Monday, October 7, 2013

We Cannot Solve Our Problems


70 comments:

  1. We cannot solve our problems…
    I only agree with this quote to a fairly large extent. The reason being is that in some cases, you can solve the problem the some way you may have caused them. An example of this might be fire. Fire is known to be effective to put out with another source of fire, which is where (I assume) the famous quote “fight fire with fire” came from. Of course there might be a few other exceptions to this rule, but I can think of none. So instead, I’ll mention a scenario in which case you will need a different type of thinking. A house flooding might be a good example. In some houses with basements, it’s common for one of the pipes residing there to spring a leak, or much worse. A result of this could either just be a few annoying puddles, or an entire flooding of the basement. You can’t really solve this by trying to break another pipe that would just worsen it, so instead you have to fix it. Of course there’s still the problem of the basement being flooded, but that’s a personal problem, not mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, "Fight fire with fire" is exactly what i first thought when I saw this quote, but I think that a lot of people sort of misinterperate that to mean that if someone is mean to them they should be mean back, so maybe this quote was created to set that straight.

      Delete
  2. “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” Well, Albert Einstein was a wise man for saying this. Although this quote makes me wonder.
    Have you ever wondered about what kind of person would just say this in the middle of a sentence? I mean I know that Albert Einstein was educated and a very smart man, but who says these kinds of things. I am constantly wondering this. Who just goes around with these great proverbs just rolling of the tongue? I don’t know, about you, but this is always something that I have wondered

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok this qoute made you wonder but how does a qoute like this make you think of "what kind of person would just say this in the middle of a sentence". It just do not understand.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. We Cannot Solve Our Problems

    “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
    What this quote is saying is that, in order to solve a problem that you have created, you’re going to have to slow down, think about what you’ve done, make a new plan, and then fix that problem. Like the chemical warfare issue involving Syria. The U.S. has found the problem, which is that Syria is in possession of chemical weapons, and what our president, Barack Obama, wanted to do, was to bomb Syria to punish them. What that would’ve done, was start a new war and we don’t need that because we have our own problems to worry about. So Russia stepped in and decided to give Syria a paper to sign saying that they would not use the chemical weapons for harm and something about how in 2014 they would get rid of their chemical weapons. What this was doing, was taking Syria’s problem and thinking about better ways to solve it instead of starting a new war with them and getting involved into too much stuff that we don’t need to be involved in. That is my belief of the quote, “We Cannot Solve Our Problems.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them” Albert Einstein. I agree with this quote, in math class when we make our problems we would do the opposite of what we did. For example, If we started with x=5 and multiplied it by 2 it would be 5x=10. When we would solve it we would divide by 2 to get x=5 again. This is why I agree with this quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good example, relating it to math. THat makes a lot of sence when you said " in math class when we make our problems we would do the opposite of what we did. For example, If we started with x=5 and multiplied it by 2 it would be 5x=10." You could have given more than one example, but you still did well.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. I do not really understand this quote. Of course, it makes sense that once you have a problem, you would never want to go back and re-do it all over again once it’s all solved. But, what if it comes down to honesty? What if you created a problem by being honest, and then be honest again to try to solve it? That can usually work. For instance, let’s say you were being honest and told someone something you weren’t supposed to because another friend had said something bad about the person you told and you said you would keep it a secret but knew it wouldn’t be right not to tell the person. If the other person found out you told this one person, they could be very angry or upset but by telling the truth your problem may be resolved. So, sometimes it is okay to use the same thinking you did when the problem was created.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I do agree with this quote, in some circumstances. It’s true with conflict. When you get in an argument with someone, or you yell at someone, and afterwards someone tells you to make up, for instance. They made a mistake and you scream at them “What’s wrong with you?!” Well, first of all, you wouldn’t yell at that person again, when you’re trying to make up with them. You would talk calmly and reasonably to them.
    This quote is not believable when you’re thinking of the aspect of math. When you’re solving those “think back equations” where they give you the answer and you have to come up with a problem that works. Well, then this quote wouldn’t work at all, then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  7. I think the perfect example of this quote is our government shutdown. I don’t know a lot about this topic (the only knowledge I have is from listening to my dad yell at the news anchors), but I know enough to understand that neither side in this conflict is giving in whatsoever. They keep saying they’re going to solve this, they keep saying they will compromise, but apparently their idea of a compromise is, “If I don’t get everything I want, the deal is off.” Since they have opposing viewpoints this is clearly not going to work. They CREATED this problem thinking like that- do they really think they can solve it by thinking in the same way? Maybe the both sides just need to listen to each other. If an eighth grader can figure this out, the politicians should be able to figure it out too. I’m not saying I have the answer. I’m just saying, well, that someone should introduce them to this quote. They are thinking that they can solve this huge problem by using the same sort of thinking they used when they got our country into this mess- “I’m right, you’re wrong, and I simply will not stand to have it told to me in any other way”. I have a strong feeling that if they could see it from the outside, as a citizen or even a child, they’d agree that it sounds pretty ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  8. “We cannot solve our problems…”
    I think that this quote means that if you create a problem you can’t use the same thinking you used, because now you have to solve the problem. So, there has to be a different way to solve it. For example, if the problem you have is that you broke something, you wouldn’t solve it by doing whatever you did to create the problem, which was to break it, you would think differently and get it fixed. That’s not really a good example, but I can’t think of a good one so I’ll just go with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I understand this quote, it’s saying that you can’t think the same thing when trying to solve a problem then when you created the problem. If you create a problem it is usually the wrong thing to think when trying to solve it because it could make it worse. So let’s say there where two girls, Lexi and Sophie, and they were in a fight. Lexi thought that Sophie cheated on a test, but that was not true and that’s how they started fighting. Lexi now has to think of a way to solve her and Sophie’s relationship, but she can’t think that Sophie really cheated or it won’t solve their problem. She has to think of what’s right not wrong. So this feud with Lexi and Sophie won’t be solved if Lexi is thinking the way she created the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that the quote, “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them,” most nearly relates the current government shut down. For example, the current government has to deal with everyday situations that they might have created, and have to use a different way to solve them. The government has so many challenges that they face each and every day just like us humans might create a problem, but we cannot solve it how we might have created it. For example, the quote “Humans create their very own problems.” This quote represents how people today can do something bad or good to create a challenge or an obstacle that the will have to decipher maybe later on in life, probably a much different way. Lastly, for example, in school people could do something bad and they don’t get caught and don’t tell the truth, in the long run they get in much more trouble than they would of before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  11. What this quote is saying is that we must find new solutions to problems we may have caused, in other words we can’t solve a situation the same way every time it happens. For example, I’ve had to deal with a lot of bullying growing up, I’ve dealt with brutes who just wanted to make me suffer, I was one day even tackled and choked by an old neighbor who wanted me dead for walking near his drive way. I then had to deal with him every day I walked to the bus, walked home, went to class, and even just sitting outside. I eventually moved away about two years later, but after it all, it still caused a problem. I always sit and wonder, will I have to deal with someone like my old neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  12. I think that this quote means that if we are looking for a change, then we need to open our minds to new ideas and change our thinking. If you wanted to learn to ride a bike, but you keep falling over and over again, then you need to get a new strategy, you wouldn’t just keep doing the same thing and continue to hurt yourself. Another example would be the 911 attacks. Because we had minimal airport security, terrorists got onto our planes with guns and caused a lot of damage. This caused us to increase our airport security. If we never changed the way we run our airports, then there would be a lot more problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  13. I totally get this quote, we cannot solve our problems with the thinking that made the problem because if that was possible there would be no problems to begin with. For example take a two totally different things made two totally in different ways and you only know how to build one, you have a problem cannot build them the other one the same way built the first, you cannot solve the problem the same thinking you used the first time. This example may not be the best but it sort of gets my idea thru, if you could built both objects the same you would have no problem to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  14. I understand this quote. It’s saying that whatever you did to create a problem then you can’t do that same thing to fix the problem. If I were writing an English essay and I used a certain dictionary to help me use words in the right context but I still did it wrong, then to fix the problem I couldn’t use that same dictionary. But this quote isn’t always true, if I got my finger stuck in a hole (the problem) by shoving it in the hole (the way the problem was created) then to get my finger out (solving the problem) it would have to come out the same way that it went in (the same way that the problem was created). But this quote is still true most of the time so yes it could be said as a generalization, a lot of things are generalizations because you can often find a circumstance where something is false. But I’d say that this quote is true most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  15. I agree with the quote. In order to solve a problem we cannot use the same thinking that got us there. For example, if a car broke, we can’t fix it by breaking it again. In order to solve almost all problems we need to think new and innovative. If people don’t do this we will be stuck in a rut all day. Many people today spend unnecessary time trying to solve a problem. Many people try to do it in a traditional way, but we must think out of the box. We need to create new ways so we prevent future problems too. Also, if someone does what created the problem it would result in getting you stuck and making your problem more complex. An example would be if you were making a table. If one of the legs cracks while to process of making the chair you would be in a problem. Most people would take a new piece of the same kind. However, the fault of the problem might be that the wood is not strong enough. If people could see this quote, much more problems would be solved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  16. This is one very confusing quote but I think I understand its meaning. I guessing that this quote is supposed to mean that when problem solving, you must think outside the box and cannot be set on one idea. For instance, when you are trying to understand this quote, think about relations you may have with this quote. But beside the point, when you create a problem you must think of different ways to solve it. Like when you have a tough math problem you can’t always solve it the way you made it, you must think of how to solve it using a different method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  17. This is true, because if we did think the same way when solving a problem as a solution, we would never solve anything. For example, when creating slavery, people used cruel and merciless minds to think that one race of people is inferior than another, but when we solved slavery, people used the voice of reason and that solved it. The way the early American’s thought turned into a very different thing, so the new idea that everyone is equal, was different thinking, and it got that slavery problawqazem solved. That example could not be more clear proving this quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  18. “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” I think this quote means that if you create a problem, in order to make a solution you have to use prior knowledge and know what will come out of your trying to make things better.
    For example, one time my uncle built a pool in his backyard and invited the family to come over after he had finished it. He couldn’t get the chemicals right and it somehow turned my aunt’s hair green because she was the first one to get in. In order to fix the problem, my uncle changed and corrected the chemicals and then gave my aunt a lot of money to get a mani-pedi and dye her hair back. My uncle knew that doing this would fix the problem, and he also knew that my aunt wouldn’t be mad anymore. Even though my example is a little weird, a lot of people experience this quote every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  19. We Cannot Solve Our Own Problems

    I understand this quote because what I think this quote means is that when you create a problem, if you think the same way when you got the problem, there will be no solution. That means that you have to change your thinking process. It may be a simple concept, but at times it can be quiet difficult to do things that you are not used to doing. For example, pretend you wanted to stop getting yellow cards in soccer (a penalty). You cannot go into the game thinking you will play the same and get no penalties. You have to play a whole different game from what you are used to. It may be a drastic change, but over time it will get easier and then your problem will be resolved and it may be working out better than you ever could have expected it. I can also relate to this quote because in math there is a lot of problem solving. If you get it wrong the first time, then you have to either look over what you did, or find another way to solve it. Usually it can just be little error to fix, but sometimes you just did the whole problem wrong. Sometimes it may take even more than one try for something. If you keep trying then you will get the solution to the problem for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  20. I agree with the quote by Albert Einstein. The quote is “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” You cannot use the same thinking to solve problems as you did creating them. For example, think about if you are building a structure. If it collapses, what are you going to do? You would not use the same thinking as last time or else the structure will collapse again. So, if you want to improve on the structure, then you will have to think of new ideas to be successful. Solving problems if a big part of life. If you do not solve problems, you will not succeed. It is also important to know how to solve them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  21. This quote reminds me of a well-known current event, the government shutdown. There are two main opposing sides, the Democratic political party, and the Republican political party. Although I won’t go into the specifics, as this is an English writing assignment and not a history report, the large problem that has risen is the Republican’s opposition to the ‘Affordable Healthcare Act’ more commonly known as “Obamacare”.
    This whole government shutdown, in my (not so humbly extremely liberal) mind, is completely unnecessary. Sure, both parties are at wrong, but this entire issue could be solved much more easily if we were able to come to an agreement on the issue. As this quote states, problems can’t be solved using the same thinking we used when the problem arose. Change is a necessary thing in life, whether it be to solve a problem, or to start a new beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  22. I agree with this quote. It is very true, you cannot solve a problem with the same mindset that you used to create it. To solve a problem, you would need to put yourself in a mindset that would focus on what caused your problem. Then, you would need to figure out how to reverse those causes. It would be really difficult to solve your problem if your mind continued to linger in the thoughts that evolved into your problem. This quote also has to do with staying in the present. If your mind focuses on what has passed, you will not be able to focus on what is present. Your problems are like your past, while solving your problems is your present time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  23. When I selected the quote for this week’s reflection warm up, it jumped out at me because of the current government shutdown. I thought that this quote gave us the chance to think about how the way government runs is similar to how we run our lives or how adults run their households. It made me realize that problems governments deal with are similar to the problems we encounter every day.
    In order to solve many problems, one must think “outside the box”. I think that this quote speaks to the “out of the box” mentality of problem solving. One must first determine if a problem actually exists. Oftentimes people try to fix or improve situations that are not “broken”. In line with my previous cliché – “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” and then decide how the problem should be solved.
    When I first started teaching I read a book entitled The 18th Emergency by Betsy Byars. The story was about a boy that was dealing with the issue of a bully. He continually encountered problems and obstacles throughout the book when dealing with this bully at school, Hammerman. The theme of the book was that the obvious answer to your problem isn’t always the correct one. It seemed that in order to solve his problems, the main character had to do something that, at first thought, seemed unnatural. This is difficult for us, as humans, to do. We do not like being uncomfortable and avoid it at all costs.
    I have to think about this often when I encounter daily dilemmas at work and at school. The first, most obvious solution may not be the best one. It sometimes even takes asking another person to help you solve a problem to come up with a good solution. Sometimes it is so difficult for us to “think outside the box” that we need to consult with someone further removed from the situation and take their perspective into account when determining the best solution.
    Though I am not a political person, I think about the members of our Senate and House of Representatives, many of whom feel that they have the “best” solution to “fixing” our government, and I ask myself two things. First, do these “problems” really need to be “fixed”, and has our government considered that the best options for Americans may not be the ones that seems most obvious at first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  24. “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”
    When I thought about this quote, I remembered about another phrase: “Think outside the box”. This popped in my head because I thought the quote through, and if you have to use different thinking then what you started with, you are essentially thinking outside the box. An example of this quote is if you’ve heard about the government shutting down. I think it was about an argument between the two parties, but they must’ve had a problem. So they should use different thinking then what they had had prior to the event of the shutdown. This quote can apply to any aspect of life, such as if you’ve broken a vase, you know the issue has to be addressed, but you also do not want to get into trouble. So you(should’ve) told the owner of the vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  25. I agree with this quote strongly because it is true that you have to change something to solve problems, whether it is you feelings, thoughts or actions. I have experienced this quote in my life many times before. On small example of this was on time when I was younger, I was trying to watch TV and I turned on the TV and nothing showed up, so I kept on turning the TV on and off, changing the settings and all this other stuff and then I stopped and thought about why it wasn’t working and then I realized the cable box wasn’t on. Another example of this was one time when my brother kept on telling random lies that made no sense and my mom and dad kept on yelling at him for it, but then they changed their thoughts on how to correct him and they started telling him not to make up these lies to impress people but turn them into written stories or instead say “What if…”and then say what he was going to say. This quote is very true in my life and for most other situations around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  26. I believe that this quote means that sometimes we all need the assistance of someone else to help us get out of a sticky situation. If I had a problem then trying to solve it myself could possibly make the situation worse. Some problems are just too complex to be handled by one person.
    It makes sense that if you make a problem then it will be difficult to get out of the problem by yourself. If your thinking gets you into a challenging situation then how is it possible that the same thinking could get you out of that predicament? This quote reminds me of glasses. Everyone has a different perspective, and looking at a situation through another pair of eyes may make the solution much clearer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is an interesting comment, but you have not reflected on the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We cannot solve our problems…
    What this quote means to me is that when you have a problem that you created you can’t use the same
    Ideas to solve it as you used to cause it you have to think outside the box. For example most people get
    Injured in sports like soccer and football, so let’s say that you broke your foot you can’t say ‘’ oh I’m
    Never going to make that move again’’ you have to find solutions to make you better in the future you
    Can’t make yourself better by using the past. For example let’s say you robbed a store and you got
    Caught you can’t Use the same thinking you used to get yourself into the situation out of the situation.
    So in that case what this quote is pretty much trying to say is you can’t solve your problems with the
    Same excuse that you used when you first thought about what you were getting yourself into.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please remember to include your first name and last initial before commenting.