Well, this quote goes right to an incident that I encountered yesterday morning. Something happened, and after-wards my friends and I were all voicing how we were going to “report this to the principal” or “Protest for better behavior control”. The thing is, that didn’t happen. I was the only one out of maybe four or five students that had actually reported it. So basically, my friends were smart and I was intelligent. I feel that after thinking that, this quote is very true. Though I feel there should’ve been a different adjective, because it seemed to confuse people. Smart and intelligent are too similar, it sent some beings into overload.
I think you're right about how this applies to school. Sort of like the "see something, say something" thing. People want to go on and on about how they dissaprove of something, but they never actually do anything about it.
Smart People Know What to Say I believe in this quote because it matters what time you say things. You can’t just go around saying things to people. Timing is everything. I have experienced a situation where I shouldn’t have said something at that time. It was when my dog ate something weird and barfed in my room. When I called to tell my mom, she must have been in a bad mood because she got all mad and told me that it was my fault and that I had to go and clean it up right away. I definitely should have timed that one better.
I think this quote is very easy to understand because it depends on the situation you’re in. For example, I’ve listened to friends and understand their problems and know exactly what to say. Unfortunately I don’t know whether or not to say it. If my friend had a rough day I would either hold back or say it depending on their mood. Thankfully, I make the right choice every time. If you need to say something, say it when it feels right.
I think this quote is about social skills. This quote means that some smart people know the answer, but some know the right time to say it. Someone who knows the right time to say something bad or good has good social skills, but someone who says something at the wrong time has good social skills towards others. For example, who someone is having a bad day , of receiving a bad grade in school on a test, the right person notices that he has a booger hanging out of his nose, knows when to tell him not to make him have a worse day. A person with good social skills knows when to be nice for someone to not have more of a bad day.
I don’t really agree with this quote. I remember one time when my friend’s cat had just died and she called me, she was crying and I knew that is was the right time to say something comforting but I didn’t know what to say. So does that make me wise because I knew when to say something? I’m certainly not smart because I didn’t know what to say. So what does that make me?
This quote is much too vague, it could be interpreted many different ways but in the end we are all just judging each other’s intelligence. But does it really matter if I’m smart, wise, stupid or dumb? And how can we be sure that we have an accurate judgment? Maybe one day I didn’t know what to say or when to say it but on all the other days of the week I knew what to say and when to say it. If you only saw me on that one day then you couldn’t really judge my intelligence. All this quote does is make us question ourselves and others.
I disagree with this quote, “A Smart Person Knows What to Say, a Wise Person Knows Whether or Not to Say It”, because all people are smart in their own ways. So, no one is any smarter than anyone else. People can say intelligent things at certain times but also sometimes they do the opposite. Most of this is based on their social skills. If a person has more advanced social skills, chances are they speak out more than someone who isn’t as advanced. It also can depend on personality. Someone who is more shy or reserved may keep their smart thoughts to themselves. And just because someone else who isn’t as shy and speaks out about something else, it doesn’t mean that was correct or the more reserved person is less smart or less intelligent than the other person.
I agree and disagree. I agree with the point about a reserved person not being less smart because they're shy, but I disagree with point about no one being smarter than another. I think that we are smart in our own ways but there are somethings that others exceed at certain topics.
“Smart people know what to say, intelligent people know when to say it.” I think this is a great quote, and I definitely understand what it means. This quote is saying that there are smart people out there, and there are intelligent people. The smart people may know many things, but they just wouldn’t always know when it’s the right time to say it. For example, maybe the person that you were going to tell something to has had a bad day, so it wouldn’t be the right time to tell him/her. That would be what an intelligent person would do.
The quote “Smart people know when” is a true quote at first I thought otherwise but now I do not know a smart person may not know when to say something but a but someone who does know when to say something may not be wise maybe he/she just has common sense. I think of myself of smart but I do know when to say things even if I sometimes say things at the wrong time I friends have called mw wise (not lying they have). If a stupid person says the right answer at the wrong time by definition given they are smart.
“A smart knows what to say. An intelligent person knows when to say” I understand this quote. A smart person does know what to say they just don’t have the social skills to say it. When an intelligent person does have the social skills to say it. When I was in second grade I would always be nervous to answer the question. Now I have more than enough to answer the questions. This is what I think the quote means.
To me this means knowing when to be quiet. In this quote I think the key words are “OR NOT”. I believe speech is only necessary when it benefits all the listeners. A lot of times people say something because they feel like if they don’t, they’ll look stupid, or be “giving in” to the other person. However the reality is that if you say something just to say you said something (that actually made sense!), you’ll end up looking stupid anyway. Often the wise thing to do is just to observe. My example of this takes me back to my 6th grade math class. We were doing our warm-ups when one student decided to inform me that I had gotten the answer wrong. I had checked and rechecked it and was pretty darn sure it was correct. Rather than arguing with him or her, I just shrugged and went back to reading. Rather than bursting out with why the other person was wrong, I just left it at that. It turned out I was right about the answer, and it felt pretty good to know that in the grand scheme of things I had “won” by being quiet.
I strongly agree with this quote. I do because I do think that some people are complete and total idiots when it comes to knowing when to say something. I associate intelligence with common sense. For example, I think that most people in school do this. They pick the complete and wrong time to say something. Maybe we’ll be watching a video all class. But then as soon as something important comes up, for example, a time to take notes, there’s that one kid just has to go to the bathroom! They had all time to do it and now they just HAVE to go. There are some people who are smart and some are intelligent. But, there is a huge difference between the two.
Smart to intelligent This quote does mean a lot to me, because I feel I am one of the few who understand it. Many people are smart, but few are intelligent. At many times people all around the world can have moments that they are smart, but very rarely are people intelligent. For example, when I was writing an essay in sixth grade, I had everything planed out, but I didn’t know how to put my thoughts on the paper, so I asked Brady (my brother) for help. After I explained the task that needed to be fulfilled he led me thorough it like a general giving commands to his army. In that case I was smart and Brady was intelligent.
A Smart Person Knows What to Say I agree and disagree with this quote because smart people may not know when to say certain things, but intelligent people know exactly how and when to say stuff. Sometimes this is not the case. Even intelligent people can say things at the completely wrong time. The step from being smart to intelligent can be monumental, or it can even be just a little obstacle. It may require many things, but no matter what it requires you need special skills, like social skills. For example, sometimes people I know say stuff at the wrong time, even though I know they are very intelligent. This happens to me as well. I think of an idea but I am not sure whether I should say it or not. Sometimes it works out when I say something, sometimes it does not work out. Whether it works out or not I know for a fact that I made the right choice. There may not be a big leap from smart to intelligent, but there is one. I agree that smart and intelligent are different, but I disagree that smart people do not know when to say things.
A smart person knows what to say, but an intelligent person knows when to say it…
This quote does sort of make it into my mind somehow I guess. I understand the main point in which is trying to get across. I believe that what the author of this quote is trying to say is that there is a bunch of smart people in this world, well somewhat a lot. These smart people ALWAYS know what to say, and of course, being in their instinct, they say what they think. Now what they say is extremely smart and maybe intelligent, it is, but they just happen to say it at the wrong time. Now an intelligent person how so, would know when to say that smart thing. The fact is… they sometimes just don’t know exactly what to say. I have a real life scenario for this quote. It is that once when I was in a class. I think math, there was this kid (in elementary school) who would always, always, ALWAYS have something super smart to say. Just the thing is that, he never knew when to say it. He always said it in the worst of moments. Now also, on the other side of the class there was this kid that was REALLY SMART. Maybe even smarter than the kid who would always say the smart stuff. He was really quiet, and everyone knew that he would always say that smart thing at the right time. The kid who did say the smart stuff would always scream it out when the teacher was instructing. And this is what my understanding of the quote is.
I agree with this quote. I think that to be a wise person, which is supposedly the next step up from being a smart person, you have to have social skills. I watch a show called “The Big Bang Theory”, and this quote reminded me of one of the main characters on the show, Sheldon. He is a genius scientist who has absolutely no social skills whatsoever. If he thinks of something, he will go right out and say it, not thinking about the consequences or repercussions of what he is saying. If he thinks that someone is idiotic, he will tell the person that they are idiotic.
I like how you used "the Big Bang Theory" In this. It helped me better understand the quote, after I thought about Sheldon's character. Hahaha thanks foe helping me understand it even more.
Smart and intelligent people To me this quote is two in one because in my mind intelligent and smart pretty much mean the same Thing it’s just that I think I would scale intelligent on a higher level than smart like intelligent people Might have something that smart people don’t smart people just say something not knowing when the Right/good time to say it is, but on the other hand intelligent people know when the right time to say it Is (good timing) and when you put intelligent and smart together you pretty much have yourself a Genius EX#1 a burglar robs a bank and tells the driver to tell call him when he hears the police and the Burglar comes out of the bank with over a million dollars and the police are right there and the driver Says Their Here it’s pretty clear that he is not so smart.
I think this quote means that while some people are smart and have social skills, other people are smart but they don't have social skills. Smart and intelligent are basically the same thing, but intelligent is on a bit of a higher level. An experience I have had with this is when I had Ms. Hughes for Math last year. She was only wearing one shoe, and when Ms. Hughes was talking, someone asked her why she was only wearing one shoe, and she yelled at them. An intelligent person would ask her after class.
I can relate to this quote because of an experience that I’d witnessed. When I was 8, my grandfather died in India. My dad hadn’t learned of his death. So when my mom told him, he was devastated. She told him at a bad time because he was having a rough day. The quote show in this example because being intelligent means to also have people skills, whereas my mom did not. Being intelligent differs from being smart because of how intelligent people react to any given situation. I view an intelligent person as someone who I can trust.
A Smart Person Knows What to say… I agree with this quote whole-heartedly because it’s kind of how in cartoons when something happens to one of the characters that’s bad, then one of their friends get worse news, they can decide not to tell their friend and be wise, or tell them. Of course since cartoons usually have to be funny, they usually always tell the character the worse news, for example if some ones car breaks down, then there favorite shirt rips, then there girlfriend/boyfriend leaves them with them, then they figure out they’re adopted, then that one friend that that gets the worse news tells them. Another example like this would be something that happened to me, or one of my friends anyway. She was having a really bad day because she first got in a fight with her mom, then when she got to school her favorite shoes got wet (I didn’t find that part all bad considering those shoes looked pretty bad as is) then she couldn’t buy lunch, then at the end of the day, something else happened, but I guess that’s private. Point is I agree with this quote.
I agree with this quote. As discussed, the discussed, the difference between ‘smart and ‘intelligent’ is social skills. So, to be intelligent, you must have social skills. When I hear this quote, I first think of class. In many of my classes, the teacher will ask us, the students, a question and expect us to be able to answer it. Many of us will raise our hands and wait patiently for the teacher to call on us. But suddenly, one student will just blurt out the answer. Sure, they’re smart for knowing the answer, but it takes intelligence to realize that other people are patiently waiting to answer. I agree with this quote and believe that intelligence is different from smartness.
I do not agree with this quote. It just doesn’t make sense to me. This is because in order to be intelligent you must be smart. Although, if you are smart you are not necessarily intelligent. This quote states, ‘’Smart people know what to say, intelligent people know when to say it.’’ If you know when to say something but you don’t know what to say are you intelligent? According to this quote you would be intelligent but not smart. For example, there are many times when my friends are upset and I know that I should say something to them at that moment to cheer them up. I just don’t always know what to say. This shows that I am intelligent but not smart. How can that be possible?
Smart People… I support and understand this quote. Some people know what to say while others know when to say it. If someone’s having a bad day and you know that their dog died, would you tell them on their bad day? This quote means that you have to know when to say things like opinions or thoughts on someone else. Before saying what you were going to say, ask yourself whether or not this person would like what you are saying to them. Or, would they appreciate the comment? Smart people should learn to be wise and acquire social skills.
I think that the meaning of this statement is that a knows what to say but an intelligent person knows when it is the right time say something and whether or not it would affect the person in a wrong way. A time in my life that I should have been more of an intelligent person instead of just a smart person was when my brother was mad at my parents and was having a tantrum in his room and I went in there and told him that everything doesn’t always go your way in life and it made him more angry and then I realized I should of waited till he calmed down. Everyone should try to be more intelligent.
“A smart person knows what to say, a wise person knows whether or not to say it.” I do not know how I feel about this quote. I guess I have to agree with it. I believe everyone is smart to some degree but if you think about it, being smart and being wise are two totally different things. Being smart or intelligent is showing that you understand something. Being wise is when you know what to do or say because of trial and error, prior knowledge, or because of past mistakes. One time I was watching a TV show called CSI: New York and this lady found out that her husband has just been murdered. The investigator finds the murderer who turns out to be her daughter. They choose not to tell her this until the very end, so she could take some time to grieve and what not. (This is a fake show.) This is an example of this quote, I think. Sometimes, people can know what to say, but not always when to say it.
I agree with this statement in many ways. First of all, wise is a more powerful vocabulary word than smart. You must socially interact with people and have common sense. One time I saw someone having a very stressful day and his mom told him some news that he did not want to hear. She told him that his fish had died. It made the situation even worse. She was not a very wise person to say that because it made his day even more stressful. A wise person would wait until the person is in a better mood to tell them the not so good news.
Smart people I think that the meaning is that those who are smart may know what to say. But they may not know when to say it because they may not have experience. Then on the other hand wise people know when to say it. Because to be wise you must be a step ahead and have made mistakes and have learned from them and you must have realized that what you learned from those mistakes is what makes you wise. But then any ways what I’m trying to say Is that because of mistakes you become wise and eventually know what to say AND when to say it.
I agree with the quote because there is a difference from being smart and being intelligent. Smart people are educated, but intelligent people are educated and wise. Intelligent people use their social skills so they know when or whether to say something. An example is when people say things in public when they shouldn’t. Like if you say a curse word in front of a little kid or an adult. First little kids shouldn’t know any curse word and if they hear someone older than them they would usually copy what they say. Second for adults they don’t like the language some people use in this generation. When they were kids there would be consequences, for us there not much anyone can do. So it’s better to be an intelligent person than a smart person.
I agree with you. Your example too because I hear grown ups talking inappropriately in front of my nephews all of the time and then they come home and ask us what the words mean. >.<
Well, this quote goes right to an incident that I encountered yesterday morning. Something happened, and after-wards my friends and I were all voicing how we were going to “report this to the principal” or “Protest for better behavior control”. The thing is, that didn’t happen. I was the only one out of maybe four or five students that had actually reported it. So basically, my friends were smart and I was intelligent. I feel that after thinking that, this quote is very true. Though I feel there should’ve been a different adjective, because it seemed to confuse people. Smart and intelligent are too similar, it sent some beings into overload.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right about how this applies to school. Sort of like the "see something, say something" thing. People want to go on and on about how they dissaprove of something, but they never actually do anything about it.
DeleteI think that your story is a great example of this quote. It was good that you acted intelligent in this situation.
DeleteSmart People Know What to Say
ReplyDeleteI believe in this quote because it matters what time you say things. You can’t just go around saying things to people. Timing is everything. I have experienced a situation where I shouldn’t have said something at that time. It was when my dog ate something weird and barfed in my room. When I called to tell my mom, she must have been in a bad mood because she got all mad and told me that it was my fault and that I had to go and clean it up right away. I definitely should have timed that one better.
I agree with this. Sometimes it depends on a persons mood weather or not you should say something.
DeleteIf you hadn't told your mother, it might have caused problems like your room smelling like dog barf. Trust me, my dog's done the same.
DeleteEven though I had a different view point originally I still do agree with this. Timing is very important.
DeleteI think this quote is very easy to understand because it depends on the situation you’re in. For example, I’ve listened to friends and understand their problems and know exactly what to say. Unfortunately I don’t know whether or not to say it. If my friend had a rough day I would either hold back or say it depending on their mood. Thankfully, I make the right choice every time. If you need to say something, say it when it feels right.
ReplyDeleteThis is very true. Good job. That's good that you know when to say it, to make someoneone not feel bad.
DeleteI think this quote is about social skills. This quote means that some smart people know the answer, but some know the right time to say it. Someone who knows the right time to say something bad or good has good social skills, but someone who says something at the wrong time has good social skills towards others. For example, who someone is having a bad day , of receiving a bad grade in school on a test, the right person notices that he has a booger hanging out of his nose, knows when to tell him not to make him have a worse day. A person with good social skills knows when to be nice for someone to not have more of a bad day.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed that example, because it made me laugh.
DeleteGreat example Daniel. I agree about the social skills.
Deletewhat is this I mean this is a very "?" way to think of this. :)
DeleteWe both wrote about social skills. Also, your example is hilarious.
DeleteI agree with the examples. Telling someone in public and it being embarrising would be horrible.
DeleteNice thinking. Also, I like your example.
DeleteI understand this. Before I read this comment I didn't really think about social skills so this helped me to understand the quote more.
DeleteI don’t really agree with this quote. I remember one time when my friend’s cat had just died and she called me, she was crying and I knew that is was the right time to say something comforting but I didn’t know what to say. So does that make me wise because I knew when to say something? I’m certainly not smart because I didn’t know what to say. So what does that make me?
ReplyDeleteThis quote is much too vague, it could be interpreted many different ways but in the end we are all just judging each other’s intelligence. But does it really matter if I’m smart, wise, stupid or dumb? And how can we be sure that we have an accurate judgment? Maybe one day I didn’t know what to say or when to say it but on all the other days of the week I knew what to say and when to say it. If you only saw me on that one day then you couldn’t really judge my intelligence. All this quote does is make us question ourselves and others.
I disagree with this quote, “A Smart Person Knows What to Say, a Wise Person Knows Whether or Not to Say It”, because all people are smart in their own ways. So, no one is any smarter than anyone else. People can say intelligent things at certain times but also sometimes they do the opposite. Most of this is based on their social skills. If a person has more advanced social skills, chances are they speak out more than someone who isn’t as advanced. It also can depend on personality. Someone who is more shy or reserved may keep their smart thoughts to themselves. And just because someone else who isn’t as shy and speaks out about something else, it doesn’t mean that was correct or the more reserved person is less smart or less intelligent than the other person.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree because no one is better than anyone else.
DeleteGreat thinking. I liked how you considered both sides of the quote.
DeleteI agree. No one is better than others, were all equal.
DeleteI agree and disagree. I agree with the point about a reserved person not being less smart because they're shy, but I disagree with point about no one being smarter than another. I think that we are smart in our own ways but there are somethings that others exceed at certain topics.
Delete“Smart people know what to say, intelligent people know when to say it.”
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great quote, and I definitely understand what it means. This quote is saying that there are smart people out there, and there are intelligent people. The smart people may know many things, but they just wouldn’t always know when it’s the right time to say it. For example, maybe the person that you were going to tell something to has had a bad day, so it wouldn’t be the right time to tell him/her. That would be what an intelligent person would do.
Very well put. I must agree you have the right idea.
DeleteThe quote “Smart people know when” is a true quote at first I thought otherwise but now I do not know a smart person may not know when to say something but a but someone who does know when to say something may not be wise maybe he/she just has common sense. I think of myself of smart but I do know when to say things even if I sometimes say things at the wrong time I friends have called mw wise (not lying they have). If a stupid person says the right answer at the wrong time by definition given they are smart.
ReplyDelete“A smart knows what to say. An intelligent person knows when to say” I understand this quote. A smart person does know what to say they just don’t have the social skills to say it. When an intelligent person does have the social skills to say it. When I was in second grade I would always be nervous to answer the question. Now I have more than enough to answer the questions. This is what I think the quote means.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you say that a smart person does know when to say it, but needs the social skills to know when to say it.
DeleteGood job. I did the same thing when I was youger.
DeleteThat's true. I still do it today.
DeleteTo me this means knowing when to be quiet. In this quote I think the key words are “OR NOT”. I believe speech is only necessary when it benefits all the listeners. A lot of times people say something because they feel like if they don’t, they’ll look stupid, or be “giving in” to the other person. However the reality is that if you say something just to say you said something (that actually made sense!), you’ll end up looking stupid anyway. Often the wise thing to do is just to observe. My example of this takes me back to my 6th grade math class. We were doing our warm-ups when one student decided to inform me that I had gotten the answer wrong. I had checked and rechecked it and was pretty darn sure it was correct. Rather than arguing with him or her, I just shrugged and went back to reading. Rather than bursting out with why the other person was wrong, I just left it at that. It turned out I was right about the answer, and it felt pretty good to know that in the grand scheme of things I had “won” by being quiet.
ReplyDeleteI strongly agree with this quote. I do because I do think that some people are complete and total idiots when it comes to knowing when to say something. I associate intelligence with common sense.
ReplyDeleteFor example, I think that most people in school do this. They pick the complete and wrong time to say something. Maybe we’ll be watching a video all class. But then as soon as something important comes up, for example, a time to take notes, there’s that one kid just has to go to the bathroom! They had all time to do it and now they just HAVE to go.
There are some people who are smart and some are intelligent. But, there is a huge difference between the two.
"Complete and total idiots" haha I totally agree
DeleteSmart to intelligent
ReplyDeleteThis quote does mean a lot to me, because I feel I am one of the few who understand it. Many people are smart, but few are intelligent. At many times people all around the world can have moments that they are smart, but very rarely are people intelligent. For example, when I was writing an essay in sixth grade, I had everything planed out, but I didn’t know how to put my thoughts on the paper, so I asked Brady (my brother) for help. After I explained the task that needed to be fulfilled he led me thorough it like a general giving commands to his army. In that case I was smart and Brady was intelligent.
I can agree with this because I have done the same with my brother. Nice thinking!
DeleteI really like your example and how you elaborated on the quote.
DeleteA Smart Person Knows What to Say
ReplyDeleteI agree and disagree with this quote because smart people may not know when to say certain things, but intelligent people know exactly how and when to say stuff. Sometimes this is not the case. Even intelligent people can say things at the completely wrong time. The step from being smart to intelligent can be monumental, or it can even be just a little obstacle. It may require many things, but no matter what it requires you need special skills, like social skills. For example, sometimes people I know say stuff at the wrong time, even though I know they are very intelligent. This happens to me as well. I think of an idea but I am not sure whether I should say it or not. Sometimes it works out when I say something, sometimes it does not work out. Whether it works out or not I know for a fact that I made the right choice. There may not be a big leap from smart to intelligent, but there is one. I agree that smart and intelligent are different, but I disagree that smart people do not know when to say things.
I like your word choices :) I agree with what you said about the step being monumental or just a little obsticale.
DeleteA smart person….
ReplyDeleteA smart person knows what to say, but an intelligent person knows when to say it…
This quote does sort of make it into my mind somehow I guess. I understand the main point in which is trying to get across. I believe that what the author of this quote is trying to say is that there is a bunch of smart people in this world, well somewhat a lot. These smart people ALWAYS know what to say, and of course, being in their instinct, they say what they think. Now what they say is extremely smart and maybe intelligent, it is, but they just happen to say it at the wrong time. Now an intelligent person how so, would know when to say that smart thing. The fact is… they sometimes just don’t know exactly what to say.
I have a real life scenario for this quote. It is that once when I was in a class. I think math, there was this kid (in elementary school) who would always, always, ALWAYS have something super smart to say. Just the thing is that, he never knew when to say it. He always said it in the worst of moments. Now also, on the other side of the class there was this kid that was REALLY SMART. Maybe even smarter than the kid who would always say the smart stuff. He was really quiet, and everyone knew that he would always say that smart thing at the right time. The kid who did say the smart stuff would always scream it out when the teacher was instructing. And this is what my understanding of the quote is.
I agree with this quote. I think that to be a wise person, which is supposedly the next step up from being a smart person, you have to have social skills. I watch a show called “The Big Bang Theory”, and this quote reminded me of one of the main characters on the show, Sheldon. He is a genius scientist who has absolutely no social skills whatsoever. If he thinks of something, he will go right out and say it, not thinking about the consequences or repercussions of what he is saying. If he thinks that someone is idiotic, he will tell the person that they are idiotic.
ReplyDeleteI like how you used "the Big Bang Theory" In this. It helped me better understand the quote, after I thought about Sheldon's character. Hahaha thanks foe helping me understand it even more.
DeleteI agree. Sometimes even if a person is really smart they arn't necessarily wise. I really like the example of Sheldon.
DeleteSmart and intelligent people
ReplyDeleteTo me this quote is two in one because in my mind intelligent and smart pretty much mean the same
Thing it’s just that I think I would scale intelligent on a higher level than smart like intelligent people
Might have something that smart people don’t smart people just say something not knowing when the
Right/good time to say it is, but on the other hand intelligent people know when the right time to say it
Is (good timing) and when you put intelligent and smart together you pretty much have yourself a
Genius EX#1 a burglar robs a bank and tells the driver to tell call him when he hears the police and the
Burglar comes out of the bank with over a million dollars and the police are right there and the driver
Says Their Here it’s pretty clear that he is not so smart.
That was a very creative example. I never thought of the quote like that.
DeleteI think this quote means that while some people are smart and have social skills, other people are smart but they don't have social skills. Smart and intelligent are basically the same thing, but intelligent is on a bit of a higher level. An experience I have had with this is when I had Ms. Hughes for Math last year. She was only wearing one shoe, and when Ms. Hughes was talking, someone asked her why she was only wearing one shoe, and she yelled at them. An intelligent person would ask her after class.
ReplyDeleteYes I agree, an intelligint person would ask her after class. I see what you are saying.
DeleteI can relate to this quote because of an experience that I’d witnessed. When I was 8, my grandfather died in India. My dad hadn’t learned of his death. So when my mom told him, he was devastated. She told him at a bad time because he was having a rough day. The quote show in this example because being intelligent means to also have people skills, whereas my mom did not. Being intelligent differs from being smart because of how intelligent people react to any given situation. I view an intelligent person as someone who I can trust.
ReplyDeleteThis truly does make sense, I like your example. I'm sorry about your grandfather though. That was a smart example.
DeleteI cannot relate to this, but I understand what your talking about.
DeleteA Smart Person Knows What to say…
ReplyDeleteI agree with this quote whole-heartedly because it’s kind of how in cartoons when something happens to one of the characters that’s bad, then one of their friends get worse news, they can decide not to tell their friend and be wise, or tell them. Of course since cartoons usually have to be funny, they usually always tell the character the worse news, for example if some ones car breaks down, then there favorite shirt rips, then there girlfriend/boyfriend leaves them with them, then they figure out they’re adopted, then that one friend that that gets the worse news tells them. Another example like this would be something that happened to me, or one of my friends anyway. She was having a really bad day because she first got in a fight with her mom, then when she got to school her favorite shoes got wet (I didn’t find that part all bad considering those shoes looked pretty bad as is) then she couldn’t buy lunch, then at the end of the day, something else happened, but I guess that’s private. Point is I agree with this quote.
I agree with this quote. As discussed, the discussed, the difference between ‘smart and ‘intelligent’ is social skills. So, to be intelligent, you must have social skills.
ReplyDeleteWhen I hear this quote, I first think of class. In many of my classes, the teacher will ask us, the students, a question and expect us to be able to answer it. Many of us will raise our hands and wait patiently for the teacher to call on us. But suddenly, one student will just blurt out the answer. Sure, they’re smart for knowing the answer, but it takes intelligence to realize that other people are patiently waiting to answer. I agree with this quote and believe that intelligence is different from smartness.
Your viewpoint was slightly different than mine but I agree with you. It does take social skills.
DeleteThis is very thought out.
DeleteI agree with this. That was a very good example you used when describing how inteligent people know what to say.
DeleteThat is true that students blurt out the anwers alot. It is really annoying.
DeleteGreat job, Joey. I like the examples you gave.
Delete
ReplyDeleteI do not agree with this quote. It just doesn’t make sense to me. This is because in order to be intelligent you must be smart. Although, if you are smart you are not necessarily intelligent. This quote states, ‘’Smart people know what to say, intelligent people know when to say it.’’ If you know when to say something but you don’t know what to say are you intelligent? According to this quote you would be intelligent but not smart. For example, there are many times when my friends are upset and I know that I should say something to them at that moment to cheer them up. I just don’t always know what to say. This shows that I am intelligent but not smart. How can that be possible?
I had not thought of it that way. It is a very creative way of looking at this quote and now it is hard for me to look at it differently than that.
DeleteSmart People…
ReplyDeleteI support and understand this quote. Some people know what to say while others know when to say it. If someone’s having a bad day and you know that their dog died, would you tell them on their bad day? This quote means that you have to know when to say things like opinions or thoughts on someone else. Before saying what you were going to say, ask yourself whether or not this person would like what you are saying to them. Or, would they appreciate the comment? Smart people should learn to be wise and acquire social skills.
Yes, people do need to learn when to say things.
DeleteI like how you worded this. I now have a different outlook on this quote thanks to you!
DeleteI agree. I like how you said that you should ask yourself whether or not the person would like what you are saying to them.
DeleteI think that the meaning of this statement is that a knows what to say but an intelligent person knows when it is the right time say something and whether or not it would affect the person in a wrong way. A time in my life that I should have been more of an intelligent person instead of just a smart person was when my brother was mad at my parents and was having a tantrum in his room and I went in there and told him that everything doesn’t always go your way in life and it made him more angry and then I realized I should of waited till he calmed down. Everyone should try to be more intelligent.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. I expressed the same opinion in my response.I think that there is a time and place to say something of your opinion.
Delete“A smart person knows what to say, a wise person knows whether or not to say it.”
ReplyDeleteI do not know how I feel about this quote. I guess I have to agree with it. I believe everyone is smart to some degree but if you think about it, being smart and being wise are two totally different things. Being smart or intelligent is showing that you understand something. Being wise is when you know what to do or say because of trial and error, prior knowledge, or because of past mistakes. One time I was watching a TV show called CSI: New York and this lady found out that her husband has just been murdered. The investigator finds the murderer who turns out to be her daughter. They choose not to tell her this until the very end, so she could take some time to grieve and what not. (This is a fake show.) This is an example of this quote, I think.
Sometimes, people can know what to say, but not always when to say it.
I agree with this statement in many ways. First of all, wise is a more powerful vocabulary word than smart. You must socially interact with people and have common sense. One time I saw someone having a very stressful day and his mom told him some news that he did not want to hear. She told him that his fish had died. It made the situation even worse. She was not a very wise person to say that because it made his day even more stressful. A wise person would wait until the person is in a better mood to tell them the not so good news.
ReplyDeleteThat was sad that his fish died. So did mine.
DeleteI totally agree about having common sense, which it seems like nobody has anymore.
DeleteSmart people
ReplyDeleteI think that the meaning is that those who are smart may know what to say. But they may not know when to say it because they may not have experience. Then on the other hand wise people know when to say it. Because to be wise you must be a step ahead and have made mistakes and have learned from them and you must have realized that what you learned from those mistakes is what makes you wise.
But then any ways what I’m trying to say Is that because of mistakes you become wise and eventually know what to say AND when to say it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the quote because there is a difference from being smart and being intelligent. Smart people are educated, but intelligent people are educated and wise. Intelligent people use their social skills so they know when or whether to say something.
An example is when people say things in public when they shouldn’t. Like if you say a curse word in front of a little kid or an adult. First little kids shouldn’t know any curse word and if they hear someone older than them they would usually copy what they say. Second for adults they don’t like the language some people use in this generation. When they were kids there would be consequences, for us there not much anyone can do. So it’s better to be an intelligent person than a smart person.
I agree with you. Your example too because I hear grown ups talking inappropriately in front of my nephews all of the time and then they come home and ask us what the words mean. >.<
Delete