You have started reading John Steinbeck's The Pearl. Use your background knowledge about oysters and pearls to predict a possible theme of a story and explain using your own thoughts and experiences.
Oysters and Pearls A pearl begins life as an irritation inside an oyster. Suddenly the oyster makes it a pearl so it will stop irritating it. It grows and grows until it is a full pearl. It is set free when a person opens the oyster, like when a baby is born and it grows and grows until he/she is set free into the world and can do whatever he/she wishes.
Oysters and Pearls A theme I can think of with oysters and people is, not are things are beautiful on the outside, but that doesn’t matter, what matters is the inside, more or less anyway. An example of this is some people say that oysters look ugly and dirty because the way they look on the outside. All weird looking and covered in sand and other stuff, maybe some barnacles or something. Any who, whereas oysters look “ugly” on the outside, the inside (sometimes) contains a beautiful object that has magnificent value, and that shines with beauty. Most of the time anyway, sometimes the pearl may look dirty or misty. Of course on the inside there may well be the oysters muscle tissue that others say look all weird red and bulgy, and others say may a good meal. My point is though all things may not be beautiful, but that doesn’t matter, what matters is the inside.... now I want seafood.
Oysters and pearls. Probably one of the most important items in the book “The Pearl.” I think that one of the main themes for the book could be as an ocean. I say this because you find oysters and pearls in the ocean (hopefully). I’ve had experiences two with finding oyster wash up on the shore many times. At least I think they were oysters? They looked something like what is in the picture. So anyways, after hearing my whole spiel about what I think and stuff, you now know my thoughts and experiences on pearls and he book “The Pearl.”
Oysters may not be considered pretty on the outside, but the pearls that are found inside of them are. Although pearls start with just one tiny grain of sand, overtime they become beautiful. There are many life lessons that could be related to oysters and pearls, but I think that one of the most important ones is that beauty can ‘bloom’ from something that isn’t considered a thing of beauty. So, for example, something such as a plain, miniscule, boring piece of sand gets trapped inside of this raw looking, hard, grey and brown oyster. Its body, thinking that it is bad for it, knows to cover it in the shell. Over time, it gets more and more coats of shell, and as it grows bigger and bigger, it becomes more and more beautiful.
Pearls are found in clams, so I predict that Kino will go clamming and catch this huge clam. He’ll pry it open and find this gigantic pearl inside of it. Then he will show the pearl to his village and then they will spread the word. And then people will look for the pearl and try to kill Kino and his family. I would think the theme would be to be determined because they were trying to give the pearl to the doctor so coyotito would be cured.
I know little facts about oysters and pearls, but what I do know is that pearls are found inside of oysters. The pearl inside can be very valuable, and lots of people go pearl fishing to gain wealthiness off these small objects. One time I got a necklace kit that has an actual oyster inside. To make the necklace, you open up the oyster with a sharp tool and then you take out the pearl inside and put it into the necklace. It was really cool. I do know a little about how pearls are made. When in an oyster, a sand grain forms a pearl over time. Also, I feel that the theme or moral of the book The Pearl is going to be that once you become a more wealthy or successful person, to not take advantage of others or use the wealthiness in harmful or in a bad way. By this I mean using your wealth in an un-smart, un-safe, or un-responsible way.
I think this book will probably be about the ups and downs of having a pearl worth more than your whole life. This book will most likely show what happens when you find a treasure that could be the difference between being wealthy and fed, or being poor and barely scraping by. I think this book will have a life lesson that means that being wealthy and powerful is not such a good thing. For example, maybe in the book when he finds the pearl, it may bring him misery because the people in the village probably had riots to steal the pearl by force. Or maybe they would not leave him alone. OR maybe they tried to take his son or hurt his family. I have no idea what this book could come to, but I already know there is an important life lesson hidden beneath its pages.
A life lesson that has to do about oysters and pearls is that from the most unexpected places, there can be great beauty. Another lesson about oysters and pearls is that greed came overcome your morals and lead you to your demise. I think this might be the theme of The Pearl because of the mood the story has had in the first two chapters. The village is very run down but the people that live there have very cultural and diverse backgrounds that you would not expect to be there. Like the pearls you may fine in an oyster. I also think that the people who live outside of the village in the nicer homes will try to steal this great fortune from Kino and his family.
The Pearl by John Steinbeck is about a man who finds a pearl. Peals are made when something gets inside an oysters (this does not happen often because oysters clamp the shells shut with their muscles) so they are valuable. The Pearl theme is that the man gets corrupt by the power of the pearl. I do not think the pearl has real power I think it is greed that corrupts the man.
They say that oysters pearls start out as a little tiny grain of sand so I guess that a way of taking a life story out of this is to say that, even though you don’t have much and there is always a little bit of something you have to take that little bit and turn it into something beautiful. Like the saying says don’t complain about what you get because it might be all they got or that there is always someone with a lot less. Sometimes nothing at all.
Oysters and Pearls
ReplyDeleteA pearl begins life as an irritation inside an oyster. Suddenly the oyster makes it a pearl so it will stop irritating it. It grows and grows until it is a full pearl. It is set free when a person opens the oyster, like when a baby is born and it grows and grows until he/she is set free into the world and can do whatever he/she wishes.
Cool simile.
DeleteOysters and Pearls
ReplyDeleteA theme I can think of with oysters and people is, not are things are beautiful on the outside, but that doesn’t matter, what matters is the inside, more or less anyway. An example of this is some people say that oysters look ugly and dirty because the way they look on the outside. All weird looking and covered in sand and other stuff, maybe some barnacles or something. Any who, whereas oysters look “ugly” on the outside, the inside (sometimes) contains a beautiful object that has magnificent value, and that shines with beauty. Most of the time anyway, sometimes the pearl may look dirty or misty. Of course on the inside there may well be the oysters muscle tissue that others say look all weird red and bulgy, and others say may a good meal. My point is though all things may not be beautiful, but that doesn’t matter, what matters is the inside.... now I want seafood.
ReplyDeleteOysters and pearls. Probably one of the most important items in the book “The Pearl.”
I think that one of the main themes for the book could be as an ocean. I say this because you find oysters and pearls in the ocean (hopefully). I’ve had experiences two with finding oyster wash up on the shore many times. At least I think they were oysters? They looked something like what is in the picture. So anyways, after hearing my whole spiel about what I think and stuff, you now know my thoughts and experiences on pearls and he book “The Pearl.”
Jason, remember that a theme in literature is a lesson about life.
DeleteOysters may not be considered pretty on the outside, but the pearls that are found inside of them are. Although pearls start with just one tiny grain of sand, overtime they become beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThere are many life lessons that could be related to oysters and pearls, but I think that one of the most important ones is that beauty can ‘bloom’ from something that isn’t considered a thing of beauty. So, for example, something such as a plain, miniscule, boring piece of sand gets trapped inside of this raw looking, hard, grey and brown oyster. Its body, thinking that it is bad for it, knows to cover it in the shell. Over time, it gets more and more coats of shell, and as it grows bigger and bigger, it becomes more and more beautiful.
Very true. (:
DeleteVery heart felt my friend.
DeletePearls are found in clams, so I predict that Kino will go clamming and catch this huge clam. He’ll pry it open and find this gigantic pearl inside of it. Then he will show the pearl to his village and then they will spread the word. And then people will look for the pearl and try to kill Kino and his family. I would think the theme would be to be determined because they were trying to give the pearl to the doctor so coyotito would be cured.
ReplyDeleteI know little facts about oysters and pearls, but what I do know is that pearls are found inside of oysters. The pearl inside can be very valuable, and lots of people go pearl fishing to gain wealthiness off these small objects. One time I got a necklace kit that has an actual oyster inside. To make the necklace, you open up the oyster with a sharp tool and then you take out the pearl inside and put it into the necklace. It was really cool. I do know a little about how pearls are made. When in an oyster, a sand grain forms a pearl over time. Also, I feel that the theme or moral of the book The Pearl is going to be that once you become a more wealthy or successful person, to not take advantage of others or use the wealthiness in harmful or in a bad way. By this I mean using your wealth in an un-smart, un-safe, or un-responsible way.
ReplyDeleteNice experience, Carly.
DeleteI think this book will probably be about the ups and downs of having a pearl worth more than your whole life. This book will most likely show what happens when you find a treasure that could be the difference between being wealthy and fed, or being poor and barely scraping by.
ReplyDeleteI think this book will have a life lesson that means that being wealthy and powerful is not such a good thing. For example, maybe in the book when he finds the pearl, it may bring him misery because the people in the village probably had riots to steal the pearl by force. Or maybe they would not leave him alone. OR maybe they tried to take his son or hurt his family.
I have no idea what this book could come to, but I already know there is an important life lesson hidden beneath its pages.
A life lesson that has to do about oysters and pearls is that from the most unexpected places, there can be great beauty. Another lesson about oysters and pearls is that greed came overcome your morals and lead you to your demise. I think this might be the theme of The Pearl because of the mood the story has had in the first two chapters. The village is very run down but the people that live there have very cultural and diverse backgrounds that you would not expect to be there. Like the pearls you may fine in an oyster. I also think that the people who live outside of the village in the nicer homes will try to steal this great fortune from Kino and his family.
ReplyDeleteThe Pearl by John Steinbeck is about a man who finds a pearl. Peals are made when something gets inside an oysters (this does not happen often because oysters clamp the shells shut with their muscles) so they are valuable. The Pearl theme is that the man gets corrupt by the power of the pearl. I do not think the pearl has real power I think it is greed that corrupts the man.
ReplyDeleteThey say that oysters pearls start out as a little tiny grain of sand so I guess that a way of taking a life story out of this is to say that, even though you don’t have much and there is always a little bit of something you have to take that little bit and turn it into something beautiful. Like the saying says don’t complain about what you get because it might be all they got or that there is always someone with a lot less. Sometimes nothing at all.
ReplyDelete