to college it would be nice for everybody to go to college but not everyone on the face of this earth needs to go to college it’s not something that is required and it is definitely not required for you to accomplish every single thing in this world another example let’s take the movie Wreck It Ralph, Ralph was a bad guy who destroyed things but he wanted to be a good guy that helped people ( to use your powers for the good) but he couldn’t accomplish and master every game in the arcade because that would be hard so he ended up accomplishing what he could so what this quote means to me is that you can accomplish what you want to accomplish but don’t try to accomplish every single thing in the book I mean even I tried that I used to do ballet gymnastics and soccer and I even tried basketball but it didn’t work out it was to much for me to accomplish so I had to give some of it up.
You can do anything but not everything
ReplyDeleteI agree with this quote because it is true that you can do anything that you want to do but it is nearly impossible to do everything that is available to you. An example of this is when people sign up for a lot of activities and sports and end up really busy and try to get everything done, and then they get stressed out. An example of this in my life was when I was in the magnet program at Clearspring Elementary School and it was really hard to keep up with all the homework and projects and there was times when I would stay up all night long finishing everything that I had to do. This was the reason that I did not apply for the magnet middle school, I knew that I could do anything, I knew I could make it into the school but I also knew that applying and going to the school would make it really hard to balance school, sports and all of the other things that come up in life and still have time to relax and enjoy life. This is what I remember before I sign up for something and most other people should think of this quote before doing anything in their lives.
You Can Do Anything
ReplyDeleteThis quote, although somewhat confusing, makes some sort of sense. Now, I can guarantee you that this quote makes complete sense to somebody, somewhere, but I’m not that somebody. So I’ll try and make this easy for both of us. Honestly, I have no idea where I’m going with this.
Okay. Deep breath. Remember that one time in elementary school when you did something completely wrong, but some really nice teacher decided that they would cut you some slack and tell you “Yada yada yada you can do anything if you just put your mind to it yada yada yada…”? And in your sassy little elementary school mind, you decided to look them straight in the eye and ask, “So I really can fly?” No? Just me? Okay, anyways I asked you asked this because you knew that you can’t just fly away. What I’m trying to say is that you knew that in reality, there are many things that you can’t do. So, you decided to try and be smart and prove your teacher wrong (although they knew that they were wrong before your sassy self came along). In my mind, this quote means that although you may be able to do anything, you believe that you can’t, and that keeps you from doing it.