Write about a time that either you have experienced, a character in a book has experienced, or people in history have experienced the meaning of today's quote.
People in history have experienced many different big chaotic changes in history, but one great change was 9/11. This was so bad to the whole government and our economics, because the to most important buildings in new York and the pentagon where basically bombed by having a plane hit each of the twin towers in New York and a plane crashed into one of the most important section of the Pentagon. This day will always be remembered for many years. The preceded action after 9/11 happened was so many different restrictions and cautions. For example, now when you go to an airport to go fly to a different place your luggage is thoroughly checked and your clothes. They do this to make sure you have no kind of weapons or explosives with you to insure that something like this will never happen again. Lastly, terrorists is a big issue today ever since this happened. These kind of things help us learn our mistakes or security and precautions.
All Great Changes… I believe this quote is true, an example of this would be of Martin Luther King Jr. He made a great change in American history by getting equal rights and freedoms for black people throughout the country, and he used no chaos, he used peaceful methods to get what he wanted, such as holding marches and contacting the government for permission to go on live television for his famous “I have dream” speech. Unfortunatly, chaos did happen before him to lead to that change, an example of that would be the civil war. The northern part of the east coast fought the southern part in the bloodiest war of all American history. The battle was being held in an issue to free slaves and make it illegal to own anymore. Of course the northern part won, because we have no slaves right now, but if the southern part won, would Martin Luther King Jr. Still have been able to give his speech? Would he still even be alive? Also the civil war wasn’t the only thing leading to Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech, but various other things such as the way the whites treated the blacks, which could also count as a bit of chaos because some took it to extreme levels which lead to illegal motives. So basically the point is I agree with this quote and those were the examples I gave to show.
Probably the most influential event in the shaping of our nation was the Declaration of Independence. This was a great change for us, but in order to get to it we had to fight a long war. Not only did we fight against Britain, but we fought amongst ourselves- people who supported Britain against people who did not. Now we are our own nation, but we had to fight to get there. There was a lot of chaos surrounding our independence. I think this quote is saying that even though something might look pretty grim, there is always something to look forward to at the end.
It was good when you said not only did we fight Britain, but we fought amongst ourselves, but I don't agree with you that the Declaration of Indapendence. You could have given examples of more important events, like the Civil war, or 9/11
I agree with this statement based on previous experiences. When my family was working on our basement, there was a lot of running around and chaos. This continued for a while, and then we had completed it. It was the great change that came after all the craziness. Another example of this statement is the American civil war. During the war there was a lot of fighting. But afterwards America was formed. This statement is interesting because no changes can occur without some chaos.
I like the example about your basement because it shows a great way of change with chaos. Also, this is very intresting about how the occur of change happened with the civil war with no chaos.
I understand this quote simply because of one thing, chaos. Chaos provided many changes in history, for example, 9/11 was when the twin towers had fell, and it then caused our war against terrorists, which then caused the death of Osama Bin Laden. Another example is when Syria used chemical weapons, we almost went to war but thankfully Russia stepped in and made Syria sign the treaty against chemical weapons, Changing Syria. In some other words, some form of chaos is all it takes to make big changes.
Thomas, I never thought about it this way, but I agree. We, as humans, don't like to live in a state of chaos. In response to chaos it is natural that we would make changes in order to restore stability to our lives.
I totaly agree it does take some chaos to to make a big change "sacrifice is needed do anything" but the world is always going to chaos so there will always be change.
I definitely agree with this quote. Just this year I changed schools. One of the reasons I changed was because things at my old school were getting to be too chaotic, and then when I did change schools it was a pretty big change for me because right now school is where I spend most of my time. I think that it’s the chaos that really sets the change in motion. When there is chaos you want to correct it and make things less hectic so that’s when the great change happens. It’s not always a big change but even if the change seems small to you, for another person it could be huge it just depends on your perspective. If I were an adult then I might think that changing schools isn’t that big of a deal. But to other students it could be pretty big.
I agree. There are many things that adults do not think is a big deal, but make a huge difference in the life of a child. An adult may not think that changing schools is a big deal, but changing jobs is. The two would be similar in my mind.
I think that your example was a good one. A few years ago I had to change schools and move here to Damascus because my old school was too hectic and full of crazy people also.
This quote is seen from books to real life. In the book, Ender’s Game, Ender is a nine year old boy who is selected by the IF to be a soldier. Throughout the book they are training to fight aliens or “Buggers”. They goal is to destroy them and stop them from invading. However, the humans do not try to negotiate and they end up fighting a monumental war. The quote is also true in real life. For example, World War II was fought over many reasons but the main one was to cause a change in Germany. The starting of the United States is also an example of the quote. People tried to represent themselves in the British parliament but that didn’t work resulting in a revolution. The Emancipation Proclamation, which abolished slavery, also required much chaos. Changes now to end terrorist organizations in the world has required a colossal amount of chaos. The quote is not a fallacy but is also almost a rule. Chaos occurs almost every time there is change no matter what the situation.
Mrs. Walker has talked about this book for years, and it always sounds like something that I wouldn't be interested in. I think that I might give it a try...funny how movies can be such motivating factors!
I excused your last reflection assignment since I know you repeatedly posted it, but it never showed up. No worries!
I definetly agree with your example of when you talked about World War 2 because I also mentioned a war in my example. You stated "World War 2 was fought to cause a change." That is almost exact to what I said. All wars are caused because someone wants a change.
Your example on how World War 2 was a very good one, though you could've used another one. After all, all wars are started for change, for either better or worse.
“All Great Changes…” This is sometimes true, but not always. An example would be war. There have been some wars where afterwards the government changes, whether it is in a good way or a bad way. Like, how we have stopped slavery, and also racism isn’t as common as it was before. Another example is 9/11. After the terrorist attack, security was strengthened. Now, when you go to an airport there’s a lot more security than there was before the terrorist attack. I guess that strengthened security is a great change. But like I said, this quote is only partially true. For the people that had a family member or friend that died because of what happened in 9/11, it’s not a “great” change at all. And it’s not just in real life, this quote connects to some books I’ve read too. Like how in some books, something bad happens, and the character dies, but that’s not exactly a great change either.
I like how you pointed out that not all chaos with be preceded by great changes, and how some changes will not be good. This does indeed happen in many stories.
All Great Changes… `“All great changes are proceeded by chaos” This quote I have plenty of experience with. The Civil War for example, there was huge chaos people killing each other left and right, but it lead to a great change. Slavery was banned and everyone had equal rights. Another example when I was in football my dad would always yell at me about stuff I didn’t do right, then the next play I would do all the stuff right and get the tackle. Also in this book I read this guy sacrificed himself to save his buddy and save the Intel they gathered. This is the experience I had with this quote.
In the US history there are many changes. These changes were caused by the chaos that leads up to it. For example, when 9-11 happened the United States got more security and they were more careful with everything they did. Another example of chaos before change is the Revolutionary War. The colonists started to get angry, and eventually started to show their feelings about how they think about the relationship between Britain and the colonies has been. They started to attack the tax collectors, then moved on to bigger things like the Boston Tea Party. Soon after that the war started between Britain and the colonies, which lead to America getting its freedom. One other example is not very specific, but it can apply in many different situations. Usually when there is violence, there is a change that follows it, just like almost every war.
I really agree with the part where you said, "Usually when there is violence, there is change that follows it, just like almost every war." because it really sums up the whole idea of the chaos of war and then what changes. You also had great examples of different events and wars, and what change occured after the chaos. Great job!
I like how you tied in the example of the Revolutionary War. It's good that you brought examples from History class such as the Boston Tea Party. I think that it's interesting how things we learned can be interchanged throughout our classes.
A time when people in history have experienced the meaning of today’s quote was when the 13 Colonies were being over taxed by Britain. This forced rebellion and started a civil war in which the colonies won their freedom and became their own nation. Now, what started as the 13 Colonies, became the United States of America. Even though there was chaos with the war, there was great change as the United States of America became one of the most powerful countries in the world.
I like how you included what we are learning in World Studies in your explanation of the quote. It helped me further understand the meaning of this quote.
I mentioned the Civil War in my post also. I agree because the colonies wanted a change. You stated that the colonies wanted to become free and independent from Britain. War is all about change.
This quote reminds me of a lot of books, manly post-apocalyptic themed books like “hunger games” where the world “ends as we know it” and a “better (corrupted) world” replaces it. I know that the “better world” is not really better but it is a great change and the quote does not say it has to be a change for the better. This also reminds me of real life things like the war to get freedom from England, there was war the chaos and then we won and became America the great change.
I agree with you Pierce (For once), it never does say that change is for better or worse, it mostly says that it's just change. In the hearts of people though, they want to believe that change is for the better, or they don't want anything tp change at all, in the end everything depends on the hearts of the people.
Chaos precedes Now what I think this quote means is that before every great change there is always a problem. So like before I do my homework the chaos is the chores, or playing outside, or watching TV. But a better example is how just before Martin Luther king was a black rights speaker Rosa parks was getting thrown off buses for sitting in the front and people were drinking from the wrong fountain, but then Martin Luther king stepped up and said that they needed to work inside the system. And then they started to do peaceful protests and eventually because of Martin Luther King they made a change. So I would have to agree that all great changes are preceded by chaos
Dakota, please make sure that you edit before posting. You should check your capitalization and be careful when starting your sentences with conjunctions like "and" and "so". You tend to create fragments when you do so.
In the Civil War there was a great change. The North won the war and the result was, that there were no more slaves. The war was huge chaos but it lead to a very positive outcome. Usually wars are because of a disagreement or there needing to be a change, but there is always a solution. That’s what happened in the Civil War. More people were able to become free. The quote “All great changes are preceded by chaos” definitely matches the Civil War. This can also relate to other wars and even things today that happen in our everyday lives.
I like this because it display the cause and effect of hte civil war. In my response, I show how more recent events have the same effect as your Civil War example.
This quote “All great changes are preceded by chaos,” means even if something chaotic happens there could be a great change after it. For example if a school was destroyed in a natural disaster, they would have to build a new school for the staff to work in and the students to get education in. This chaotic disaster could have caused the school to be built safer and bigger for the sake of the students and staff. It could also have better things in the building like better bathrooms and rooms where the students and staff are safe from any natural disasters. After any chaotic disaster there could be great things ahead for people, animals, and Mother Nature itself.
I agree, Stephanie, good job! I liked your example, when you said, if a school was destroyed in a natural disaster, they would have to build a new school for the staff to work in and the students to get education in.
Never thought of that, When the school get destroyed by the natural disaster, they rebulid it and prevent the natural disaster from destroying the school again
I’m not sure if I really get this quote or not. I think that this quote means that a change has to have a reason to change. Like in Kenya this week, a mall was terrorized by a terrorist group (this is the chaos) and officials say that the mall will receive new security measures installed (the change). I think this scenario demonstrates the quote because the enhanced security is a change as a result of the terrorist attack or the chaos. Also, another example of this quote is the 9/11 attack. The terrorists attacked and now we advanced airport security and precautions to prevent this from ever happening again. Now, after writing this, I think I finally understand this quote.
Way to go with incorporating current events into your response. Wasn't that a horribly tragic event in Kenya?!?! That is a perfect example of a chaotic event that will surely invoke changes in public venues all over the world.
At first I did not understand the quote, but then after reading this is I did. I think that this was a good example because by using Kenya as an example it lets more people understand the quote because people can understand more recent events better than older events like the Civil War.
I feel you have to be really educated to write something like this. I like how you used two examples of terrorism. It's kind of basic using the same circumstance for everything. and also I like you came right out and said you didn't understand.
I have lived this quote so many times in my 35 years. I have experienced this personally and historically. From leaving for college, to getting married, to moving, to having children, and moving again, my personal life has been filled with chaos and great change. These big moments in life always seem stressful and chaotic while one is planning for them or going through them. When these big moments are compounded with a historical event, even more chaos and change ensues. I was married on September 15, 2011…four days after the September 11th attacks on our country. If you know anything about planning a wedding, you know the stress and chaos that comes with it. Though you know you are planning for a blissful, wonderful day, there is pressure to make everything just perfect. You only have this great day once in your life! When September 11th occurred four days before my planned wedding, the stress and chaos seemed to double, maybe even triple. Would we still have the wedding? Would family from New York, Chicago, and Minneapolis be able to get here for the wedding? Would the vendors still be available after this national tragedy? The changes in our country, my marriage, and my outlook on life were greatly changed during that week. On the day of my wedding there were several family members that could not get flights into the D.C. region. The most memorable event that most of my guests hold onto of our special wedding day was that we were all together. Our world was different, my life was going to be different, things had changed, and we celebrated! The feeling of having all my close friends and family together with me after such a tragic week made the day special for everyone. We ended the evening with “Proud to Be an American” and began our new lives as a married couple in a post-9/11 world.
I love this, and the wedding is a great example but "you only experince this once in your life", well this is not true because many people get remarreid and feel that love again :)
It is true that some people get remarried, but I think when you are getting married you do not enter your marriage with the intention of ever getting married again, so you plan your wedding day with the thought that this will be the only time that you experience your own wedding.
This is great, the story started out kind of sad but it ended up happy. This does explain the quote really well because it has a current event for the example.
I think that your example goes along really well with this quote. My oldest sister recently got married and my house was a chaotic mess. After the wedding my house was calm again and my family had grown.
I totally agree with this quote and have experienced it many times. Many of these experiences have been with gymnastics. While you’re learning a new skill, you can hurt yourself by not following the skill all the way through or by not knowing how to come out of it safely. I know many people who have broken bones or gotten concussions by doing this. I have broken my fingers several times by grabbing the bar the wrong way and have had to wait for them to heal before I could continue doing anything. After the bones are all healed, one of the first thing the coaches make us do is the skill we got hurt on. They say we have learned our lesson after getting hurt so we now know how to avoid it. They, as usual, are right. We almost always get the skill afterwards.
I really like this because I feel gymnastics is extremely relatable in this context. This opened my mind to the sport and the quote, I used worse examples, and now I understand it better because it is more clear.
I like how you took gymnastics, an actual part of your life, and twisted it into the quote. Great example because this shows that you actually experinced it!
"All great changes are preceded by chaos." I think this quote means that there has to be a problem in order for something to be resolved. I am currently experiencing something like this. If you are so stressed out about English that you can't sleep and you come home crying every day, and you get a schedule change, and you are happy about the schedule change, a great change was preceded by chaos. In other words, you were struggling and stressed out, and because of it, you got a schedule change and now you are happy because you are free of stress. Therefore, this quote has a ring of truth to it.
Victoria, I'm sorry that this class causes you such stress. I know that you are capable of tackling all the challenges presented in the class, but I definitely don't want it to upset you.
Most people have their own opinion on this quote. Some agree, agreeing that a difficult time leads to a road of success, but some may disagree. If you think about it, this quote is very true. Think of your favorite celebrity. Maybe they are an actress, a singer, a poet, etc. Think about all the trouble they went through to get where they are now. From a declined movie audition to beating stage fright, there could be a number of things that held these people back at one point. If you really take time to think, it’s just the same for any ordinary person. At one point in everyone’s life, they face a challenge or go through a crazy time that leads them to the person they are now. Most changes people go through are good ones in the end, no matter what kind of person they used to be. So, when I think of this quote, I think about how everyone goes through a tough time in their lives, which in the end, turn around and create a great change.
I really like this. You decribed chaos in this case very well. I like the way you used someone's favorite celebrity to desribe how someone is on that climb to reach what they want.
One example of this quote, in the not so distant past, is the Civil Rights Movement. Towards the middle of the 1900’s, African American citizens of the United States were tired of being treated like they were not as important as the white population. Everything was segregated, including water fountains, bathrooms, and even parks. So, they acted out. There were some peaceful protests, but there were also many violent acts against both the blacks and the whites. Many African Americans were hung, shot, and brutally murdered. However, following all these cruel and malicious acts, the African Americans were granted rights. Though things were not completely equal, there were laws passed against segregation. Finally, they were able to do things like vote and share public areas. So yes, I agree with the statement that all great changes are preceded by chaos.
I really like this example! I don't know much about the Civil Rights Movement, so through reading this I learned something new and I got the quote better explained to me.
I agree. That's a good example, how there was a great change after all the violent things that happened, which was that the African Americans were granted rights.
I think that this was a great example, which sort of sums up the idea of this quote. Most change is right after chaos, which I think is mostly just violence, like any war that has ever happened.
Changes are preceded by chaos This quote is saying that before a big revolution happens or some other major event, there is chaos. Like before many civil rights changes, there is a protest or a revolution. People fight for their right, then it will change, but people don’t just waltz into congress and say, “hey guys can I get this, this, and this changed from how America has been doing it for 200 years, thanks.” That doesn’t just happen, there is chaos!
“All great changes are preceded from chaos.” Well, I’m not really sure that I understand this quote. I know it is saying in order to completely change something, there must be a bunch of chaos. So I guess that I understand. For example, say that you wanted to change the way your political system in your society worked. You would cause complete and total chaos! This would be a huge event and in order to make this great change. So yes, all great changes are preceded from chaos.
Colleen, I really like how you put this the way you did. Even though you did not understand the quote, you still put an example of how you can change a political system.
I agree, Colleen. I liked your example when you said, say that you wanted to change the way your political system in your society worked. You would cause complete and total chaos! This is very true when creating a new system.
All great changes are preceded by chaos What I think about this quote is that all changes aren’t easy. To change something or someone or just change in general is going to cause some chaos, for example when my mom told me that I was moving with my dad as soon as school ended it was a lot of things that I had to go through and do like I only had about 3 weeks to get all of my things together I lost things I found things and it was just all of this chaos going on around me it was stressful and irritating but afterwards I guess it got better. Another example is last summer my mom and the family we all took a trip to the outer banks NC also known as OBX and we got someone to watch are dog cause he hates it when we leave especially when he is home by himself so while we were gone the dog sitter left after she feed him and all then about an hour or two she came back and he wasn’t there he had torn the couches up and jumped out of my brothers window and when we got home we had to buy new couches and get my brother a new window and what we learned in the process never leave that dog in the house by himself he will go out of his mind so now whenever we go on vacations we always take the dog over to my aunt’s house or we take him to my friend’s house so that never happens again but as you know everything happens for a reason my dog doing what he did caused my mom to get the house redone just all together so now we have a new and improved house so those are my examples of great changes caused by chaos.
Your dog was very amusing in this story because of how he wrecked your house in a matter of hours. The story well explains how the statement "All great changes are preceded by chaos".
I believe this quote is true. There are many examples of the quote everywhere. One example is 9/11. After the terrorist attacks, America became stronger and had more protection. The Civil War is another example. The Confederates (South- for slavery) and the Unionists (North- against slavery) fought against each other for the freedom of slaves. Abraham Lincoln led the Union side and after the war, he ordered that all slaves be released from the South. So in the end, America had freed the slaves. This brought together the countries. This quote means that if something terrible happens, something good will most likely come out of it. One time, my sister and I were racing and I tripped on the sidewalk. I face-planted into the cement and my face was totally bloody and ripped apart because I landed so hard. I had to go to school with SpongeBob or Barbie band aids completely covering my face. I still have scars on my face, elbows, and knees. Even though I was made fun of, after I recovered I had a lot more confidence. This is a quote that I think everyone should live by because it happens every day.
Chaos and Change My experience with this quote is in one of my short stories, about a group of friends in a boarding school that found out about a scandal. They found out that a teacher was laundering money, and they, at first, didn’t think anything of it. Although they realized they should’ve spoken up, after the school went up in chaos, when they discovered the bank account empty. They went all around interviewing teachers and students, but found nothing. After a week of that, the friends got together and decided to do the right thing and report it. Then after that, the school established a system of banking, and everything was fixed. That isn’t the only thing that has sprung into my mind. The other instance was in real life, with the Sandy Hook tragedy. :( After that horrible, chaotic event, they started to change security in schools. They added other security officials, and started arming and training teachers. I feel that is a great change, but I also feel as though that whole tragedy could’ve been avoided as well.
I agree about the Sandy Hook shooting. It really awakened people about gun laws because before nobody was actually doing anything about it, they were just complaining a lot. Now we have tightened gun laws and I think something good has come out of it.
All Great Changes The people in America have experienced this quote in Oklahoma after the tornados that struck them. They realized that they need more underground shelters to go into for safety. Not a lot of the schools had them and now a lot of them do have them now that they realized how critical they are and how they can save a lot of lives. They realized that there wouldn’t be as many deaths or injuries if they would have had these shelters. Although the tornados were chaotic and awful, and they created a great change that will benefit a lot of people.
I really lke the examples you gave!! The Sandy Hook tragedy was devastating, and they way you talk about being more cautious with safety, was very good to add. By the way, what story is that? It sounds really interesting.
ReplyDeletePeople in history have experienced many different big chaotic changes in history, but one great change was 9/11. This was so bad to the whole government and our economics, because the to most important buildings in new York and the pentagon where basically bombed by having a plane hit each of the twin towers in New York and a plane crashed into one of the most important section of the Pentagon. This day will always be remembered for many years. The preceded action after 9/11 happened was so many different restrictions and cautions. For example, now when you go to an airport to go fly to a different place your luggage is thoroughly checked and your clothes. They do this to make sure you have no kind of weapons or explosives with you to insure that something like this will never happen again. Lastly, terrorists is a big issue today ever since this happened. These kind of things help us learn our mistakes or security and precautions.
Using 9/11 was a good choice because it was a very chaotic and tragic. Also good things did happen after 9/11. Our world got safer.
DeleteAll Great Changes…
ReplyDeleteI believe this quote is true, an example of this would be of Martin Luther King Jr.
He made a great change in American history by getting equal rights and freedoms for black people throughout the country, and he used no chaos, he used peaceful methods to get what he wanted, such as holding marches and contacting the government for permission to go on live television for his famous “I have dream” speech. Unfortunatly, chaos did happen before him to lead to that change, an example of that would be the civil war. The northern part of the east coast fought the southern part in the bloodiest war of all American history. The battle was being held in an issue to free slaves and make it illegal to own anymore. Of course the northern part won, because we have no slaves right now, but if the southern part won, would Martin Luther King Jr. Still have been able to give his speech? Would he still even be alive? Also the civil war wasn’t the only thing leading to Martin Luther King Jr.’s speech, but various other things such as the way the whites treated the blacks, which could also count as a bit of chaos because some took it to extreme levels which lead to illegal motives. So basically the point is I agree with this quote and those were the examples I gave to show.
I really liked that you used the Civil Rights Movement as an example. It created many good things and the movement created a lot of chaos.
DeleteProbably the most influential event in the shaping of our nation was the Declaration of Independence. This was a great change for us, but in order to get to it we had to fight a long war. Not only did we fight against Britain, but we fought amongst ourselves- people who supported Britain against people who did not. Now we are our own nation, but we had to fight to get there. There was a lot of chaos surrounding our independence. I think this quote is saying that even though something might look pretty grim, there is always something to look forward to at the end.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good example, and it shows how after the long war, there was a great change. In this case, it's our independence.
DeleteIt was good when you said not only did we fight Britain, but we fought amongst ourselves, but I don't agree with you that the Declaration of Indapendence. You could have given examples of more important events, like the Civil war, or 9/11
Delete“All great changes are preceded by chaos”
ReplyDeleteI agree with this statement based on previous experiences. When my family was working on our basement, there was a lot of running around and chaos. This continued for a while, and then we had completed it. It was the great change that came after all the craziness. Another example of this statement is the American civil war. During the war there was a lot of fighting. But afterwards America was formed. This statement is interesting because no changes can occur without some chaos.
I like the example about your basement because it shows a great way of change with chaos. Also, this is very intresting about how the occur of change happened with the civil war with no chaos.
DeleteI understand this quote simply because of one thing, chaos. Chaos provided many changes in history, for example, 9/11 was when the twin towers had fell, and it then caused our war against terrorists, which then caused the death of Osama Bin Laden. Another example is when Syria used chemical weapons, we almost went to war but thankfully Russia stepped in and made Syria sign the treaty against chemical weapons, Changing Syria. In some other words, some form of chaos is all it takes to make big changes.
ReplyDeleteThomas, I never thought about it this way, but I agree. We, as humans, don't like to live in a state of chaos. In response to chaos it is natural that we would make changes in order to restore stability to our lives.
DeleteI totaly agree it does take some chaos to to make a big change "sacrifice is needed do anything" but the world is always going to chaos so there will always be change.
DeleteI definitely agree with this quote. Just this year I changed schools. One of the reasons I changed was because things at my old school were getting to be too chaotic, and then when I did change schools it was a pretty big change for me because right now school is where I spend most of my time. I think that it’s the chaos that really sets the change in motion. When there is chaos you want to correct it and make things less hectic so that’s when the great change happens. It’s not always a big change but even if the change seems small to you, for another person it could be huge it just depends on your perspective. If I were an adult then I might think that changing schools isn’t that big of a deal. But to other students it could be pretty big.
ReplyDeleteI agree. There are many things that adults do not think is a big deal, but make a huge difference in the life of a child. An adult may not think that changing schools is a big deal, but changing jobs is. The two would be similar in my mind.
DeleteI think that your example was a good one. A few years ago I had to change schools and move here to Damascus because my old school was too hectic and full of crazy people also.
DeleteThis quote is seen from books to real life. In the book, Ender’s Game, Ender is a nine year old boy who is selected by the IF to be a soldier. Throughout the book they are training to fight aliens or “Buggers”. They goal is to destroy them and stop them from invading. However, the humans do not try to negotiate and they end up fighting a monumental war. The quote is also true in real life. For example, World War II was fought over many reasons but the main one was to cause a change in Germany. The starting of the United States is also an example of the quote. People tried to represent themselves in the British parliament but that didn’t work resulting in a revolution. The Emancipation Proclamation, which abolished slavery, also required much chaos. Changes now to end terrorist organizations in the world has required a colossal amount of chaos. The quote is not a fallacy but is also almost a rule. Chaos occurs almost every time there is change no matter what the situation.
ReplyDeleteMrs. Walker has talked about this book for years, and it always sounds like something that I wouldn't be interested in. I think that I might give it a try...funny how movies can be such motivating factors!
DeleteI excused your last reflection assignment since I know you repeatedly posted it, but it never showed up. No worries!
I definetly agree with your example of when you talked about World War 2 because I also mentioned a war in my example. You stated "World War 2 was fought to cause a change." That is almost exact to what I said. All wars are caused because someone wants a change.
DeleteYour example on how World War 2 was a very good one, though you could've used another one. After all, all wars are started for change, for either better or worse.
DeleteGreat job, way to use the Enders game to get your point acrossed. Made me agree with you.
Delete“All Great Changes…”
ReplyDeleteThis is sometimes true, but not always. An example would be war. There have been some wars where afterwards the government changes, whether it is in a good way or a bad way. Like, how we have stopped slavery, and also racism isn’t as common as it was before. Another example is 9/11. After the terrorist attack, security was strengthened. Now, when you go to an airport there’s a lot more security than there was before the terrorist attack. I guess that strengthened security is a great change. But like I said, this quote is only partially true. For the people that had a family member or friend that died because of what happened in 9/11, it’s not a “great” change at all. And it’s not just in real life, this quote connects to some books I’ve read too. Like how in some books, something bad happens, and the character dies, but that’s not exactly a great change either.
I like how you pointed out that not all chaos with be preceded by great changes, and how some changes will not be good. This does indeed happen in many stories.
DeleteI really liked how you explained how the quote was only sometimes true. I had not thought of this quote being good and bad at the same time.
DeleteAll Great Changes…
ReplyDelete`“All great changes are proceeded by chaos” This quote I have plenty of experience with. The Civil War for example, there was huge chaos people killing each other left and right, but it lead to a great change. Slavery was banned and everyone had equal rights. Another example when I was in football my dad would always yell at me about stuff I didn’t do right, then the next play I would do all the stuff right and get the tackle. Also in this book I read this guy sacrificed himself to save his buddy and save the Intel they gathered. This is the experience I had with this quote.
"Stuff"?!?!?!??!?!?!??!!?
DeleteGage I agree the civil war had a lot of chaos and it did have a lot of change. Thanks for the good coment.
DeleteAll Great Changes
ReplyDeleteIn the US history there are many changes. These changes were caused by the chaos that leads up to it. For example, when 9-11 happened the United States got more security and they were more careful with everything they did. Another example of chaos before change is the Revolutionary War. The colonists started to get angry, and eventually started to show their feelings about how they think about the relationship between Britain and the colonies has been. They started to attack the tax collectors, then moved on to bigger things like the Boston Tea Party. Soon after that the war started between Britain and the colonies, which lead to America getting its freedom. One other example is not very specific, but it can apply in many different situations. Usually when there is violence, there is a change that follows it, just like almost every war.
I really agree with the part where you said, "Usually when there is violence, there is change that follows it, just like almost every war." because it really sums up the whole idea of the chaos of war and then what changes. You also had great examples of different events and wars, and what change occured after the chaos. Great job!
DeleteWell put Kevin, you stated the facts really well. The 9-11 section though, it needed more detail.
DeleteI like how you tied in the example of the Revolutionary War. It's good that you brought examples from History class such as the Boston Tea Party. I think that it's interesting how things we learned can be interchanged throughout our classes.
DeleteA time when people in history have experienced the meaning of today’s quote was when the 13 Colonies were being over taxed by Britain. This forced rebellion and started a civil war in which the colonies won their freedom and became their own nation. Now, what started as the 13 Colonies, became the United States of America. Even though there was chaos with the war, there was great change as the United States of America became one of the most powerful countries in the world.
ReplyDeleteI like the rebellion theme you have to show the risks we took to secure our country's freedom as an effect of the outragous taxing.
DeleteI like how you included what we are learning in World Studies in your explanation of the quote. It helped me further understand the meaning of this quote.
DeleteI mentioned the Civil War in my post also. I agree because the colonies wanted a change. You stated that the colonies wanted to become free and independent from Britain. War is all about change.
DeleteThis quote reminds me of a lot of books, manly post-apocalyptic themed books like “hunger games” where the world “ends as we know it” and a “better (corrupted) world” replaces it. I know that the “better world” is not really better but it is a great change and the quote does not say it has to be a change for the better. This also reminds me of real life things like the war to get freedom from England, there was war the chaos and then we won and became America the great change.
ReplyDeletePierce, these are all great examples, but I wish you would elaborate on some of them a little more to explain the chaos and the change.
DeleteI agree with you Pierce (For once), it never does say that change is for better or worse, it mostly says that it's just change. In the hearts of people though, they want to believe that change is for the better, or they don't want anything tp change at all, in the end everything depends on the hearts of the people.
DeleteChaos precedes
ReplyDeleteNow what I think this quote means is that before every great change there is always a problem.
So like before I do my homework the chaos is the chores, or playing outside, or watching TV.
But a better example is how just before Martin Luther king was a black rights speaker Rosa parks was getting thrown off buses for sitting in the front and people were drinking from the wrong fountain, but then Martin Luther king stepped up and said that they needed to work inside the system. And then they started to do peaceful protests and eventually because of Martin Luther King they made a change. So I would have to agree that all great changes are preceded by chaos
Dakota, please make sure that you edit before posting. You should check your capitalization and be careful when starting your sentences with conjunctions like "and" and "so". You tend to create fragments when you do so.
DeleteIn the Civil War there was a great change. The North won the war and the result was, that there were no more slaves. The war was huge chaos but it lead to a very positive outcome. Usually wars are because of a disagreement or there needing to be a change, but there is always a solution. That’s what happened in the Civil War. More people were able to become free. The quote “All great changes are preceded by chaos” definitely matches the Civil War. This can also relate to other wars and even things today that happen in our everyday lives.
ReplyDeleteI like this because it display the cause and effect of hte civil war. In my response, I show how more recent events have the same effect as your Civil War example.
DeleteI also mentioned war in my response. In my response I also talked about wars create huge change but great chaos precedes it.
DeleteThis quote “All great changes are preceded by chaos,” means even if something chaotic happens there could be a great change after it. For example if a school was destroyed in a natural disaster, they would have to build a new school for the staff to work in and the students to get education in. This chaotic disaster could have caused the school to be built safer and bigger for the sake of the students and staff. It could also have better things in the building like better bathrooms and rooms where the students and staff are safe from any natural disasters. After any chaotic disaster there could be great things ahead for people, animals, and Mother Nature itself.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Stephanie, good job! I liked your example, when you said, if a school was destroyed in a natural disaster, they would have to build a new school for the staff to work in and the students to get education in.
DeleteNever thought of that, When the school get destroyed by the natural disaster, they rebulid it and prevent the natural disaster from destroying the school again
DeleteI’m not sure if I really get this quote or not. I think that this quote means that a change has to have a reason to change. Like in Kenya this week, a mall was terrorized by a terrorist group (this is the chaos) and officials say that the mall will receive new security measures installed (the change). I think this scenario demonstrates the quote because the enhanced security is a change as a result of the terrorist attack or the chaos. Also, another example of this quote is the 9/11 attack. The terrorists attacked and now we advanced airport security and precautions to prevent this from ever happening again. Now, after writing this, I think I finally understand this quote.
ReplyDeleteWay to go with incorporating current events into your response. Wasn't that a horribly tragic event in Kenya?!?! That is a perfect example of a chaotic event that will surely invoke changes in public venues all over the world.
DeleteAt first I did not understand the quote, but then after reading this is I did. I think that this was a good example because by using Kenya as an example it lets more people understand the quote because people can understand more recent events better than older events like the Civil War.
DeleteI feel you have to be really educated to write something like this. I like how you used two examples of terrorism. It's kind of basic using the same circumstance for everything. and also I like you came right out and said you didn't understand.
DeleteI have lived this quote so many times in my 35 years. I have experienced this personally and historically. From leaving for college, to getting married, to moving, to having children, and moving again, my personal life has been filled with chaos and great change. These big moments in life always seem stressful and chaotic while one is planning for them or going through them. When these big moments are compounded with a historical event, even more chaos and change ensues.
ReplyDeleteI was married on September 15, 2011…four days after the September 11th attacks on our country. If you know anything about planning a wedding, you know the stress and chaos that comes with it. Though you know you are planning for a blissful, wonderful day, there is pressure to make everything just perfect. You only have this great day once in your life! When September 11th occurred four days before my planned wedding, the stress and chaos seemed to double, maybe even triple. Would we still have the wedding? Would family from New York, Chicago, and Minneapolis be able to get here for the wedding? Would the vendors still be available after this national tragedy?
The changes in our country, my marriage, and my outlook on life were greatly changed during that week. On the day of my wedding there were several family members that could not get flights into the D.C. region. The most memorable event that most of my guests hold onto of our special wedding day was that we were all together. Our world was different, my life was going to be different, things had changed, and we celebrated! The feeling of having all my close friends and family together with me after such a tragic week made the day special for everyone. We ended the evening with “Proud to Be an American” and began our new lives as a married couple in a post-9/11 world.
I love this, and the wedding is a great example but "you only experince this once in your life", well this is not true because many people get remarreid and feel that love again :)
DeleteIt is true that some people get remarried, but I think when you are getting married you do not enter your marriage with the intention of ever getting married again, so you plan your wedding day with the thought that this will be the only time that you experience your own wedding.
DeleteThis is great, the story started out kind of sad but it ended up happy. This does explain the quote really well because it has a current event for the example.
DeleteI think that your example goes along really well with this quote. My oldest sister recently got married and my house was a chaotic mess. After the wedding my house was calm again and my family had grown.
DeleteI mean 2001!!!!!! Thanks for catching that, Stephanie!
DeleteI totally agree with this quote and have experienced it many times. Many of these experiences have been with gymnastics. While you’re learning a new skill, you can hurt yourself by not following the skill all the way through or by not knowing how to come out of it safely. I know many people who have broken bones or gotten concussions by doing this. I have broken my fingers several times by grabbing the bar the wrong way and have had to wait for them to heal before I could continue doing anything. After the bones are all healed, one of the first thing the coaches make us do is the skill we got hurt on. They say we have learned our lesson after getting hurt so we now know how to avoid it. They, as usual, are right. We almost always get the skill afterwards.
ReplyDeleteI really like this because I feel gymnastics is extremely relatable in this context. This opened my mind to the sport and the quote, I used worse examples, and now I understand it better because it is more clear.
DeleteI like how you took gymnastics, an actual part of your life, and twisted it into the quote. Great example because this shows that you actually experinced it!
Delete"All great changes are preceded by chaos." I think this quote means that there has to be a problem in order for something to be resolved. I am currently experiencing something like this. If you are so stressed out about English that you can't sleep and you come home crying every day, and you get a schedule change, and you are happy about the schedule change, a great change was preceded by chaos. In other words, you were struggling and stressed out, and because of it, you got a schedule change and now you are happy because you are free of stress. Therefore, this quote has a ring of truth to it.
ReplyDeleteVictoria, I'm sorry that this class causes you such stress. I know that you are capable of tackling all the challenges presented in the class, but I definitely don't want it to upset you.
DeleteMost people have their own opinion on this quote. Some agree, agreeing that a difficult time leads to a road of success, but some may disagree. If you think about it, this quote is very true. Think of your favorite celebrity. Maybe they are an actress, a singer, a poet, etc. Think about all the trouble they went through to get where they are now. From a declined movie audition to beating stage fright, there could be a number of things that held these people back at one point. If you really take time to think, it’s just the same for any ordinary person. At one point in everyone’s life, they face a challenge or go through a crazy time that leads them to the person they are now. Most changes people go through are good ones in the end, no matter what kind of person they used to be. So, when I think of this quote, I think about how everyone goes through a tough time in their lives, which in the end, turn around and create a great change.
ReplyDeleteI really like this. You decribed chaos in this case very well. I like the way you used someone's favorite celebrity to desribe how someone is on that climb to reach what they want.
DeleteOne example of this quote, in the not so distant past, is the Civil Rights Movement. Towards the middle of the 1900’s, African American citizens of the United States were tired of being treated like they were not as important as the white population. Everything was segregated, including water fountains, bathrooms, and even parks. So, they acted out. There were some peaceful protests, but there were also many violent acts against both the blacks and the whites. Many African Americans were hung, shot, and brutally murdered.
ReplyDeleteHowever, following all these cruel and malicious acts, the African Americans were granted rights. Though things were not completely equal, there were laws passed against segregation. Finally, they were able to do things like vote and share public areas. So yes, I agree with the statement that all great changes are preceded by chaos.
I really like this example! I don't know much about the Civil Rights Movement, so through reading this I learned something new and I got the quote better explained to me.
DeleteI agree. That's a good example, how there was a great change after all the violent things that happened, which was that the African Americans were granted rights.
DeleteI think that this was a great example, which sort of sums up the idea of this quote. Most change is right after chaos, which I think is mostly just violence, like any war that has ever happened.
DeleteI enjoyed how you incorporated events from the 1900's into this paragraph. It shows your knowledge of history, and explains the quote completely.
DeleteChanges are preceded by chaos
ReplyDeleteThis quote is saying that before a big revolution happens or some other major event, there is chaos. Like before many civil rights changes, there is a protest or a revolution. People fight for their right, then it will change, but people don’t just waltz into congress and say, “hey guys can I get this, this, and this changed from how America has been doing it for 200 years, thanks.” That doesn’t just happen, there is chaos!
That's very true. I found it funny how you said "...people just don't waltz into congress...".
Delete
ReplyDelete“All great changes are preceded from chaos.” Well, I’m not really sure that I understand this quote. I know it is saying in order to completely change something, there must be a bunch of chaos. So I guess that I understand.
For example, say that you wanted to change the way your political system in your society worked. You would cause complete and total chaos! This would be a huge event and in order to make this great change. So yes, all great changes are preceded from chaos.
Colleen, I really like how you put this the way you did. Even though you did not understand the quote, you still put an example of how you can change a political system.
DeleteI agree, Colleen. I liked your example when you said, say that you wanted to change the way your political system in your society worked. You would cause complete and total chaos! This is very true when creating a new system.
Delete
ReplyDeleteAll great changes are preceded by chaos
What I think about this quote is that all changes aren’t easy. To change something or someone or just change in general is going to cause some chaos, for example when my mom told me that I was moving with my dad as soon as school ended it was a lot of things that I had to go through and do like I only had about 3 weeks to get all of my things together I lost things I found things and it was just all of this chaos going on around me it was stressful and irritating but afterwards I guess it got better. Another example is last summer my mom and the family we all took a trip to the outer banks NC also known as OBX and we got someone to watch are dog cause he hates it when we leave especially when he is home by himself so while we were gone the dog sitter left after she feed him and all then about an hour or two she came back and he wasn’t there he had torn the couches up and jumped out of my brothers window and when we got home we had to buy new couches and get my brother a new window and what we learned in the process never leave that dog in the house by himself he will go out of his mind so now whenever we go on vacations we always take the dog over to my aunt’s house or we take him to my friend’s house so that never happens again but as you know everything happens for a reason my dog doing what he did caused my mom to get the house redone just all together so now we have a new and improved house so those are my examples of great changes caused by chaos.
Your dog was very amusing in this story because of how he wrecked your house in a matter of hours. The story well explains how the statement "All great changes are preceded by chaos".
DeleteI believe this quote is true. There are many examples of the quote everywhere. One example is 9/11. After the terrorist attacks, America became stronger and had more protection. The Civil War is another example. The Confederates (South- for slavery) and the Unionists (North- against slavery) fought against each other for the freedom of slaves. Abraham Lincoln led the Union side and after the war, he ordered that all slaves be released from the South. So in the end, America had freed the slaves. This brought together the countries.
ReplyDeleteThis quote means that if something terrible happens, something good will most likely come out of it. One time, my sister and I were racing and I tripped on the sidewalk. I face-planted into the cement and my face was totally bloody and ripped apart because I landed so hard. I had to go to school with SpongeBob or Barbie band aids completely covering my face. I still have scars on my face, elbows, and knees. Even though I was made fun of, after I recovered I had a lot more confidence. This is a quote that I think everyone should live by because it happens every day.
Chaos and Change
ReplyDeleteMy experience with this quote is in one of my short stories, about a group of friends in a boarding school that found out about a scandal. They found out that a teacher was laundering money, and they, at first, didn’t think anything of it. Although they realized they should’ve spoken up, after the school went up in chaos, when they discovered the bank account empty. They went all around interviewing teachers and students, but found nothing. After a week of that, the friends got together and decided to do the right thing and report it. Then after that, the school established a system of banking, and everything was fixed.
That isn’t the only thing that has sprung into my mind. The other instance was in real life, with the Sandy Hook tragedy. :( After that horrible, chaotic event, they started to change security in schools. They added other security officials, and started arming and training teachers. I feel that is a great change, but I also feel as though that whole tragedy could’ve been avoided as well.
I agree that the Sandy Hook tragedy didn't need to happen but there needed to be a great change for the school security to change.
DeleteI agree about the Sandy Hook shooting. It really awakened people about gun laws because before nobody was actually doing anything about it, they were just complaining a lot. Now we have tightened gun laws and I think something good has come out of it.
DeleteAll Great Changes
ReplyDeleteThe people in America have experienced this quote in Oklahoma after the tornados that struck them. They realized that they need more underground shelters to go into for safety. Not a lot of the schools had them and now a lot of them do have them now that they realized how critical they are and how they can save a lot of lives. They realized that there wouldn’t be as many deaths or injuries if they would have had these shelters. Although the tornados were chaotic and awful, and they created a great change that will benefit a lot of people.
I really lke the examples you gave!! The Sandy Hook tragedy was devastating, and they way you talk about being more cautious with safety, was very good to add. By the way, what story is that? It sounds really interesting.
ReplyDelete